DeJay

DeJay

Audiophyte
I'd like to buy/build a system that will take me to retirement in 5 yrs and ultimately to the end of my life.
Looking for combo av/ stereo. I am married. lol
Not willing to spend my entire 401k on one but
could probably drop 10K. Once again..married and she tolerates if not too complex.
Hope to use some of my existing gear.
If not, so be it.
Being 61 y/o and a fan of recorded and live music I want to go out with quality and reliability.
I listen to music 10 to 14 hours a day as a cdl driver, primarily xm or my mp3 player or burned cds.
My gear is all 10 years or older and still sounds good to me, which is what matters most right?
Not sure it would be adequate 10+ yrs down the road. This would be my final purchase.
I am seeking opinions as to what you would do in my shoes.
Also looking to incorporate xm satellite radio and the digital computer files of my 8000+ cd collection for everyday use/playback which I don't have now.

Currently using emotiva lpa-1 7 channel amp,
mmc-1 pre/processor thru a apc conditioner.

oppo 980 dvd

sony 650 5 disc cd..it's old I know

creek headphone amp and akg701 headphones.

rega turntable...have many records just don't seem to use it as often as the cd player now, I switched to cds in the 80's like most and am not swithing back.

nakamichi cassette player and a phillips and harmon kardon disc recorders..all somewhat obsolete nowdays but again I'm old.

My current speakers are magnapan 6.1 w hsu sub and polk center and surrounds.

Quality wire and cables.

I also use a pair of vintage full range pioneer hpm-100 for 2 channel.

I'm still on a tube television w a sony hd xbr.
A smart tv is in my future, as is a new computer.

How would you accomplish these retirement goals?
Not necessarily a gear recommendation, but those are welcome, but a system build for my future wants and needs.

Thanks in advance as this is my first post.

Dennis in MN.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Sounds like you already have quite a system working for you.

Certainly I can pipe in on the recommendation for displays, which should have some homework time put into them just as audio gets some homework. I'm not sure what direction you want to go with your audio really as the current gear really should sound fantastic. A big thing in life is that good speakers are good speakers. They don't suddenly become obsolete. Since you already have a good setup, you will want to look for ways to improve the setup and that likely means looking beyond the gear, at the room itself, and what you can do to improve the sound of the room as best you can.

A new receiver is just one of those things that must be purchased every 7-10 years because of the new standards in audio/video that come to market. Waiting a few years after a technology comes out is good to do so that you aren't paying to much of a premium for something which will drop significantly in price after a few years.

I certainly also spend some time looking on Craigslist and eBay for bargains which may be out there in my area. Have no doubt that a good quality $2,000 retail product can often be had a few years down the line for $1,000 or less.

Things I never buy used include displays. So, a good flat panel from a store is certainly the way to go.

It would be good to know more about your room and what genre of music you typically listen to. Sounds like a lot of music will be going on, so perhaps a focus on improving that may be a high budget consideration.

For me, if I were looking to get a really good TV, then I would start my search with LG's OLED products. If they had something in a size that I found acceptable and within my budget, then that's a great way to go.

Of course, front projection is another option for some, but not everyone.

Welcome to the forums!

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I'd like to buy/build a system that will take me to retirement in 5 yrs and ultimately to the end of my life.
Looking for combo av/ stereo. I am married. lol
Not willing to spend my entire 401k on one but
could probably drop 10K. Once again..married and she tolerates if not too complex.
Hope to use some of my existing gear.
If not, so be it.
Being 61 y/o and a fan of recorded and live music I want to go out with quality and reliability.
I listen to music 10 to 14 hours a day as a cdl driver, primarily xm or my mp3 player or burned cds.
My gear is all 10 years or older and still sounds good to me, which is what matters most right?
Not sure it would be adequate 10+ yrs down the road. This would be my final purchase.
I am seeking opinions as to what you would do in my shoes.
Also looking to incorporate xm satellite radio and the digital computer files of my 8000+ cd collection for everyday use/playback which I don't have now.

Currently using emotiva lpa-1 7 channel amp,
mmc-1 pre/processor thru a apc conditioner.

oppo 980 dvd

sony 650 5 disc cd..it's old I know

creek headphone amp and akg701 headphones.

rega turntable...have many records just don't seem to use it as often as the cd player now, I switched to cds in the 80's like most and am not swithing back.

nakamichi cassette player and a phillips and harmon kardon disc recorders..all somewhat obsolete nowdays but again I'm old.

My current speakers are magnapan 6.1 w hsu sub and polk center and surrounds.

Quality wire and cables.

I also use a pair of vintage full range pioneer hpm-100 for 2 channel.

I'm still on a tube television w a sony hd xbr.
A smart tv is in my future, as is a new computer.

How would you accomplish these retirement goals?
Not necessarily a gear recommendation, but those are welcome, but a system build for my future wants and needs.

Thanks in advance as this is my first post.

Dennis in MN.
Dennis
I'm in your same ballpark as far as age and an upcoming retirement plan. Glad to see another geezer looking at some good gear. Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your time here. Lots of answers.

I will tell you of a hazard of this forum and that's no lie. Once you get accustomed to some of the advice and the sound that's possible: your 401k may not be enough ! Folks here are experts at great sound and paving the way through upgrades.

Most good gear will last a decade or more and some types of gear, longer. But once you are taught the upgrade bug, oh man, it's hard not to always have some new purchase on the horizon.

First question: where would you like to begin? What aspect of your existing stuff seems to give you the most problems or has the largest shortcoming? We can start there.

Again, welcome.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I, also, have to ask why you are looking at revamping your system from an audio standpoint.
I thought maybe you were dowsizing into one of those upscale retirement>assisted living>nursing homes (you stay in the same unit, but the level of care changes as your needs require) so you were looking for something compact.
However, it sounds like you are staying home for the foreseeable future, so I would probably leave well enough alone and simply replace any unit which might die in the interim.
BMXTRIX suggests replacing your AVR every 7-10 years, but given you still have a tube TV, you do not seem the guy who is worried about having the latest features, so that may not apply. That is a bit of a dilemma. I know my transition from 70-80's old school stereo gear to a modern AVR was not instant and I still have glitches where my system goes AWOL and it take me a minute or two to realize that I inadvertently switched the remote to control zone 2 (which I don't have). I can imagine a lot of frustration if it happened later in life (depending on how well my mental faculties hold up). So on the one hand, more frequent upgrades would result in easier learning curves. On the other hand, you could buy a couple of units the next time there is a sale equivalent to the recent Denon 4300 for $800 and have a familiar spare waiting when/if the first dies with no intention of further modernization. Or on the other foot, you can consider it a good exercise/challenge to deal with whatever new stuff comes out when the need arises.

Recognize that there are indications that the older AVR's are probably more reliable than the new ones. At some point AVR manufacturers started targeting a life of 7-10 years for their AVR's so if you are not interested in on-going modernization and you have an older unit, you might hold onto it, or evn find something on Craigslist.

I don't remember the date that manufacturers started making planned obsolescence a deliberate aspect of their design, but there are guys here that could help with that.

DeJay

DeJay

Audiophyte
Going forward I'd like to incorporate digital tech into my system.
A server/player type unit maybe.
Never had a priority for compressed music but will be the future if just for ease.

I will probably lose the separates as i think a modern quality a/v receiver would suit my needs.

Both sets of speakers are awesome but both are large and downsizing is the order of the day but smaller full range speakers are kinda spendy.

I could sacrifice surround sound speakers for quality but smaller mains even if it means a sub.

I've subscribed to the rags for years and lurked forums for knowledge but haven't seen anyone speak of the end of life requirements of an "audiofile" or as I would rather be referred to, as a fan of sound.

BTW my choice of later life living arrangements would never dictate my listening options.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Going forward I'd like to incorporate digital tech into my system.
A server/player type unit maybe.
Never had a priority for compressed music but will be the future if just for ease.
DeJay
The world of a digital media server and an all digital set of sources is one of the best things about modernizing your music collection and systems. Contrary to what many analog purists would have you believe, the highest quality and easiest to use music there is exists in the digital realm. Its also where the most features exist and where modern tech really shines when compared to "vintage" stuff.

You used the phrase "never had a priority for compressed music" as a seeming negative thing. And indeed, if one had to compress your tunes to go digital it might very well be a negative. Thankfully, there's no reason to negatively compress your tunes. I certainly don't.

There's a forum thread entitled "media servers/PCs" or something close to that. In the media servers/PC thread are where a lot of the discussions around building that digital system revolve. When I started, I played my music the old fashioned way. Today, all my stuff is digital. All uncompressed and stored and used in a way I can get to it from just about all my output sources.

Using computers as my music sources and changing my vision of what a sound system should look like and be able to accomplish was a revelation. When I started, I was prepared to go old school : separates and very distinctive old school ways of playing music. I got quite an edumacation on what digital could accomplish and after a fair bit of experimenting, I am thrilled with the result.

This is just one area to spend some time thinking before purchasing. Investigate whats possible with digital tech and it may very well change where you wish to go.

Good luck !

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Okay, to cover the big picture:
1) 10K is a decent budget.
2) Understand that $1200 will get you a decent AVR that will provide quality sound. If you are willing to wait until the model change later in the year, this would be ~$900. Ampliofication is a mature science and unless you select speakers that are very demanding, an AVR will cover the bill. However, AVR's in this price range will have pre-outputs so if you currently have good amps, you can continue to use them, if you like.
3) For a CD/DVD/BD player Oppo is king and you can select whichever model fits your needs, or if you want to go budget, you really won't lose much if you just go with a Sony BD player.
4) I don't know TV's/projectors well, but $2000 should cover that reasonably well.
5) So, that ballparks you at $6000 for speakers. Magnapans are a tough act to follow! Martin-Logan's electrostatics are nice and have decents "sub/woofers" built in for full range, however, they may push the $6000 limit depending on your choice. Also, they have a small sweetspot and are not conducive to groups experiencing the perfection they offer in that tiny sweetspot (but I presume you know this from your Magnepans).
6) For streaming music, I am a fan of Pandora because it is ridiculously easy to develop your own profile such that you have random shuffle of music tailored to your preferences. It takes about 2 years, IME, to really get things very good. The downside to Pandora is you cannot play a specific song on demand, nor can you play an entire album. I don't mind that because I can do that from my CDs, or simply play from YouTube. DO you currently have a Roku or other streaming device to access Hulu or Netflix, etc?

Item #6 above is probably the biggest decision you need to make early on as it could effect your budget depending on how much media you want to store (storage is pretty cheap, so you probably have no reason to compress files to MP3). I proposed what I know and Buknekked proposed what he knows (and he may know mine as well). There are several good options and I only know mine so am in no position to say mine is better, only that it works well enough for me that I haven't looked at other options.

I would suggest you provide something in the way of your location in your avatar box. I understand you might not want your ID/address to be known, but at least a state or maybe for one of the skinny states, specify east/west or north/south.
No guarantees there is someone in your area willing to help, but if you are in Georgia where I am, I could give you a demonstration which would save you a lot of time developing a real-world understanding of how it works and what it can and cannot do.

DeJay

DeJay

Audiophyte
DeJay
The world of a digital media server and an all digital set of sources is one of the best things about modernizing your music collection and systems. Contrary to what many analog purists would have you believe, the highest quality and easiest to use music there is exists in the digital realm. Its also where the most features exist and where modern tech really shines when compared to "vintage" stuff.

You used the phrase "never had a priority for compressed music" as a seeming negative thing. And indeed, if one had to compress your tunes to go digital it might very well be a negative. Thankfully, there's no reason to negatively compress your tunes. I certainly don't.

There's a forum thread entitled "media servers/PCs" or something close to that. In the media servers/PC thread are where a lot of the discussions around building that digital system revolve. When I started, I played my music the old fashioned way. Today, all my stuff is digital. All uncompressed and stored and used in a way I can get to it from just about all my output sources.

Using computers as my music sources and changing my vision of what a sound system should look like and be able to accomplish was a revelation. When I started, I was prepared to go old school : separates and very distinctive old school ways of playing music. I got quite an edumacation on what digital could accomplish and after a fair bit of experimenting, I am thrilled with the result.

This is just one area to spend some time thinking before purchasing. Investigate whats possible with digital tech and it may very well change where you wish to go.

Good luck !
I may haved misspoke when referring to all things digital.
I definitely depend on digital sound since most of my music nowdays come via the cd and lately some streaming.
Like the old freezer in the basement that won't die or the rotary phone that continues to live I'm old and it is not easy to give up outdated tech and am hoping to intergrate both. I guess I don't realize how much the newer technologies have become the norm for most.
I'm guessing 8K cds on a server will take up less space than my 5 cabinets and significantly less than a friend whose entire basement houses his record collection.

Last edited:
DeJay

DeJay

Audiophyte
Okay, to cover the big picture:
1) 10K is a decent budget.
2) Understand that $1200 will get you a decent AVR that will provide quality sound. If you are willing to wait until the model change later in the year, this would be ~$900. Ampliofication is a mature science and unless you select speakers that are very demanding, an AVR will cover the bill. However, AVR's in this price range will have pre-outputs so if you currently have good amps, you can continue to use them, if you like.
3) For a CD/DVD/BD player Oppo is king and you can select whichever model fits your needs, or if you want to go budget, you really won't lose much if you just go with a Sony BD player.
4) I don't know TV's/projectors well, but $2000 should cover that reasonably well.
5) So, that ballparks you at $6000 for speakers. Magnapans are a tough act to follow! Martin-Logan's electrostatics are nice and have decents "sub/woofers" built in for full range, however, they may push the $6000 limit depending on your choice. Also, they have a small sweetspot and are not conducive to groups experiencing the perfection they offer in that tiny sweetspot (but I presume you know this from your Magnepans).
6) For streaming music, I am a fan of Pandora because it is ridiculously easy to develop your own profile such that you have random shuffle of music tailored to your preferences. It takes about 2 years, IME, to really get things very good. The downside to Pandora is you cannot play a specific song on demand, nor can you play an entire album. I don't mind that because I can do that from my CDs, or simply play from YouTube. DO you currently have a Roku or other streaming device to access Hulu or Netflix, etc?

Item #6 above is probably the biggest decision you need to make early on as it could effect your budget depending on how much media you want to store (storage is pretty cheap, so you probably have no reason to compress files to MP3). I proposed what I know and Buknekked proposed what he knows (and he may know mine as well). There are several good options and I only know mine so am in no position to say mine is better, only that it works well enough for me that I haven't looked at other options.

I would suggest you provide something in the way of your location in your avatar box. I understand you might not want your ID/address to be known, but at least a state or maybe for one of the skinny states, specify east/west or north/south.
No guarantees there is someone in your area willing to help, but if you are in Georgia where I am, I could give you a demonstration which would save you a lot of time developing a real-world understanding of how it works and what it can and cannot do.
Appreciate the response & suggestion ..SKOL Vikes.
Not as well versed in the digital or streaming realms but I manage to muddle thru.
I must be able to pull a specific song at will so wondering if a server is what i would want.
No streaming options on the tv yet, still working full service cable but is in the future w a new tv.

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Appreciate the response & suggestion ..SKOL Vikes.
Not as well versed in the digital or streaming realms but I manage to muddle thru.
I must be able to pull a specific song at will so wondering if a server is what i would want.
No streaming options on the tv yet, still working full service cable but is in the future w a new tv.
I am a huge fan of the picture quality and vibrancy of OLED tv's. Would love to pick one up. But honestly, for a better and faster streaming experience than smart tv's I'd look at something like a roku or Nvidia Shield TV. With the shield you could even rip your music collection onto your pc and stream it to the shield.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I retired early back in 2006 before returning to the workforce in 2013 to save my sanity. After working full time since I was 13 - sitting on my butt for 15 years just was not a sanity preserving option. On the other hand I'll probably retire again in 3 years with a ton of easy sanity saving projects on my plate. My advice is to save your money and wait until you retire or just before you retire to make your last major upgrades. You're going to need projects to keep your mind occupied once you retire and there are sure to be new technologies introduced over the next 5 years - especially in TVs and TV audio integration. It'll likely be a harder sell to your wife then but you'll want projects to keep your mind sharp and you out of her hair.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis