USB connection on Denon 4520ci

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I decided to go ahaead and get some fans to put on top of my 4520, so I bought these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JLV4BWC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My issue is if I plug the fans into the USB port on the rear they don't come on.
The connection has the following label info:
5V/1A
(iPod DIRECT)
(SELECTABLE)
USB
When I plug the fans into the USB port in front (under the flip-down panel) it works fine, but of course I'd like to keep it out of sight.

From the labels above, I would assume I need to do something to select the rear USB instead of the front.

So I go to pg. 76 of the manual and it says to access "USB Select" from the "Option Menu", but that is not an option when I press the "option" button. (I get three options while the manual shows another 4 options for a total of 7!)
I'm sure this is something stupid like I need to change a setting elsewhere to get the full menu.
I will have at it again tomorrow as a 5 minute task (to look up) has turned into 30 minutes of frustration that I did not expect to lose from my night.
TIA for any ideas!

PS, I have been running pure direct lately and have not run Audyssey or any of the setup yet, so I'm not sure where things are. (I just put this unit back in my living room).

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Did you try this with the ipod/usb input on?
Thanks!
It is not hidden, but I don't see where to turn it on. USB/iPhone does not come up in the list of inputs where you specify which input to use. It does come up where you specify if it is hidden or shown! (and it is shown).
Is there a possibility that if I did a factory reset it would revert to the original version of the firmware which might not have everything?
I'm reaching! And not home to check things.

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
here's my guess. plug something into it in and see if other options miraculously appear.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks!
It is not hidden, but I don't see where to turn it on. USB/iPhone does not come up in the list of inputs where you specify which input to use. It does come up where you specify if it is hidden or shown! (and it is shown).
Is there a possibility that if I did a factory reset it would revert to the original version of the firmware which might not have everything?
I'm reaching! And not home to check things.
So what happens when you use the remote and press the ipod/usb button?

ps Did you rename the input?

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
My assumption.. :confused:
Rear USB port is only for firmware updates, front USB is for sources such as iPhone/iPod, memory music sticks. Most likely the rear USB port is only powered during a firmware upgrade process..

Just my $0.02.. ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My assumption.. :confused:
Rear USB port is only for firmware updates, front USB is for sources such as iPhone/iPod, memory music sticks. Most likely the rear USB port is only powered during a firmware upgrade process..

Just my $0.02.. ;)
No, with this avr you can use either the front or rear usb, not both at the same time. You can use them for all the functions, you just need to designate which one at a given time. I also use mine for a fan on the rear usb port, and simply use the ipod/usb input/option thing when I want to change it to use the front port.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I would not use any usb port to power a fan. You can do it but I won't recommend it.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

ps Did you rename the input?
LOL!
Yeah, I thought about using the remote this morning, DOH!
I was in the mindset that I needed to change the setting in the setup routines. I did not rename USB/iPod, it just doesn't show when I go to the input menu.

When I get home, I'll try selecting USB/iPod on the remote. I think that will put things in a place where I can access the correct options on the "options menu".

will report back later today after I get home.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I would not use any usb port to power a fan. You can do it but I won't recommend it.
Thanks!
Easy enough to plug it into the power center.
Is the issue adding a potential noise source?

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
The mentioned fan draws almost 3/4 amp...
Since the Denon USB port is capable of up to 1 amp, only (1) fan should be used...
The other point to double check with Denon is...
Have they designed separate power/current power supplies for the front and rear USB ports so each have a 1 amp capacity?
If yes, then the fan can operate simultaneously when connecting an iPod or iPhone.
If no, then an iPod or iPhone should not be connected if the fan is operating.
Or else U will exceed the current capability of the USB ports.

IMHO..
A better approach is to use an independent power supply for the fan, or a trigger/relay scheme using the USB port and independent power supply.

Just my $0.02.. ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The mentioned fan draws almost 3/4 amp...
Since the Denon USB port is capable of up to 1 amp, only (1) fan should be used...
The other point to double check with Denon is...
Have they designed separate power/current power supplies for the front and rear USB ports so each have a 1 amp capacity?
If yes, then the fan can operate simultaneously when connecting an iPod or iPhone.
If no, then an iPod or iPhone should not be connected if the fan is operating.
Or else U will exceed the current capability of the USB ports.

IMHO..
A better approach is to use an independent power supply for the fan, or a trigger/relay scheme using the USB port and independent power supply.

Just my $0.02.. ;)
My fan is a single and within limits; if I had a larger fan I'd probably just put it on the smart power strip.

It wouldn't matter about simultaneous, as it simply doesn't work with this avr (I've tried), it's one or the other by designating which one in the option menu to use, not both.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
My fan is a single and within limits; if I had a larger fan I'd probably just put it on the smart power strip.

It wouldn't matter about simultaneous, as it simply doesn't work with this avr (I've tried), it's one or the other by designating which one in the option menu to use, not both.
Yeah, and now we likely have a good idea as to exactly why it is "one or the other, but not both".

I would tend to think that Denon knows that the PS can't handle both at the same time, so they removed that option to keep people from having problems with it.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
This solved the problem.
Once I pressed the iPod/USB button on the RC, the options menu included "USB Select" which allowed me to chose between front and back input.

The fans are 0.58A each or 1.16A for the kit, so marginally over the limit.
My intent would be to run the fans continuously on low, so I'm sure they won't draw over 1 A (unless there is some special startup gee whiz going on), but, since there is any concern, I will power it from the surge protection unit.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This solved the problem.
Once I pressed the iPod/USB button on the RC, the options menu included "USB Select" which allowed me to chose between front and back input.

The fans are 0.58A each or 1.16A for the kit, so marginally over the limit.
My intent would be to run the fans continuously on low, so I'm sure they won't draw over 1 A (unless there is some special startup gee whiz going on), but, since there is any concern, I will power it from the surge protection unit.
Seems it's just .58A for the whole unit per the spec sheet I linked; their single S3 shows .32A so somewhat makes sense....or do you have some other info?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That little extra draw is not a big concern but it is an extra source of noise that can be easily avoided/reduced by using an independent power supply such as one on a power center.
Is it audible? :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis