Yamaha RX-A1050 replacement

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
I currently have a RX-A1050 AVR and have the upgrade bug. What should I buy that suits my current 5.1 system. I listen to about 95% streaming music.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I currently have a RX-A1050 AVR and have the upgrade bug. What should I buy that suits my current 5.1 system. I listen to about 95% streaming music.
What features would you like to have that your RX-A1050 does not offer already? What's bugging you?

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
If you liked your Yamaha, why not just get a newer model? If you're looking to venture out, what features and budget?

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
the Yamaha might not be the problem, how about speakers?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Your Yamaha 1050 is equivalent to the Denon X3300 in terms of MSRP. The X3300 is on sale for $599 now.

A step up from your Yamaha 1050 is the Denon X4300, which is on sale for $799.

I think most people would say the biggest difference will be Audyssey XT32 vs YPAO and the power output.

Audyssey Dynamic EQ primarily boosts the mid-bass and a little bit on the treble. The magnitude of this effect depends on your setting for the Dynamic EQ.

This feature (Dynamic EQ) is an unequivocal must-have for me for both music and movies.

Except for the higher-end Yamaha’s, I think the Denon will have better power output and can handle lower impedance then the Yamaha. For example, the older Denon 3000-Series (AVR 3805) has a dynamic power output of 170W into 1 ohm. That’s one ohm! Some external amps can’t even pass this torture 1 ohm dynamic test.

I think the Denon X4300 is more equivalent to the older Denon 3000-Series in terms of power.

As always, YMMV.

Last edited:
Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
No problem just looking for something better/different.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
The 1050 is is a solid receiver, but if you wanted to upgrade and stay with the same brand, you could look for last year's flagship, 3060, at a reduced price. You would be getting a bump in power plus the best DACs Yamaha puts into Aventage receivers. If you looked hard enough, you probably find one for less than MSRP, because of course the 3070 is out now. Or if you wanted to change brands, you go with Denon/Marantz or Anthem to name a few. I tried a Denon with Audessy and dynamic eq before I settled on mine, and I honestly don't think the Yamaha and YPAO gives up a thing to the Denon as far as sound quality. YMMV, The Denon concerned me because it ran hot as hell, and my receiver stays on mostly all day when I am home. I don't have that problem with the Yamaha. And the latest firmware update, brings the 3060 very close to the 3070, save a couple of minor changes.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
No problem just looking for something better/different.
As suggested so far, for a low budget upgrade, the Denon AVR-X4300H is highly recommended. If you can stretch you budget, then go for the RX-A3060.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Geezsus, how old is the 1050? Im still using an RX-V1500 and a RX-V1800 with absolutely no need or want to upgrade. The money I saved by not upgrading allowed me to pick up a new mirrorless camera and 11x zoom lens. My advice is to hold tight and don't upgrade just because you want to. Upgrade for a reason.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Those are great receivers you have. the only reason I upgraded was because my RX-v2500 had no hdmi inputs or outputs! :D So I was in the stone ages.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Those are great receivers you have. the only reason I upgraded was because my RX-v2500 had no hdmi inputs or outputs! :D So I was in the stone ages.
Im thinking the same thing about my RX-V1500 as it has no HDMI either. I get 1080p to the display but only DD and DTS fof my surround sound codecs.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Im thinking the same thing about my RX-V1500 as it has no HDMI either. I get 1080p to the display but only DD and DTS fof my surround sound codecs.
I here you.. Well, you could pick up a great quality receiver that'll have everything you need in terms of features and connections for not a ton of coin. Lots of options on good deals from Yamaha and Denon.

It's just a matter of wanting to allocate the cash:D, and how much.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
That A1050 is a solid unit also has premium chipsets in it. Outside of going separates and spending 3 g's not much better I believe even if you went with a Flagship unit. Now if you went and got say McIntosh pre pro or Krell yeah sure but than you may have to sell off that Porsche.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis