2017 Subwoofer Roundup: Seven Models Compared From $600-$700

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Let's say you need great bass and have a $700 budget: what subwoofers should you be looking at? In this article, we will briefly go over seven of the top contenders in this price range. The subs in this comparison are more alike than different in terms of specifications, and any of them look to be fine choices for accomplishing the task of great bass. However, each does have different strengths. So, which is best for your particular application? Read on to find out the specialty of each.

Read: 2017 Subwoofer Roundup: Seven Models Compared From $600-$700

U

utopianemo

Junior Audioholic
These are all great subs at great prices. I almost bought one, but at the advice of many I ended up going the DIY route. For about $1,300, I bought two Dayton Ultimax 18" subs, with sealed flatpacks, and a Behringer iNuke6000DSP.

I would have been happy with one or two of any of those subs, but these Daytons outperform every other element of my system by a wide margin.

U

utopianemo

Junior Audioholic
As a follow up to my DIY comment above, I was lucky enough to sit in on a demo a few days ago of the SVS SB16 Ultra in a reference system. That thing is a beast, and it packs a mighty wallop. But all through the demo, I kept thinking, "man, my subs have this thing beat". That's pretty impressive for just over half the price.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
There is a lot more to the 16 Ultra subs than raw performance.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I would really like to know hands down what is the best sub for music under 600 dollars. I need high output as well since I am somewhat a bass head. Any suggestions or opinions as to what I should look at.?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I would really like to know hands down what is the best sub for music under 600 dollars. I need high output as well since I am somewhat a bass head. Any suggestions or opinions as to what I should look at.?
Mentioned in the article, Hsu's VTF-2 MK5 comes in at just slightly over 6 bills, shipped. I have 2 of its big brother and they're beasts. I suspect the VTF-2 will be an over achiever too. Lots of bang for your buck and worth going slightly over budget, imo.

N

natetg57

Audiophyte
I would suggest the Rythmik L12. You can get two for a little over $1000

S

SounderMN

Audiophyte
I would like to see a discussion on integrating a sub into a two channel system that includes a turntable. Isn't it possible for Subwoofer vibrations to cause hum or feedback through the turntable? What are things to consider when setting up a sub with a turntable? For example, if the sub goes to very low frequencies (below 20hz), is it more likely to cause this sort of feedback?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would like to see a discussion on integrating a sub into a two channel system that includes a turntable. Isn't it possible for Subwoofer vibrations to cause hum or feedback through the turntable? What are things to consider when setting up a sub with a turntable? For example, if the sub goes to very low frequencies (below 20hz), is it more likely to cause this sort of feedback?
This isn't particular to subwoofers. Vibrations getting into the vinyl playback has been a problem for many decades. The thing to do is mechanically isolate the tone arm and platter. There have been many different ways that turntable manufacturers have tried to isolate the tone arm and platter. Many manufacturers just make super thick platters. You can also place the turntable on something that is mechanically isolated itself, the shelving. 'Audiophile' equipment racks have all kinds of ways to isolate the equipment from vibration transmission. A lot of these methods can be over-the-top and very expensive.

The common sense thing to do is just place the turntable on a very sturdy and inert surface. However if you are a big time bass head and just love blasting the subs, there isn't much you can do to preserve playback from vibration interference.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Depends on whether the two ch system has bass management or not :), what's your flavor? There's a reason for rumble filters, and they predate subs.

DHicks

Audioholic Intern
For what it's worth, I have the VTF2-MK5 working alone in a 1400 sq ft apt. It is fantastic! I plug the ports for more mid headroom but could get deeper by opening up. I like the flexibility the Hsu provides. Saving up for #2.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I would really like to see an in house test vs. just publishing models and specs. It's good to know what is out there, but better to get some testing done :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
One point that should be made is in addition to the improved accuracy (which you mentioned), the servo in the Rythmik also improves efficiency allowing them to get more output from a lower powered amp.

E

eracer001

Audiophyte
Debating between ELAC s12eq and the HSU VTF-2 Mk5. Anyone have thoughts on these two?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Easily Hsu, can't think of any Elac product I'd buy.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'd probably go with the SVS SB-2000 because of the weight (35 lbs), as I've already suffered two hernia surgeries and don't need anymore. I've already been advised my current subs are the weak link. (Definitive Technology ProSub 800).

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
For over a year now I've been in fear that supervillians had not only infiltrated the whitehouse but were also invading the home theater market as well, turns out those were just nicknames of subwoofers. Silly me...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis