High Resolution Audio Players. Computer vs. Decks

T

Texaz

Enthusiast
Hi,

Ok I have solved my amp and speaker issues and now attempting to optimize my front end.

I gather uncompressed FLAC would be as good as it gets depending upon numerous variables.

Right now playing mostly AAC via Audirvana from a MacBook Pro. Allows a wide variety of file choices from MP3 to MQA to aforementioned FLAC etc..

Does a "PONO" (No I'm not consdering a PONO but as a generic term for portable storage and play back of a wide variety of files this sort of device) type player offer any advantages?

An Astell & Kern AK70 popped up on my radar and has my interest.

Will any of these offer any advantage over a Macbook Pro or iMac I'm considering upgrading to?

Thanks,

Tex Az

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
What's the use of it for you? The AK70 is a portable music player, so how does this relate to your amp and speakers? It seems best used as a portable headphone amp and DAC.

If you want something for your home system, wouldn't a streaming device that can access streaming services as well as your own library of music be better? I use Bluesound products for that, and leave my PC off. Only the network is live so I can stream Tidal or TuneIn.

T

Texaz

Enthusiast
What's the use of it for you? The AK70 is a portable music player, so how does this relate to your amp and speakers? It seems best used as a portable headphone amp and DAC.

If you want something for your home system, wouldn't a streaming device that can access streaming services as well as your own library of music be better? I use Bluesound products for that, and leave my PC off. Only the network is live so I can stream Tidal or TuneIn.

Well.. to play hi res files being the purpose!

I had a Bluesound with an NAD and it was problematic. Never tracked down to BluOS of NAD and traded out. So not a Hegel H90 and it connects flawlessly via USB where is becomes a soundcard or Airplay network.

I'm about to purchase Audirvana that plays a wide variety of music files. Considering others as well. iTunes is a real disappointment on many levels so must do something else.

I'm wondering if the Mac gets in the way at all. Seems like some of the even portables may do a better job than iTunes.

Or will software improve my situation?

I'm not going to go crazy on this system more than I have! Pretty much THERE but want ability to play more file formats.

Thanks,

Tex Az

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I've had ZERO problems with my Bluesound Vault 2, can't say quite the same about NAD though it's been working well for some time now.

I of course realize the AK70 would be used for playing high res files. My question centers around output to what? Headphones or loudspeakers? Bluesound isn't for you if you ever want to play DSD files.

T

Texaz

Enthusiast
Perhaps I should rephrase...

Software solutions via the Mac or hardware solutions?

I suggested the portables as they are self contained and probably much less expensive that some desk top devices.

The Mac has obvious advantages such as a GUI for browsing but again not sure if Mac is imposing itself on the files as is its want with many files.

Thanks,

Tex AZ

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FLAC is compressed fwiw, it's a lossless compression format.

While no apple fan, particularly of itunes, would think it (your computer) should do whatever you need it to as long as the connectivity works for you.

Only advantage of a portable unit would be portability....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis