Someone, Anyone, DO YOUR FRIGGING JOB!

jinjuku

jinjuku

I just got back from an onsite to setup a network, 3 doors with swipe access, training.

1. I get there and the person I'm training didn't bring their glasses and wouldn't get in their car and go get them so they are staring at the monitor from 2 inches away!

2. The electricians are a joke. They didn't wire the swipe reader inputs correctly, they didn't wire the door control panel into the network like I asked via email.

3. They didn't pull a line for the server I sent them.

4. The electricians didn't through mount the pigtail lead through the back like indicated in the email with the mounting template I sent them (the cable goes out the side, down, u-turns back up and underneath the wall plate so its pinched when you mount the entire assembly to the wall.

5. They can't terminate CAT5e to save their lives. 80% of the terminations don't have any cable jacket in the strain relief of the RJ45 connector.

So at 8PM on Saturday I'm at Home Depot purchasing termination tools, RJ45s, 4 conductor alarm wire for the door readers, fish tape, so I can get them up and running for monday.

Of the 3 readers I drop shipped direct from the manufacturer one's DOA.

On an unrelated note:

I get 9 computers in Friday and I ordered with them 1.35v Kingston 4GB DDR3L So-DIMMS. The vendor ships 1.5volt which isn't compatible. The part number on my order says 1.35v.

Jesus wept.

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

Oh, great, M$ removed Install-WindowsFeature cmdlet from Windows 10 so my automation scripts are now fisking broke.

Worked fine in 8.1 Pro/Enterprise.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Oh, great, M$ removed Install-WindowsFeature cmdlet from Windows 10 so my automation scripts are now fisking broke.

Worked fine in 8.1 Pro/Enterprise.
Having tried to program several URC remotes t hat require a serial cable and not having a computer with a serial port, I can kind of understand your frustration. Fortunately ofr me, I have a client who likes me and gave me some small video signage computers and they're loaded with ports, including serial. They came with Win7Pro and I did the update version of the Win10 OS, but that was just for grins since it was too early to expect it to work with everything I need it to. Last year, I did an equipment move/install at another client's new home and I shuddered when I realized that I would have to do some programming for the remote that had wasted so much of my time- even the URC trainer couldn't help, nor could the guy who makes their training videos. I fired up the freebie and it worked perfectly and every time since.

My point- did you save a version of the OS so it CAN work?

I have gotten to the point of being such a control freak that I tell people I want to do all of the cabling for whatever I'm working with and that I don't want anyone to touch my stuff. This could have been a problem in June, when I received a call from an electrician who asked about re-routing the camera cabling I had installed in the past. The homeowners decided to have the roof over their front entry rebuilt when they knew I would be 3 hours away, working on their second home. The electrician doesn't work with low voltage, so he wasn't clear about what the cable had going on and I'm glad he didn't cut the siamese 18-2/RG59 in one shot because the 24VAC power could have hit the center conductor of the coax and killed the DVR.

Details. Details. People just don't bother with them.

jinjuku

jinjuku

My point- did you save a version of the OS so it CAN work?

Details. Details. People just don't bother with them.
Since I'm not rolling out Windows 8.1 Pro any longer.

The other thing that really pissed me off is that I used the Pro Versions so I could manage local machine policy and tweak things. So there is a policy called the 'Microsoft Consumer Experience'. Used to be able to disable this via policy.

Guess what? Not allowed in Pro any longer. You have to get Ent or Ultimate SKU's.

My business customers don't need Candy Crush Saga showing up in their start menus! What the truck was I paying the premium for to manage poop like this if I can't manage it any longer!

jinjuku

jinjuku

Here's another fun one:

I have a Hyper-V Ubuntu 12 LTS VHD. Works fine on my Intel 3150 based system. Copy it over to an Intel 3455 based system with Hyper-V and you will see it start it's boot but it won't draw the desktop....

Found the fix: You have to enable 'Migrate to a physical computer with a different processor version'.

Funny never had to do that with VMWare or VirtualBox.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Since I'm not rolling out Windows 8.1 Pro any longer.

The other thing that really pissed me off is that I used the Pro Versions so I could manage local machine policy and tweak things. So there is a policy called the 'Microsoft Consumer Experience'. Used to be able to disable this via policy.

Guess what? Not allowed in Pro any longer. You have to get Ent or Ultimate SKU's.

My business customers don't need Candy Crush Saga showing up in their start menus! What the truck was I paying the premium for to manage poop like this if I can't manage it any longer!
MCE=BOHICA

highfigh

highfigh

That kinda stuff is why I love retirement :)
Between WiFi in houses where the rooms resemble a group of Faraday cages and problems with HDMI, I can say with absolute certainty that I can't wait. I would rather make money in a few hobbies than actually work in this industry.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I hear a lot of grumbling about M$ turning Win10 into a advertisement platform. I under stand: Run Firefox or Chrome and pop-up extols the virtues of Internet Exploder, sorry 'Edge' more like the edge of a razor to slit my wrists with...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If people did their jobs, I wouldn't have a job. My job is to make sure others can do their job lol.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis