Thoughts on Polk Audio PSW 10 Subwoofer

xSinisterDrakex

xSinisterDrakex

Junior Audioholic
I am possibly looking into getting a subwoofer when I purchase the Denon AVR-X1300W. I currently have a JVC sub that came from a HTIB. The amplifer portion is missing and it is currently a passive sub. I was thinking about getting a sub amplifer for it, however I found the PSW 10 on Amazon for $89.99. I've read several reviews on amazon and most are excellent reviews. But I want some thoughts from you guys, the experts. So, as the title suggests, what are your thoughts?

EDIT: Might I also mention the price on Polk Audio's website is $239.95. Hence why I'm considering getting it. It is also cheaper than getting a sub amp.

xSinisterDrakex

xSinisterDrakex

Junior Audioholic
Would a 12" sub be too much for a 10'x12' room? I don't want to overdo it. However that monoprice sub is more bang for the buck.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Huh? What would make it "too much"? In my bedroom a little larger than that size I use two 12"s.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Would a 12" sub be too much for a 10'x12' room? I don't want to overdo it. However that monoprice sub is more bang for the buck.
Wait there’s such thing as over doing it?

IMO, the only time something is too much for a room is when it becomes a fire escape hazard or makes opening the door difficult.

If the Guinness book of world records had a record for the puniest subwoofer ever designed, the Polk psw 10 might just win it. I had an 8” passive sub an the entry level onkyo htib that managed to extend 5hz deeper, play louder, and sound cleaner than the psw10. I could not get the psw10 to fill my tiny teenage bedroom measuring 8’x7’ without bottoming out, port noise, and clipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
FWIW the current and previous version of the polk sub always sell for around $100, so the msrp is meaningless. I'd have to agree with the monoprice suggested sub, seems well reviewed, good measurements and not ugly.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
FWIW the current and previous version of the polk sub always sell for around $100, so the msrp is meaningless. I'd have to agree with the monoprice suggested sub, seems well reviewed, good measurements and not ugly.
I’d add the Dayton sub 1200 or 1500 for extra extension as well. If you can fit the 1500 in your room you should be able to get -3dB down to 23hz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a pair of 15" subwoofers in my living room. You dial them in to play well with the rest of your speakers. Over doing it should never be an issue.

I'm also in camp Monoprice. For ~the same price as the PSW you get a much better sub.

xSinisterDrakex

xSinisterDrakex

Junior Audioholic
Ok let me rephrase, will it be too much to piss off my wife? Lol

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Depends on the wife! As @Pogre said, you would set up said sub to blend well within the system. If that’s too much for her, you may have to adjust your listening schedule if that’s possible. In my house, I’m accommodating to others in the house with regard to infringing on their time/space but conversely, when it’s time for dad to turn up the wick, I will, and that’s just how it is. My wife lets me know often that a 7.3ch system in our LR is not to her liking. I then reminder that I live there too, and she will not dictate on her own what my system consists of.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Do it! If not for any other reason, to understand where the boundary lies. Ideally, push the boundary here and give a little elsewhere (example, once in a decade Twilight marathon, okay, once in a lifetime).

xSinisterDrakex

xSinisterDrakex

Junior Audioholic
Luckily I have a mancave for my home theater system. However with that being said she also spends a lot of time in there with me. I told her "let me have my mancave the way I want it and you can have the rest of the house the way you want it". My main concern was it being too loud as she has very sensitive hearing and my hearing is not so sensitive. She is happy with the boring tinny sound from the TV. I'm the audiophile of the house and like my sound to be rich and robust. I guess its true, opposites do attract lol.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Loud is how you use the master volume dial....if you integrate the sub properly it shouldn't be particularly loud by itself (unless you set it up that way). Hopefully she'll learn to like the better audio a well setup system can provide.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Excellent reviews of this model just mean they have not compared it to literally anything. I have actually owned it due to a Polk promotion when I bought some LSis.

I'd shoot for something better, probably smaller (bigger than the PSW10) and sealed, to avoid her being unhappy.

xSinisterDrakex

xSinisterDrakex

Junior Audioholic
I'm gonna go with the Monoprice sub mentioned above. Its only $10 more, is a 12" versus a 10" and can handle more watts. I'm sure it will be a nice addition to my home theater system. I'm also going to get a technics center channel speaker to replace the soundbar for the matching timbre of my current main speakers which are the Technics SB-CR99's with 15" woofers. Its gonna sound good when I'm done.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm gonna go with the Monoprice sub mentioned above. Its only $10 more, is a 12" versus a 10" and can handle more watts. I'm sure it will be a nice addition to my home theater system. I'm also going to get a technics center channel speaker to replace the soundbar for the matching timbre of my current main speakers which are the Technics SB-CR99's with 15" woofers. Its gonna sound good when I'm done.
That's not how the sub's amp wattage rating works. It really doesn't indicate what the handling capabilities of the system are, just what this system is comprised of in terms of the included amp. It is not a way to compare it to other subs (unless they used the same driver/box).

xSinisterDrakex

xSinisterDrakex

Junior Audioholic
That's not how the sub's amp wattage rating works. It really doesn't indicate what the handling capabilities of the system are, just what this system is comprised of in terms of the included amp. It is not a way to compare it to other subs (unless they used the same driver/box).
Either way, the specs on the monoprice sub seem better than the Polk Audio. And for $10 more I'll take the bigger driver.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis