Salk Signature Sound Song3-A Update

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
That is the best room shot but with the older setup of home built, JBL plans speakers on the very right side next to each other. They were my first real L/R speakers a long time ago. Walnut, solid core ply, etc. They are replaced with one JBL and collecting dust in the garage even though they are covered.

You can barely see one of my passive subs in the far left side under the wall clock. the other is better seen in one of my sig line file pictures. 15" JBL, the other is an exact copy. Now they both have upgraded drivers.
No I don't hear the piano feedback when the subs are going. Probably masked.
1 1/2" concrete under carpet and padding, just 1/2" but thick and dense carpet.

Plenty of room of a grand piano though. One in the picture is a baby grand, wife's family, grandparents I think. She plays it now and then.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
That is the best room shot but with the older setup of home built, JBL plans speakers on the very right side next to each other. They were my first real L/R speakers a long time ago. Walnut, solid core ply, etc. They are replaced with one JBL and collecting dust in the garage even though they are covered.

You can barely see one of my passive subs in the far left side under the wall clock. the other is better seen in one of my sig line file pictures. 15" JBL, the other is an exact copy. Now they both have upgraded drivers.
No I don't hear the piano feedback when the subs are going. Probably masked.
1 1/2" concrete under carpet and padding, just 1/2" but thick and dense carpet.

Plenty of room of a grand piano though. One in the picture is a baby grand, wife's family, grandparents I think. She plays it now and then.
I guess that's partly what you pay for - the instrument has to remain inert to not vibrate the tone bar or anything, even on a concert stage. Cool!!!

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Jim Salk once described his finishing process. I had to search a bit to find it:

I've never seen a finish that looks anywhere as good as Salk's finishes – not on any other speaker or any other wooden furniture.
Swerd
I can second that thought. The finish on my Salk Songtowers is flawless. top, bottom, sides; literally anywhere there is a finish its perfect. I have yet to tire looking at that "chatoyance" feature of the curly maple and not be engaged. There isn't another piece of furniture in the house like them.

ErnieM

ErnieM

Audioholic
I just received my new Salk Song 3-A speakers (148 day wait). They are amazing in both appearance and sound. I had Jim Salk match the finish to my Hsu rosewood center. Some impressions of the sound: drum brushes are crisp; acoustic guitar nicely pronounced, bass, piano, percussion all clear and very present (Charlie Haden Nocturne cd). “May it be” by Enya on her Greatest Hits cd – her voice has amazing clarity – this may become my “go to” track to demo. “Lizard” on King Crimson’s 40th Anniversary DVD – I heard details never noticed before. Alas these speakers also show which of my cds were poorly produced or recorded. My apologies for not posting for a long time – life is busy.
ErnieM Salk Song 3-A.jpg

ErnieM

ErnieM

Audioholic
@ErnieM , is that a BMR midrange driver?
I did not see the 3A on the Salk website!

Beautiful speakers!
The midrange is an Accutron ceramic - same as in their SoundScape 8 which lists at 9K/pair.

The 3As are on the Salk website. Click on the Products, then Song, and the 3-A page should be right there.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I see, in case someone else has trouble, the menu sequence is:
Products > Song Series > Song 3 > Song 3A

I was expecting the Song 3A to be listed under the Song Series instead under Song3

Thanks!

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
They look beautiful. The rosewood dye looks good. Was that done over a maple veneer?

Thanks for nice photo.

We expect a full report… … eventually :D.

Enjoy them over Thanksgiving.

ErnieM

ErnieM

Audioholic
They look beautiful. The rosewood dye looks good. Was that done over a maple veneer?

Thanks for nice photo.

We expect a full report… … eventually :D.

Enjoy them over Thanksgiving.
Thanks. The finish is curly walnut with rose-red dye. They are very lovely, and even the wife agrees. Sadly we depart tomorrow morning to visit our middle daughter in KY so they will sit silent over the holidays.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I just received my new Salk Song 3-A speakers (148 day wait). They are amazing in both appearance and sound. I had Jim Salk match the finish to my Hsu rosewood center. Some impressions of the sound: drum brushes are crisp; acoustic guitar nicely pronounced, bass, piano, percussion all clear and very present (Charlie Haden Nocturne cd). “May it be” by Enya on her Greatest Hits cd – her voice has amazing clarity – this may become my “go to” track to demo. “Lizard” on King Crimson’s 40th Anniversary DVD – I heard details never noticed before. Alas these speakers also show which of my cds were poorly produced or recorded. My apologies for not posting for a long time – life is busy.View attachment 22928
erniem
Welcome to the brotherhood of Salk fans. I got mine earlier in the year and I was as happy with mine as you seem to be with yours. That waiting period is soon forgotten once they arrive. Its a pain, but, its worth it. I hope you get years and years of enjoyment from yours.

oldgoalie33

oldgoalie33

Junior Audioholic
Congrats on the new Salks! Over the years I've owned SS8's, SongBirds, a one off pair of HT-1's, Song Surround 1's and 2 pairs of SongTowers. About a year and a half ago decided I was done with hifi so I sold everything I had in my 2 channel setup. I did keep a HT setup (no Salk speakers though). We recently sold our house and the HT setup went with it. As I was agonizing over what to get for speakers my wife said that we know what Jim's speakers are like so just get some more from him. Contacted Jim and he actually had a pair of SongTower RT's he took in trade along with a SongCenter. He's refinishing the SongTowers for me. So, this will be my third pair of SongTowers (first with the ribbon tweeter though) and my second SongCenter. Your wait will be well worth it!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Congrats on the new Salks! Over the years I've owned SS8's, SongBirds, a one off pair of HT-1's, Song Surround 1's and 2 pairs of SongTowers. About a year and a half ago decided I was done with hifi so I sold everything I had in my 2 channel setup. I did keep a HT setup (no Salk speakers though). We recently sold our house and the HT setup went with it. As I was agonizing over what to get for speakers my wife said that we know what Jim's speakers are like so just get some more from him. Contacted Jim and he actually had a pair of SongTower RT's he took in trade along with a SongCenter. He's refinishing the SongTowers for me. So, this will be my third pair of SongTowers (first with the ribbon tweeter though) and my second SongCenter. Your wait will be well worth it!
Wish my wife would tell me, "just get the Salks"! ;)

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
My wife is not an audiophile. She thinks I am addled because I like music so much. Having said that, she also said that if we put speakers in other parts of the house, its ok with her if I get more Salks. I think thats a blanket approval. You could just use that to get you a pair. I am sure it would be fine:D

ErnieM

ErnieM

Audioholic
My wife is appreciative both of the looks of the Salks and with their sound. Last evening my son and I went to see the new Thor film. In two key scenes the background music was Led Zep's Immigrant Song. This is surprising because Led Zep is famous for very rarely allowing their music to be used by others. Anyway, as soon as we got home I asked my son, "Well do you know what I'm going to do right now?" He replied, "You're going to play Immigrant Song on your new speakers." He was right! I did and his response after listening was that the film version was remixed to emphasize the bass. The version we listened to at home was from their Remastered cd set. My wife commented that there were details she had never heard before - especially in the vocals.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
My wife is appreciative both of the looks of the Salks and with their sound. Last evening my son and I went to see the new Thor film. In two key scenes the background music was Led Zep's Immigrant Song. This is surprising because Led Zep is famous for very rarely allowing their music to be used by others. Anyway, as soon as we got home I asked my son, "Well do you know what I'm going to do right now?" He replied, "You're going to play Immigrant Song on your new speakers." He was right! I did and his response after listening was that the film version was remixed to emphasize the bass. The version we listened to at home was from their Remastered cd set. My wife commented that there were details she had never heard before - especially in the vocals.
one of my pet peeves now that I have a dedicated room for music and a system that's the best I've ever owned is how bad some of my favorite music from the 70's sounds. While Led Zeppelin doesn't sound bad, its one of those situations where my memories of how great it sounded back in the day coming out of the speaker in the dash of my car verses how flat it can sound on a revealing system.

I remember it sounding better and having more drums and bass than it really does. Perhaps one of my favorite examples is "Mississippi Queen" by Mountain. I love that tune. Loved how it rocked back in the day. But today, it just doesn't have the same affect. Its flat.

What I think I'll do now is go and play "Immigrant Song" and "When the Levy Breaks". Two of my favorites.
I love 'em even if they don't match up to my memory.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
one of my pet peeves now that I have a dedicated room for music and a system that's the best I've ever owned is how bad some of my favorite music from the 70's sounds. While Led Zeppelin doesn't sound bad, its one of those situations where my memories of how great it sounded back in the day coming out of the speaker in the dash of my car verses how flat it can sound on a revealing system.

I remember it sounding better and having more drums and bass than it really does. Perhaps one of my favorite examples is "Mississippi Queen" by Mountain. I love that tune. Loved how it rocked back in the day. But today, it just doesn't have the same affect. Its flat.

What I think I'll do now is go and play "Immigrant Song" and "When the Levy Breaks". Two of my favorites.
I love 'em even if they don't match up to my memory.
You know, I get similar experiences with old video games.

In my memory, the graphics always look better than they really do when I come back and play them again today.

I think it's also just one of those oddities with the brain.....you just gloss over the old inadequacies in your memories and it takes a fresh look to remind you how crappy some aspect really was.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis