Dayton Audio MK402 Bookshelf Speaker Teases Audiophile for only $70/Pair

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
From the Dayton Audio product information (see bold bullet-point):
Highlights
  • 4" treated paper woofer optimized for low-frequency extension
  • 3/4" tweeter offers a very airy top end to create a beautiful ambiance
  • The impressive dispersion of this speaker allows it to be used in many configurations in a room without deteriorated sound quality
  • The 4 ohm impedance allows a wide variety of amplifiers to used
  • Attractive textured, black vinyl finish that stands out
WTF?
Dayton reports efficiency at 84dB and believes 4 ohms allows a wider array of amps?

I do like that they chose the following as the primary declaration on their crossover:
More Than Just a Capacitor
:D

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Any progress?
Well, I installed the new crossover in both speakers and listened--good, and much better than the stock, but not great. The tweeter sounds a little tizzy. It may just need some attenuation--it measures very well in terms of distortion. If I can't get it up to my standards, I'll try the replacement tweeter I mentioned.

N

noaudiophile

Audiophyte
Dennis, I have been doing my measurements outside and windowing them for a while. The bass was measured on ground plane with the mic 4 feet away.

I'm still at the starting gate modifying these, but the Peerless XT25 will fit in the hole once you widen the cutout. I plan on using felt on the front to make up the depth difference, which will also help with diffraction.

That is about as far as I got, so I'll need to do driver in box measurements, and then a few rounds of ordering crossover parts to get anything usable. I'm backed up with reviews and real life so it will probably be a few weeks before I have anything new to share.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Dennis, I have been doing my measurements outside and windowing them for a while. The bass was measured on ground plane with the mic 4 feet away.

I'm still at the starting gate modifying these, but the Peerless XT25 will fit in the hole once you widen the cutout. I plan on using felt on the front to make up the depth difference, which will also help with diffraction.

That is about as far as I got, so I'll need to do driver in box measurements, and then a few rounds of ordering crossover parts to get anything usable. I'm backed up with reviews and real life so it will probably be a few weeks before I have anything new to share.
I haven't made any further progress on my mod. I'm not sure a new tweet will help given that the stock unit measures well both in terms of distortion and frequency response, and the XT25 has a reputation for problems at lower crossover points. If you're considering using one of those felt rings you get from, say Madisound, I wouldn't. The sharp edge introduces much more diffraction than it eliminates. I've looked at some of your measurements of other speakers, and you seem to be getting very good resolution. I'm not sure why we don't agree more on the Dayton measurements. What mic are you using?

N

noaudiophile

Audiophyte
the XT25 has a reputation for problems at lower crossover points
I noticed that as well - looks like it has a spike around 800Hz that mirrors the impedance as it approaches FS. Hopefully I can hide that with the crossover.

If you're considering using one of those felt rings you get from, say Madisound, I wouldn't.
I'm using adhesive craft felt. Had luck with it in the past. It's about 1.5mm thick and I'm going to cover the majority of the front baffle. I'll let you know how it works.

What mic are you using?
It's a minidsp unit. I have a feeling it's that either I'm slightly off axis, or the speakers are just such low quality that they measure different inside the same batch.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis