Looking for speaker recommendations

S

stupidmoron1

Audiophyte
I'm am currently a noob regarding most things home audio related, and I just wanted to get some advice on possible speakers/setups.

I'm looking to spend $1,000 to maybe $1,500 max, preferably closer to the $1,000 on a set of speakers.This budget does not include the receiver. Currently, I'm looking at the Denon X1300W. I'm leaning towards a 2.1 or 3.1 setup, with room to expand later on. I'm not set on either of these, however.

It will primarily be used for movies, video games, and some music. This is the room it'll be going in, and it's about 10 feet from the couch to the TV. If it matters, it's a vaulted ceiling and the floor is carpeted. The TV will probably stay where it is, but there's a possibility I'll mount it in the front right corner over a mantle, but that's undecided right now.

I have gotten some advice somewhere else and was recommended the following:

• SVS Prime Bookshelf speakers with a PB1000 or PB2000 sub (I might add a center with this)
  • Chane a1.4 bookshelves and an a2.4 center with a HSU Research or Rythmik sub
  • Ascend CBM-170s and a CMT-340 center with a Rythmik LV12R sub
  • Emotiva B1 + C1 (or C2) and a Rythmik LV12R or 2 Dayton sub-1500's
Before these recommendations, I was leaning towards a Klipsch system, specifically two RP-250F's and a RP-250C. I really don't have a preference on bookshelf vs tower or on brand, assuming it's reputable.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the SVS Prime's, but I would really appreciate any advice others can give!

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Check out the outlet at svs, I'd go with ultras. I haven't heard any rave reviews on the primes.
I contemplated going with the emotiva b1 and put off a purchase for a few months. Pulled the trigger on the ultras and no regrets at all.

S

stupidmoron1

Audiophyte
Do you have a center/sub from SVS as well, or just the Ultra's?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you can wait, I am sure there will be some good deals from large manufacturers around black friday. I wouldn't be surprised to see Klipsch and JBL with some nice discounts. Regarding manufacture direct brands, Ascend is a solid option. I would like to see more on the Emotiva and Chane speakers personally. The Chane speakers do have some nice chatter about them. For low cost subs, I would also be looking at the new Monolith subs from Monoprice. I like the Monolith speakers from Monoprice as well. Look for deals on the Outlaw Audio Ultra-X12 sub around black friday.

With respect to the Dayton 1500 subs, if you are interested in deep bass, skip those, they won't at all compete with these large 12"s. Outside of deep bass though, I am sure they would be very good for the cost.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Do you have a center/sub from SVS as well, or just the Ultra's?
I plan on getting either another bookshelf or the center. I just sold my dayton sub1200 to add to funds to get a svs pb1000. Currently running a 2.0 system. Spring time is my goal to get my sub. If I didn't know better, the Dayton held up fairly well and got me by for quite some time but it's the next piece in bringing my system into a bigger game. Ive been playing a waiting game on saving up extra funds, my 2year old is spoiled so I'm ok with it haha.

If you can and if it works for you, I would say wait until you save up and make good purchases along the way, you won't regret it. To get by with a sub, I would reccomend a Dayton for the time being with the intent to upgrade it further down the line. I got my sub1200 for $130 shipped and thats gonna be hard to beat.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I plan on getting either another bookshelf or the center. I just sold my dayton sub1200 to add to funds to get a svs pb1000. Currently running a 2.0 system. Spring time is my goal to get my sub. If I didn't know better, the Dayton held up fairly well and got me by for quite some time but it's the next piece in bringing my system into a bigger game. Ive been playing a waiting game on saving up extra funds, my 2year old is spoiled so I'm ok with it haha.

If you can and if it works for you, I would say wait until you save up and make good purchases along the way, you won't regret it. To get by with a sub, I would reccomend a Dayton for the time being with the intent to upgrade it further down the line. I got my sub1200 for $130 shipped and thats gonna be hard to beat.
Best way to build a better system on a budget. Plus it lets you learn/optimize your system in easier to manage pieces. I'm actually tickled to see this, in this "gotta have it now" package deal era we live in.

S

stupidmoron1

Audiophyte
If you can wait, I am sure there will be some good deals from large manufacturers around black friday. I wouldn't be surprised to see Klipsch and JBL with some nice discounts. Regarding manufacture direct brands, Ascend is a solid option. I would like to see more on the Emotiva and Chane speakers personally. The Chane speakers do have some nice chatter about them. For low cost subs, I would also be looking at the new Monolith subs from Monoprice. I like the Monolith speakers from Monoprice as well. Look for deals on the Outlaw Audio Ultra-X12 sub around black friday.

With respect to the Dayton 1500 subs, if you are interested in deep bass, skip those, they won't at all compete with these large 12"s. Outside of deep bass though, I am sure they would be very good for the cost.
I'm actually looking at purchasing closer to Christmas, so I might miss the black Friday sales unless I just can't tame the itch to purchase now :).

S

stupidmoron1

Audiophyte

My wallet hates you (and me), but I'm leaning towards the Ultra's now after your recommendation and after watching several reviews. I have the funds to purchase everything at once (bookshelves, center, sub), but I'll probably hold off on at least the center. Will you be going with the Ultra center, the Prime or something else? Good on you for spoiling your kid lol. That's a fun (and frustrating at times) age I'm sure!

I'm still undecided between the PB1000 or Rythmik LV12R.. are you considering the latter at all? My living room has two openings, one to a foyer and one to the kitchen as well as a vaulted ceiling, so I'm not sure which would be better.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Glad to help lol. I'll either get the ultra center or a 3rd ultra bookshelf for a center (I like the idea of front 3 all the same)

I'm between svs and hsu for a sub, leaning towards the svs sb1000 (sealed for my bigger interest in music over movies. I don't know enough on pairing a sub to room size to give to strong of a recommendation. Others here can be a lot more helpful, or continue browsing what others have done in similar rooms. Hsu and svs both have high regards here (so does rythmik) so I'm taking a shot in the dark with budget making most of the decision for me. Around $500 is my comfort level. I know a $1k budget would get me a real good sub, or 2, but it's not practical for me to spend that much.

Also should note, I have multiple setups that I swap out equipment in, i buy/sell/trade occasionally. If your not really into the "hobby" side where you like trying out different pieces I'd reccomend hitting as close to your budget up front as you can (assuming your going to hold onto the equipment for some good length of time), otherwise stay as far under as possible, there is always a good deal floating around. I have no plans to ever get rid of my ultras.

S

stupidmoron1

Audiophyte
Glad to help lol. I'll either get the ultra center or a 3rd ultra bookshelf for a center (I like the idea of front 3 all the same)

I'm between svs and hsu for a sub, leaning towards the svs sb1000 (sealed for my bigger interest in music over movies. I don't know enough on pairing a sub to room size to give to strong of a recommendation. Others here can be a lot more helpful, or continue browsing what others have done in similar rooms. Hsu and svs both have high regards here (so does rythmik) so I'm taking a shot in the dark with budget making most of the decision for me. Around $500 is my comfort level. I know a $1k budget would get me a real good sub, or 2, but it's not practical for me to spend that much.

Also should note, I have multiple setups that I swap out equipment in, i buy/sell/trade occasionally. If your not really into the "hobby" side where you like trying out different pieces I'd reccomend hitting as close to your budget up front as you can (assuming your going to hold onto the equipment for some good length of time), otherwise stay as far under as possible, there is always a good deal floating around. I have no plans to ever get rid of my ultras.
I emailed SVS for their thoughts, and they said the Prime's would be fine, but that the Ultras would definitely be an upgrade.

They also said their PB12-NSD and SB12-NSD are on sale for $499 and $399 respectively for black Friday.

I'm probably not going to be trading out equipment, but there's always a possibility. Decisions.. decisions lol

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
I saw those deals, I'm gonna kick myself for not jumping on it

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I'm looking to spend $1,000 to maybe $1,500 max, preferably closer to the $1,000 on a set of speakers.This budget does not include the receiver. Currently, I'm looking at the Denon X1300W. I'm leaning towards a 2.1 or 3.1 setup, with room to expand later on. I'm not set on either of these, however.

It will primarily be used for movies, video games, and some music. This is the room it'll be going in, and it's about 10 feet from the couch to the TV. If it matters, it's a vaulted ceiling and the floor is carpeted. The TV will probably stay where it is, but there's a possibility I'll mount it in the front right corner over a mantle, but that's undecided right now.
With movies and video games being the priority, you will need a robust sub or two. Also, you don't need towers and good bookshelf speakers will be sufficient.

I don't see the X1300 dropping much below $300. You might get a better deal on a higher up model, but, expect to spend about that much on a decent AVR. You will need to jump to the X3300W at $600 to get anything appreciably better (namely, Audyssey XT32, pre-outs). The minor increments in power are all but useless marketing. One feature to consider is WiFi if you cannot hard wire a network connection and want to use streaming audio or stream from a media server. Airplay may be one to consider if you are heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem.

I recommend these speakers, Philharmonic Audio AA Monitor. You can even run them 2.0 or 3.0 and get decent bass (within reason). Do not let their price fool you into thinking they are sub par in any way whatsoever. These easily hold their own against much higher priced speakers.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm actually looking at purchasing closer to Christmas, so I might miss the black Friday sales unless I just can't tame the itch to purchase now :).
Just noting if Outlaw has any products of interest...I got a super deal on a black FRI sale last year on the mono block amps...I would think the subs they might be trying to push more out with their new releases.

Emotiva has stated they intend to stop sales promotions after last years sales event...we'll have to see it they stick with that plan as the holiday season kicks in.

B

boogeyman

Audiophyte
Greeting all, its my first post here )
May I ask gurus what stand floor speakers would they recommend for my vintage Marantz PM300 amp?
Budget would be $1500AUD and Im looking at
B&W DM604 S3
B&W DM603 S3
Wharfedale Diamond 10.6

Or spend a bit more $2200 and buy B&W 683 S2? (wife will kill me lol)

Many thanks

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Welcome to this forum.

If you like the sound of B & W speakers, I don't think you would be disappointed with the DM604 S3.

It is very well rated.

B

boogeyman

Audiophyte
Thanks for your reply Verdinut.

They sell used B&W dm604s3 for $1200 and Im thinking why not add on a bit extra $ and buy 683s2 ?

What would sound equally or even better then B&W in a range of $1500 +\-?

Just bought Yamaha CD-N301 network CD player for $450 brand new

EDA54ED9-E941-41BC-A103-068F4838C928.png C23CCF6F-7D1F-4476-85E3-86E5403CA794.jpeg

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I haven't listened to a lot of speakers in recent years because I build myself my speaker systems.

However, I am more familiar with the B & W brand as I've heard them several times.

Audioholics and some other online magazines have reviewed many speakers and you can peruse their reports. I don't know if you have access to at least one store that specialize in decent hi-fi gear. In any case, it is always preferable to listen to them before committing to an important purchase. Listening preferences also differ among audiophiles.

Also some speaker manufacturers sell directly from their website. Some allow return and refund within a specified time, if you are not satisfied. That's another possibility.
In a previous post, the Ascend brand was suggested. I heard a lot of good comments on them.

Last edited:
B

boogeyman

Audiophyte
After reading a few reviews Im looking at Jami C95 vs Q Acoustics 3050?

Q Acoustics now on sale -$250 can buy them for $950 delivered and Jamo is about $1200.

90E1A483-9D98-46DF-8D09-689E57DAA2AF.jpeg 78EDB08A-393B-4E57-86BC-59FB5534FCF5.jpeg

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
After reading a few reviews Im looking at Jami C95 vs Q Acoustics 3050?

Q Acoustics now on sale -$250 can buy them for $950 delivered and Jamo is about $1200.

View attachment 22938 View attachment 22939
The Q Acoustics brand of speakers is very well rated indeed.

This seems to be an excellent choice.

I don't know much about the Jamo brand however. If you saw some dependable reviews, then you could look at them more seriously.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis