Budget challenge: 5.1.2 + receiver for 2K

Roen

Roen

Audioholic
Alright guys, asking for a friend who wants to fill up space with the best bang for the buck system under 2k.

5 speakers
Receiver
Subwoofer
2 Atmos speakers

Let's see what setups you guys come up with!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Roen

Roen

Audioholic
I should've said everything has to be current model line, just to make it harder. He's probably ok with refurbs but not prior year refurbs.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I should've said everything has to be current model line, just to make it harder. He's probably ok with refurbs but not prior year refurbs.

Prior year recertified products with warranty are the bang for the buck.

You should ask your friend to register so he can tell us about his room, types of speakers, listening habits, current gear , in ceiling, on ceiling, etc etc.

For giggles he could get this plus what ever he is gonna do for atmos speakers and whatever avr is available after.
https://www.svsound.com/products/prime-satellite-5-1

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
How big is his room? For the sub he could go with a Dayton sub 1500 for $200

No point in recommending a specific receiver, shop around and you can find a variety of open box or refurbished models for about $400. That leaves $1400 for speakers. If the room is big, add a second Dayton sub, leaving $1200.

The current setup I have cost me less than $2k total, so I’ll list it with prices.

Two pairs of open box Klipsch RP 150m ~$550
RP 250c open box $280
RB 10 $129, omnimount to attach the RB 10 to the ceiling ~ $40
Dayton sub 1500 $200
Onkyo TX NR 656 $400

Adding in the cost of cables and what not that comes up to about $1600. All of the open box stuff was found on eBay. Since that leaves an extra $400, you could opt for a better sub like a hsu vtf 3 or an svs.

Obviously, there are plenty of other options that can fit into that budget, this is just what I have and what I spent on it.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think demands for these sort of systems shows that Audioholics was right to have reservations about Atmos to begin with. Quality is being diluted for quantity. More speakers for the same money means worse speakers, and more channels of amplification for the same money means worse amplification. The Atmos 'overhead' effect with this kind of system is a bit weak in my experience as well.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So I think $500 on the Denon AVR.

Let's say spend $500 on a Sub.

That leaves $1,000 for 7 speakers.

I would say spend $300 on a Center, $200 FR, $200 FL, $75 each on the 4 surrounds. :D

Roen

Roen

Audioholic
So I think $500 on the Denon AVR.

Let's say spend $500 on a Sub.

That leaves $1,000 for 7 speakers.

I would say spend $300 on a Center, $200 FR, $200 FL, $75 each on the 4 surrounds. :D
Why not $140 on each speaker or 200 on the front LCR and 100 on the other 4?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Why not $140 on each speaker or 200 on the front LCR and 100 on the other 4?
Long time ago I had 5 identical NHT SuperZero bookshelf + 1 sub.

It seemed everything work fine, except I would get this crackle noise from the Center Channel with some movies.

So that’s why I would put more money into the center if budget is tight.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis