100-120 watt Class A/B Amplifier...

P

PutridGospel

Audiophyte
1. I am trying to power my JVC SK-S44 and RCA SPL 110-10 the jvc is 120 8 ohms and the rca is 150 watt 8 ohms.
Looking to get a modern amp to give them some juice, but when I search up receivers which have more stuff that I want since this is mostly for my studio they have a very low THD rating, so I like that, but I think about integrated amps as less parts, more quality going all around for my situation, they have higher THD ratings any reason for this?.

2. Also can anyone steer me in the direction I should take with past experience in a modern amp or I am willing to take a older one not super old to power these for under 300 I could go up to 400, this is just for playback once I get off my ADAM Monitors, for translation purposes of my mix and general listening in the studio so I don't work my studio monitors and sub.

3. Also anyone here familiar with NS-10M studio monitors, just got a pair of these and am in the market for shopping an amp for them buddy game me a Yamaha RX-V395..

Thanks Everyone!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
1. I am trying to power my JVC SK-S44 and RCA SPL 110-10 the jvc is 120 8 ohms and the rca is 150 watt 8 ohms.
Looking to get a modern amp to give them some juice, but when I search up receivers which have more stuff that I want since this is mostly for my studio they have a very low THD rating, so I like that, but I think about integrated amps as less parts, more quality going all around for my situation, they have higher THD ratings any reason for this?.

2. Also can anyone steer me in the direction I should take with past experience in a modern amp or I am willing to take a older one not super old to power these for under 300 I could go up to 400, this is just for playback once I get off my ADAM Monitors, for translation purposes of my mix and general listening in the studio so I don't work my studio monitors and sub.

3. Also anyone here familiar with NS-10M studio monitors, just got a pair of these and am in the market for shopping an amp for them buddy game me a Yamaha RX-V395..

Thanks Everyone!
The Yamaha 395 will power all the speakers mentioned.

If you just want an amp that's stout and cheap
http://www.zzounds.com/item--CWNXLI1500?siid=117788

If your looking for integrated or AVRs on the cheaper side, check www.accessories4less.com

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Higher THD? How high? Anything around, or south of zero is going to be inaudible, and even more so compared with the actual THD of some of those speakers anyway.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
THD below 1% on amplifiers is inaudible. This jvc speakers have a sensitivity of 92dB, you don’t need that much power to piss off the neighbors with them. Don’t get caught up on amplifier specs outside of FTC rated power, all correctly designed solid state amps sound exactly the same as long as they aren’t driven into clipping.

I’m assuming these will be used for 2ch listening? The Yamaha will do 60wpc, whether or not this is enough power for you depends on how loud you intend on playing and how far from the speakers you are.

If you have a studio, I’m assuming you have an audio interface or mixer that you can connect an amp to? If so, I’d look in to pro amps. You won’t get better bang for your buck and they can provide more than enough power. A crown xls 1002 can be had for $300 and provides 215wpc into 8 ohms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P

PutridGospel

Audiophyte
Higher THD? How high? Anything around, or south of zero is going to be inaudible, and even more so compared with the actual THD of some of those speakers anyway.
Per say the AVR not integrated if I am using the acronym right is around .05 then these 500 dollar integrated amps are .16 +

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
South of zero? Negative THD range? :)

P

PutridGospel

Audiophyte
THD below 1% on amplifiers is inaudible. This jvc speakers have a sensitivity of 92dB, you don’t need that much power to piss off the neighbors with them. Don’t get caught up on amplifier specs outside of FTC rated power, all correctly designed solid state amps sound exactly the same as long as they aren’t driven into clipping.

I’m assuming these will be used for 2ch listening? The Yamaha will do 60wpc, whether or not this is enough power for you depends on how loud you intend on playing and how far from the speakers you are.

If you have a studio, I’m assuming you have an audio interface or mixer that you can connect an amp to? If so, I’d look in to pro amps. You won’t get better bang for your buck and they can provide more than enough power. A crown xls 1002 can be had for $300 and provides 215wpc into 8 ohms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FTC rated ill search into that, Also pro amps?

Yes I have a Komplete Audio 6 (interface) which I use the headphone out to RCA going in to the aux in on my JVC A-K300

Power output: 65 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

Frequency response: 10Hz to 100kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.2%

Input sensitivity: 2.5mV (MM), 150mV (line)

Signal to noise ratio: 70dB (MM), 96dB (line)

Dimensions: 435 x 117 x 304mm

Weight: 5.7kg

And for my current setup I have my JVC stacks and RCA stacks wired in series coming out of same amp outputs left and right so I only click down A

P

PutridGospel

Audiophyte
What basis is the measurement, though? Are they comparable?
Yamaha
A-S501
  • 85 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.019% THD

so that confused me but this guy is saying to look mostly not past FTC which I have to look up now, but I thought going integrated would give me more of a better build because I am not using video etc, because this is just for my studio

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Integrated amps generally cost more due their lower production/sales numbers, better deals are generally in the avrs (even if they have features you don't need). I wouldn't worry about the distortion specs of these various amps too much....they're far less than those of your speakers for example.

P

PutridGospel

Audiophyte
Integrated amps generally cost more due their lower production/sales numbers, better deals are generally in the avrs (even if they have features you don't need). I wouldn't worry about the distortion specs of these various amps too much....they're far less than those of your speakers for example.
thank you, for your reply I am appreciative of your answers

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Yeah, kind of. In an audible sense. Like .00X. . . . As if.

We're getting into the audible difference in high dollar speaker cables vs. lamp cord territory. :)
Still not a negative number. Low, just can't be called "below zero".

highfigh

highfigh

Thanks Everyone!
JVC and RCA have never been known for making great speakers and seeing that the JVC have paper cone tweeters tells me they're pretty old and won't handle 120W for long, based on having sold audio when they were made & seeing a lot of equipment come into our shop for service. You won't be hearing extended high frequencies.

As far as the NS-10M, which are the replacement for the original NS-10; they weren't in so many studios because they're great speakers, they were used because it made life easy for people who would go to many studios to record/mix/master audio tracks because they didn't need to drag their own monitors around. They're also used because, if the mix sounds good through them, they'll sound good through just about anything.

highfigh

highfigh

Fine! I'll just sit here and twirl the propeller on my hat.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The wattage rating on a speaker is generally a FAILURE point, not how much power they need to give you sound.

P

PutridGospel

Audiophyte
okay I have read try to match it not too far under because your amp will be over worked by more powerful speakers, maybe ill look into a nice class AB 80 amp

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
okay I have read try to match it not too far under because your amp will be over worked by more powerful speakers, maybe ill look into a nice class AB 80 amp
Speakers are not literally powerful, they represent a load (a burden if you will) for the amp. This load is represented in Ohms. Lower Ohms (4Ohm or rarely 2Ohm) are a heavier load/burden for the amp. Higher load (8Ohm or rarely 16Ohm) are easier load, thus easier for the amp to drive.

Manufacturers know that most people won't get into this and they roughly recommend an amp strength according to how heavy the load of the speakers is.

This recommendation is to be taken with a grain of salt first and foremost because of your listening habits/needs. If the manufacturer says you need an amp ranging from 50w - 150w, it is safe to say you'll have to be closer to 150w if you listen very loud in bigger rooms and closer to 50w if you don't need loud (for prolonged periods), have a small listening space or can't afford a stronger model.

Manufacturers bottom recommendation will always be enough but just barely. You're not to expect miracles and should expect some distortion in sound when playing very loud as well as some higher temps in your amp. Worst case scenario, your amp could burn out if you really push it.

It is generally considered a bad idea to leave your speakers power hungry. Even below reference level listening, your speakers occasionally need to pull more power from your amp simply to work better. Speakers like to be comfy with power.

So if you're wise and careful you could even hook up a 200w amp on speakers that have max Watt spec at 150W. In this case the jeopardy is on speakers to burn out and not your amp. If you play it careful your speakers will enjoy having abundant power, but you shouldn't overdrive them.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Average listening utilized only a few watts typically, unless you have really power hungry speakers (low impedance, really low sensitivity). Manufacturers give a range because they don't know what environment the speaker will go into, and the environment will affect how much power is needed to play that speaker at higher SPL, but really it is the impedance and sensitivity that will give you the best idea of how an amp will react to that load. The fact is, most people don't understand how that works including factoring in room size and listening distance, SPL desired, etc..., so manufacturers give that generic range and wattage ratings that ultimately mean very little to the consumer.

I already said this, the MAX rating is basically a useless number for choosing how much power is needed for the speaker.

I have driven tons of speakers rated for less than 200W with my 200W amp with zero issues because you are not USING all 200W during average listening. So "too much" power is misleading, it isn't an instant recipe for a fried speaker.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis