Weather continues to be… interesting

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention... the forecast for today is sunny, with a high of 78F.
Make that sunny, with a high of 78, and moderate chance of forest fires and mudslides. Not to mention the earthquakes and drought.

(Apologies for being silly about the recent mudslides and forest fires in southern California. It was an effort to poke fun at Irv, not to make light of a genuine disaster.)

Irv, if you're from the Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse area, that explains everything :rolleyes:.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
We also get nice displays of freezing fog when there is open water over the Leech Lake system and the air temp gets around zero. The ice coats the trees, and the sun shines though the ice crystals.
That makes you one of the few people who understand how strikingly beautiful ice fogs can be. I've tried describing it to my wife, but found it difficult. She's from southern Virginia.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Make that sunny, with a high of 78, and moderate chance of forest fires and mudslides. Not to mention the earthquakes and drought.
Absolutely. While MN has two seasons, IMHO, snow and mosquitos, one could say that CA has two seasons, fires and mudslides.

As for earthquakes, as if to say goodbye from the Bay Area, the recent Berkeley quake (4.4) occurred a couple of days before I left at about 2:30am, and woke me up from the shaking rattling the diffusers in my kitchen light fixture.

Irv, if you're from the Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse area, that explains everything :rolleyes:.
You have no idea...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Absolutely. While MN has two seasons, IMHO, snow and mosquitos, one could say that CA has two seasons, fires and mudslides.

As for earthquakes, as if to say goodbye from the Bay Area, the recent Berkeley quake (4.4) occurred a couple of days before I left at about 2:30am, and woke me up from the shaking rattling the diffusers in my kitchen light fixture.

You have no idea...
Irv, you forgot. We also have road construction season. However it does overlap mosquito season. I still find it a waste to live here.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Last week Friday it was 52 degrees when I left my shop. Literally went 4 miles to the next freeway exit and temp had dropped 9 degrees. By the time I made it home, temp had dropped to 34 degrees and was still falling. We had snow the last 36 hours. News media was making out like it was a big deal. We live in Wisconsin! It is snow. Total was about 6-8 inches depending on how close to the lake you were. It's snow. We get that here occasionally. I don't get all the news drama.

Worst part was getting up early to get into work so I could clear the snow before my guys got in and packed it all down in the parking lot. Plus yesterday morning, skidsteer had a hose come loose so it was bleeding hydraulic fluid all over. Looked like I was dragging a dead animal up and down the drive. It's over 40 years old so not easy to work on. That will wear you out standing inside the cage bent over to get into the guts and fighting with a stupid hose clamp. Easy fix that took me about 2 hours because of all the dicking around to find it, find a wrench that fits, etc. Better than shoveling!

I don't miss living in Minnesota. Used to be up near Lake of the Woods. If my kitchen window was frozen up so I couldn't see the thermometer, I knew it was at least -25 F outside.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
It's snow. We get that here occasionally. I don't get all the news drama.
The TV people love drama, and the TV weather people love weather drama. They hype it up and do all they can to make it seem worse that it is.

My pet peeve is how much they repeat what the wind chill temperature is. It's a lower number than air temperature. Wind chill is an estimation of how cold it seems to wet bare skin. When it's cold and windy, don't run around wet and bare!

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
it always cracks me up when someone says the weather is so lousy why would anyone live here .......... and they continue to do so !

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
it always cracks me up when someone says the weather is so lousy why would anyone live here .......... and they continue to do so !
You have a rather limited perspective!
1) Family
2) Friends
3) Career
4) Trust - Knowing who you can depend on to do things right the first time.

The benefit of having deep history/experience in a community is not trivial!

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
You have a rather limited perspective!
1) Family
2) Friends
3) Career
4) Trust - Knowing who you can depend on to do things right the first time.

The benefit of having deep history/experience in a community is not trivial!
Kurt, you're wrong, that's the perspective 'I' in fact have ! you misunderstood my comment, no worries !!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Lol. I’m a prime example of this. I would have left years ago but I have kids in school and my wife, and we’ve had medical issues to deal with in her family so in my dream world when the kids are done with school, we gone....

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Lol. I’m a prime example of this. I would have left years ago but I have kids in school and my wife, and we’ve had medical issues to deal with in her family so in my dream world when the kids are done with school, we gone....
William, I hear ya' but ........my one son stayed local, we have grandkids and we're goin' no where !

I snowmobiled for 42 years so I actually loved winter, SE Pa is a piece of cake compared to upstate NY (home). It amazes me how people down here complain about winter, they know nothing !!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
In south TX you never know what weather you'll get. Sitting at 19 degrees now. Supposed to be in the 70's this weekend.

As the saying goes "If you don't like the weather in TX, wait 15 minutes"

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis