Svs ultra bookshelf vs Kef ci4100ql for LCR

A

Aman

Audioholic Intern
I know I will probably get beat up for asking this.

I was going with Svs ultra bookshelves for LCR in my media room but there is no way I can protect the speakers from my two kids and a third one that on the way this month. My wife is adamant that I get an in wall option instead. And so I have finalized the Kef ci4100ql.

My question is how much of a step down is it going to be from the Svs ultras. I have a denon 4300 and I am going to pick up an outlaw 5000 over the weekend if I find a special on it.

The kef ci4100ql was rated highly on one of the audioholics reviews.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I know I will probably get beat up for asking this.

I was going with Svs ultra bookshelves for LCR in my media room but there is no way I can protect the speakers from my two kids and a third one that on the way this month. My wife is adamant that I get an in wall option instead. And so I have finalized the Kef ci4100ql.

My question is how much of a step down is it going to be from the Svs ultras. I have a denon 4300 and I am going to pick up an outlaw 5000 over the weekend if I find a special on it.

The kef ci4100ql was rated highly on one of the audioholics reviews.
The good news is we can't beat you up, because we have no idea where you are. The bad news is that we would if we could!

The KEF THX in-wall will be fine. I heard some KEF THX in-walls a couple years ago and I thought they sounded pretty good at the time. You will have to take care to get them positioned well to get the best out of them, obviously. I am sure they could be made to sound pretty bad with some haphazard placement. Get placement right, and I think you will be very happy with them.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
One if the biggest problems with in-wall speakers is that they often do not have an enclosure for the back. Thus the speakers are not designed and tuned for a cabinet.
I have heard some on-wall speakers that sounded good.
Wait and see if you get more comments about this, but see if she will compromise with you to use on-wall speakers instead.

Off the top of my head Axiom, KEF, and Canton are three larger companies that offer on-wall systems.
RBH used to, but not sure about this year.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
RSL speakers has in early I believe also if you want to check them out. The best customer service, Joe Rogers will help you. He is incredibly honest and a nice guy.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Those KEF Ci4000QL-THX are really very good speakers. They won't go as low as the SVS Ultra but what you get depends upon how much "cabinet volume" you have in the wall where they're installed. Plus, that's what subwoofers are for. KEF does provide a spec for "free air" response, but with three 4" low-frequency drivers I'm sure it's going to be very different when installed.

Plenty of info from KEF that you can download:

http://us.kef.com/ci4100ql-thx[url]

A

Aman

Audioholic Intern
Well thats promising as I have 2 vented subs from psa, the xv15se.

Looked at the spec on KEF. for the ci4100ql, for best LF response, the spec says cabinet volume should be 0.71 cubic ft or more. Minimum required is 0.35 cubic ft. Not sure how to visualize 0.71 cubic ft (or 0.02 cubic meter)

What I know is that this is going in my basement. The unfinished wall right now has insulation. When finished, between the insulation and the drywall I would expect around between 4 inches. I can ask the drywall guy to leave another inch if that will help.

I feel it would be easier to convince him than to break my head against my better half for a week and not get anywhere. BTW she is not too happy about the subs as well but they are already home :) so there isn't much she can do about that (yey!!!!).

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
No need to visualize, just measure.

Let's take my walls for instance. The studs are standard US "2 by 4's" which actually measure 1-5/8" x 3-5/8" and at 16" center to center there's 14-3/8" between them. To get the ideal 0.71 cubic feet I converted 0.71 cu ft to 1227 cu in.

14.375 x 3.625 = 52.1 square inches

Now how long of a space do I need at that width and depth? BTW, the speakers only need 3" of depth.

0.71 cu ft = 1227 cu in. 1227/52.1 = 23.55"

The Ci4000QL-THX is smaller than that and so is the cutout needed to get them in the wall. I could stuff a piece of 2x4 top & bottom of the cutout until I have the ideal 23-1/2" and it's the perfect space. Fill with a little loose polyfil and done.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Phew, I love my Ultras, but I had to get permission too. I'm not a fan of in wall, but you made it clear you understand the compromises. FWIW KEF does get a lot of love around here. They make fantastic speakers.

A

Aman

Audioholic Intern
The Ci4000QL-THX is smaller than that and so is the cutout needed to get them in the wall. I could stuff a piece of 2x4 top & bottom of the cutout until I have the ideal 23-1/2" and it's the perfect space. Fill with a little loose polyfil and done.
That sounds very doable. For the center though, I am not sure how it would get installed as it would run wider than 2 studs 16in apart.

A

Aman

Audioholic Intern
Phew, I love my Ultras, but I had to get permission too. I'm not a fan of in wall, but you made it clear you understand the compromises. FWIW KEF does get a lot of love around here. They make fantastic speakers.
Dude .. I am totally gutted from the inside on having to give up doing the ultras for the front in my dream media room. From 11 years of marriage the one thing I have learnt and learnt well is that it's more important to keep the wife happy if I have to live happily and enjoy my home theatre. Also with the kids she does have a valid point. Not too long ago I had three pencils stuck into the grills of my energy speakers to serve as 2 eyes and one nose.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Dude .. I am totally gutted from the inside on having to give up doing the ultras for the front in my dream media room. From 11 years of marriage the one thing I have learnt and learnt well is that it's more important to keep the wife happy if I have to live happily and enjoy my home theatre. Also with the kids she does have a valid point. Not too long ago I had three pencils stuck into the grills of my energy speakers to serve as 2 eyes and one nose.
I agree. Wife n kids first.

From the responses it looks like you chose a very good speaker for in wall. It might sound better than you think.

If I had 3 pencils stuck in my speaker grills it would be upsetting. If I ever saw a smiley face made with pencils on one of my drivers I'd prolly look into adoption (j/k, of course, I have an 18 yr old). Just follow the tips and advice you get here. These guys really do know their stuff.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Going from SVS Ultras to KEF THX in-walls is definitely not something to be gutted about. They are THX certified speakers, they are going to be very good, and I know because I have heard some of the other KEF THX speakers. I could easily live with them. Who knows, they might be better than the SVS Ultra speakers.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
That's a beautiful installation, and I can imagine it sounds fantastic!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis