Denon AVR 4311ci; Grrrrrr!

Shek5150

Shek5150

Audioholic
Greetings . . .

I'm hoping someone can help me w/ this . . .

I recently moved & prior to the move all my gear was working fine. However, now that I've moved & am trying to setup my system . . . I cannot seem to get my Denon 4300ci to recognize my subs? Again, prior to my move, everything worked fine . . . so, any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Side Note: Subs are dual SVS SB13 Ultra Subs (((just coincidentally, one of the amps on one of my subs died; so, SVS is in the process of sending me a new amp for that sub))). Not sure if this is relevevant . . . just wanted to put it out there.

p.s., I did reset the Denon's microprocessor; but to no avail.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to read & respond to my post.

Regards,

Shek5150

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So the setup/Audyssey caibration routine doesn't function properly?

Shek5150

Shek5150

Audioholic
That's correct; it won't advance beyond the subs . . .it's like they're not there.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
That's correct; it won't advance beyond the subs . . .it's like they're not there.
Hmm that's really strange. I wish I could help but I have a Yamaha with YPAO but I'll be interested to read what could be the issue. I have has no experience with Auddyssey though.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Shek5150

Shek5150

Audioholic
Hmm that's really strange. I wish I could help but I have a Yamaha with YPAO but I'll be interested to read what could be the issue. I have has no experience with Auddyssey though.

Thanks anyway.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks anyway.
No problem, interesting dilemma and issue. I'm sure the guys on here will help you find the issue. I'm sure it's frustrating. Hope you get it fixed soon, like tonight.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Go in and reconfigure the speakers- now that you reset it, it needs to know what you have for speakers. BTW- did you save the previous config file? If not, do that this time, so you don't have to go through everything again.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Does it function beyond the subs or are you stopping there? Try cleaning the mic port just in case some lint/debris got in there?

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I had the exact same thing happen (disconnected a flawlessly working setup to move; after moving Sub pre-out intermittently cutting out and eventually failing entirely). I have 2 independent subs, so it didn't stop Audyssey.

A local electronics store diagnosed (and fixed) a broken solder on the PCB for that RCA connector. Been flawless since.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Are you sure the sub is working?

Connect a CD player or iPhone to it and see if you hear sound. If the sub is working then the LFE outs on the receiver are not working. A move may have damaged the board. Modern equipment has sockets directly attached to frail boards, which is a terrible idea but cheap. So a move would be just the job for causing a fracture in the board to which the socket is attached. It seems this has already happened to a member here under similar circumstances.

If you are expert with a soldering iron and don't mind taking the receiver apart, this is something you could probably fix yourself. You do need to be expert with the soldering iron for these type of repairs though.

Shek5150

Shek5150

Audioholic
So the setup/Audyssey caibration routine doesn't function properly?
Sorry for delay; still not settled from the move.

Regarding Audyssey, well as it goes thru it's steps of calibrating the speakers w/ the room; it gets hung up on the subs . . . if I skip the subs it'll run thru as normal. However, when I try to adjust the 'level' of the "Sub" w/ the controls on the subs (SVS Ultra SB13s); it's as if Audyssey doesn't recognize that I'm adjusting volume (on either of the subs). Also, the front display of my Denon receiver recognizes the presence of the two subs; but it seems unable to send ANY info thru the SW channels in the receiver (does that make sense)?

Also, since making this original post, I've since opened up my one defunct sub & replaced it's amp . . . only to find out that I apparently fried this amp as you can see by the internal burn marks of the sub (see attached pics): Pic #1 = inside/top & center of sub; Pic #2 = is the amp w/ the primary burn marks being down toward the bottom of amp.

p.s., do you think there's a chance that this 'surge' traveled back into my Denon & affected my SW channels?

Fuse.JPG Hot Spot.jpg

Shek5150

Shek5150

Audioholic
Go in and reconfigure the speakers- now that you reset it, it needs to know what you have for speakers. BTW- did you save the previous config file? If not, do that this time, so you don't have to go through everything again.
Hello Highfigh, I did not save the old config file (why? no reason, just spaced it; Grrrrrr). If you'll note from my post above that I had unknowingly blew the amp in one of my subs. I've replaced the amp & now both subs are functional; however, I cannot seem to get Denon's Audessey program to acknowledge their existence . . . however, as I sit here & look at my receiver; it clearly recognizes that they exist (as noted by the little "SW" icons illustrated in the front display of my Denon receiver) . . . does that make sense?

Also, I've attached a couple pics; if for no other reason . . .perhaps it'll spur something in someone's mind?

Anyway, thanks for your help, thoughts and/or suggestions.

Regards

Attachments

Shek5150

Shek5150

Audioholic
Does it function beyond the subs or are you stopping there? Try cleaning the mic port just in case some lint/debris got in there?
Hey Lovinthehd, I don't think it's my mic as the Auddyssey seems to run fine if I skip the SW portion.

Thx

Shek5150

Shek5150

Audioholic
Are you sure the sub is working?

Connect a CD player or iPhone to it and see if you hear sound. If the sub is working then the LFE outs on the receiver are not working. A move may have damaged the board. Modern equipment has sockets directly attached to frail boards, which is a terrible idea but cheap. So a move would be just the job for causing a fracture in the board to which the socket is attached. It seems this has already happened to a member here under similar circumstances.

If you are expert with a soldering iron and don't mind taking the receiver apart, this is something you could probably fix yourself. You do need to be expert with the soldering iron for these type of repairs though.

Hello TLS Guy,

Do you think such a scenerio would affect both subs?

Thanks

highfigh

highfigh

Hello Highfigh, I did not save the old config file (why? no reason, just spaced it; Grrrrrr). If you'll note from my post above that I had unknowingly blew the amp in one of my subs. I've replaced the amp & now both subs are functional; however, I cannot seem to get Denon's Audessey program to acknowledge their existence . . . however, as I sit here & look at my receiver; it clearly recognizes that they exist (as noted by the little "SW" icons illustrated in the front display of my Denon receiver) . . . does that make sense?

Also, I've attached a couple pics; if for no other reason . . .perhaps it'll spur something in someone's mind?

Anyway, thanks for your help, thoughts and/or suggestions.

Regards
If you're referring to the small icons when the audio is playing, that just means the sub channel has been processed in the AVR- it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with what comes out of the jacks- it could mean the sub output was damaged when the amp grenaded, possibly by back-feeding DC or high voltage. I mention this because it looks like the transformer/power supply died.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Also, since making this original post, I've since opened up my one defunct sub & replaced it's amp . . . only to find out that I apparently fried this amp as you can see by the internal burn marks of the sub (see attached pics): Pic #1 = inside/top & center of sub; Pic #2 = is the amp w/ the primary burn marks being down toward the bottom of amp.
I am confused, are you saying you replaced the defective sub's amp and "fried" it again? I assume that is not the SB13U that you are currently using. So have you done anything to verify the SB13U is not the problem as TLS Guy suggested in post#10?

Shek5150

Shek5150

Audioholic
I am confused, are you saying you replaced the defective sub's amp and "fried" it again? I assume that is not the SB13U that you are currently using. So have you done anything to verify the SB13U is not the problem as TLS Guy suggested in post#10?
My apologies for the confusion . . . I did replace the fried amp in the SVS Sub & now it's working fine. I was able to run a music source thru both subs. So, it would seem that the subs are working correctly . . . it just seems like the Denon is not reognizing the LFE frequency & passing it thru to the subs (does that make sense?) -or- there's a setting that I've missed . . dunno' at the moment.

Shek5150

Shek5150

Audioholic
@Shek5150 did you try a soft reset or a microprocessor reset yet?
Hey there Lovinthehd, regarding the 'reset', I'm afraid that I only familiar w/ one type of ouset outlined on page #138 of the manual:

#1: Turn off the power using "ON/STANDBY".
#2: Press ON/STANDBY while simultaneously pressing STANDARD 7 DSP SIMULATION.
#3: Once the display starts flashing at intervals of about 1 second, release the two buttons.

That's it . . . & now when I attempt to run Auddyssey, it'll hang up on the subs; but if I skip the subs suring the calibration process; then it'll seemingly run thru the process . . . though I must say that I've dc'd the calibration process after a couple failed attempts (after realizing that it's not accounting for the subs). So, that's where I'm at for the moment . ..

p.s., regarding the subs (suring the calibration process); when I attempt to adjust the 'levels', audyssey won't even recognize the subs as I twist the dial up or down to adjust it's level . . . doesn't move the slightest . . . (((hope that makes sense))).

thx.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hey there Lovinthehd, regarding the 'reset', I'm afraid that I only familiar w/ one type of ouset outlined on page #138 of the manual:

#1: Turn off the power using "ON/STANDBY".
#2: Press ON/STANDBY while simultaneously pressing STANDARD 7 DSP SIMULATION.
#3: Once the display starts flashing at intervals of about 1 second, release the two buttons.

That's it . . . & now when I attempt to run Auddyssey, it'll hang up on the subs; but if I skip the subs suring the calibration process; then it'll seemingly run thru the process . . . though I must say that I've dc'd the calibration process after a couple failed attempts (after realizing that it's not accounting for the subs). So, that's where I'm at for the moment . ..

p.s., regarding the subs (suring the calibration process); when I attempt to adjust the 'levels', audyssey won't even recognize the subs as I twist the dial up or down to adjust it's level . . . doesn't move the slightest . . . (((hope that makes sense))).

thx.
A soft reset is simply unplugging the unit for a while; sounds like you've tried the microprocessor reset already.

What does the GUI say on the screen when it "hangs up" for the subs, does it display the dB meter to adjust against at all? Or is it displayed and you can't use it? I'd think a full reset would get you to the point where it will either function....or not. Might be time to return the unit.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis