Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
If LFE out is used for the subwoofer should the speakers be set to small or large?

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
There will be no bass management with the speakers set to large. (They will get a full range signal). If you want to bass manage your speakers, set them to small and adjust the crossover in your receiver. Most people start at 80hz.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If you have sub = yes and speakers large, you will still get LFE since it is a separate channel. BASS from the mains is redirected to the sub in addition to the LFE when you set the speakers to small, but unless you have speakers capable to the 25Hz range, I'd always set them to small. What X-over point you choose for those speakers will vary depending on the speaker.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Definitely set to small. Also make sure not to confuse the LPF of lfe(.1) with speaker XO point.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
If you have sub = yes and speakers large, you will still get LFE since it is a separate channel. BASS from the mains is redirected to the sub in addition to the LFE when you set the speakers to small, but unless you have speakers capable to the 25Hz range, I'd always set them to small. What X-over point you choose for those speakers will vary depending on the speaker.
And the room as well. I get tighter sounding bass if I set my mains and center to 50hz and let the sub handle everything below. So long as the xover is set at or above the port tuning of the mains you shouldn’t have an issue.

Honestly I’ve never had good results blending the sub and speakers in a variety of rooms with a variety of speakers using an 80hz xover. 60hz and below sounds much more seamless to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
And the room as well. I get tighter sounding bass if I set my mains and center to 50hz and let the sub handle everything below. So long as the xover is set at or above the port tuning of the mains you shouldn’t have an issue.

Honestly I’ve never had good results blending the sub and speakers in a variety of rooms with a variety of speakers using an 80hz xover. 60hz and below sounds much more seamless to me.

Setting the crossover level can be a personal preference, but to start correctly depends on if the mains and sub are sealed or ported. Setting this crossover at a speakers f3 generally isn't the place to start. Seamlessly blending a sub takes time and isn't as easy as set it and go.

But to the OP @j_garcia answered the question.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Setting the crossover level can be a personal preference, but to start correctly depends on if the mains and sub are sealed or ported. Setting this crossover at a speakers f3 generally isn't the place to start. Seamlessly blending a sub takes time and isn't as easy as set it and go.

But to the OP @j_garcia answered the question.
I wasn’t recommending starting at the F3, 80hz is definitely a good place to begin. Setting it to the f3 in my situation works because my l/r and center can cleanly handle 105 dB @50hz without distortion.

One thing that is also important before even messing with the xover point is to ensure that your sub is properly calibrated to match the mains in spl. Too many auto cal programs set the volume way too high, and doing it by ear generally does the same thing.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It may be related to single location calibration, where bass is fine and adjusted for the measured sweet spot, but ends up being hotter in most other places since it is addressing room modes only in that spot. My system is this way and I had to manually tweak it to get it even since I have a single sub.

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
wait, if you set it to lfe+mains, without a sub, does that mean you just turned a 5.1 set up into a 5? O_O

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis