The Time/Phase Coherent Broadcast Masters Made by TLSG

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah... a lot of the higher technical stuff I don't entirely understand, but it really does feel like I was in a hall. A lot of dynamic peaks and there's some surprisingly deep bass during a few passages that rumbled my seat. The kind of bass made with instruments in a big hall.

The music isn't necessarily my cup of tea, but I'm enjoying this recording. I'm closing my eyes and imagining the hall below me, and explaining to my wife the significance of the recording... to the best of my ability. :p

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Yeah... a lot of the higher technical stuff I don't entirely understand, but it really does feel like I was in a hall. A lot of dynamic peaks and there's some surprisingly deep bass during a few passages that rumbled my seat. The kind of bass made with instruments in a big hall.

The music isn't necessarily my cup of tea, but I'm enjoying this recording. I'm closing my eyes and imagining the hall below me, and explaining to my wife the significance of the recording... to the best of my ability. :p
I'm glad you enjoyed it. Did you understand the metering if you watched it while the recordings were playing? I would have thought it would be self explanatory to AH members, but my eldest son thinks not, and that I should give a longer explanation about it. One of the objects of putting up these recordings is to see where the power demands of music really are, and I will say it again, it is not in sub range.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm glad you enjoyed it. Did you understand the metering if you watched it while the recordings were playing? I would have thought it would be self explanatory to AH members, but my eldest son thinks not, and that I should give a longer explanation about it. One of the objects of putting up these recordings is to see where the power demands of music really are, and I will say it again, it is not in sub range.
Yes, I understand the metering and can see where the power demands are in the recordings. They coincide with a healthy blast when listening at reference!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Yes, I understand the metering and can see where the power demands are in the recordings. They coincide with a healthy blast when listening at reference!
Thanks for your reply. It is good to know what the metering indicates. Yes, I used to live on the wild side with my recordings and push the limits. This is vital with analog tape as otherwise signal to noise is degraded. It is with digital also, but analog tape is inherently much more noisy than digital formats.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I finally had an opportunity to listen to these recordings on my music system. They're both what I call "eyes closed" recordings. I find I can't appreciate the imaging the recording produces on good speakers with my eyes open; I think the intrusion of vision won't allow my mind to let my hearing be accurately interpreted. The sense of space is remarkable. My music system also does better with your voice. Baritone male voices are often a good test of speaker quality, I think. You sound very much "in the room" on my music system.

Commercial recordings with a similar sense of space are rare. A commercial recording that is very good is a tribute album by Dave Grusin to Henry Mancini:

https://www.amazon.com/Two-Road-Dave-Grusin/dp/B000W1271C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519141173&sr=8-1&keywords=grusin+mancini

It was engineered by Al Schmitt, and it has such a profound sense of space I can't believe it wasn't recorded live to two-track by a pair of coincident cardioids. I played a few tracks to prime my ears for your recordings, and I recommend a listen if you can.

You really should make more of your recordings available.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I finally had an opportunity to listen to these recordings on my music system. They're both what I call "eyes closed" recordings. I find I can't appreciate the imaging the recording produces on good speakers with my eyes open; I think the intrusion of vision won't allow my mind to let my hearing be accurately interpreted. The sense of space is remarkable. My music system also does better with your voice. Baritone male voices are often a good test of speaker quality, I think. You sound very much "in the room" on my music system.

Commercial recordings with a similar sense of space are rare. A commercial recording that is very good is a tribute album by Dave Grusin to Henry Mancini:

https://www.amazon.com/Two-Road-Dave-Grusin/dp/B000W1271C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519141173&sr=8-1&keywords=grusin+mancini

It was engineered by Al Schmitt, and it has such a profound sense of space I can't believe it wasn't recorded live to two-track by a pair coincident cardioids. I played a few tracks to prime my ears for your recordings, and I recommend a listen if you can.

You really should make more of your recordings available.
Thanks for that review. I'm glad you have a chance to hear it under more optimal conditions. I guess I had better start looking at my archives.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan

It was engineered by Al Schmitt, and it has such a profound sense of space I can't believe it wasn't recorded live to two-track by a pair of coincident cardioids. I played a few tracks to prime my ears for your recordings, and I recommend a listen if you can.
Ha! I was just reading the liner notes, and at least a couple of instruments on some tracks were mixed from recordings in two locations. So much for the live-to-two-track theory. Still, the album images better than most commercial recordings.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Ha! I was just reading the liner notes, and at least a couple of instruments on some tracks were mixed from recordings in two locations. So much for the live-to-two-track theory. Still, the album images better than most commercial recordings.
By the way I should have commented about your favorable comments on the voice quality. Again I'm odd man out. For this application and for any spot mics I use omni mics and NOT cardiod. Pretty much the whole world uses cardiod, but in my view that is wrong. The fact the mic is not directional does not matter one wit. All mics can be directional by virtue of proximity. Omni mics have a much more natural and balanced sound in this application. I used an omni phantom powered condenser mic. It was a Shure SM 80 omni studio condenser powered from my RME DAC/mixer.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis