Bob Leonard

Bob Leonard

Junior Audioholic
I have heard on YouTube, and read on various audio forums that the new Marantz SR8012 is referred to a “beast”. I was curious to the weight of this new flagship from Marantz. I went looking on the net for specifications. On the Marantz USA official web site this model, is not listed yet. However, this new Marantz SR8012 is now on the UK Marantz web site. To my surprise I found the information I was looking for on the PDF download Product Information Page. The weight listed is 17.4kg. or 38.36lb. Has the bar been lowered on what is now considered a “Beast” of a Receiver? I used to own a Denon AVR-5805 105lb, and a Onkyo TX-NR1000 72lb, and currently own a Denon AVR-5308ci 62lb. I was excited and hoping for a return to a more robust design of the past. I’m hoping this is a misprint. As I'm looking at a replacement for my Denon AVr-5308ci.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
So if your only looking for heavy products and that is your standard bearer, you may be disappointed going forward. My 9lb crown amps are beasts. Newer materials can account for some of weight "loss" . The TOL Anthem avr weighs less, 11 channels of amplification and features too boot.

B

bluewizard

Audiophyte
I would speculate a substantial amount of the saved weight comes from Switching Power Supplies and Class-D amps. But those don't necessarily effect the performance of the amp.

Linear Power Supplies and Class-A/B amps are always going to weight substantially more.

Class-D amps are not perfect, but they have been improving by leaps and bounds over time, and today it is possible to get some pretty stellar amps. I believe the NAD Master Series use Class-D amps.

You have to weigh your amps by the Sound not the Pound.

Steve/bluewizard

B

bluewizard

Audiophyte
The Marantz SR8012 has 140w/ch -

Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.05% 2ch Drive): 140w/ch

It also has a 780w Power Supply, or at least the Max Power is rated at 780w -

Power Consumption in W: 780w

It is a 7 channel amp with additional Pre-Amp outputs to bring it up to 11 channel.

For an AVR, 7-channels with over 750w of Power Supply is pretty good.

Under-rated Power Supplies are very common in AVRs on the assumption that the channels are not used uniformly. The bulk of power demands are on the Front Three (left/center/right), that Surround channels are for the most part cruising.

As AVRs go, the Marantz SR8012 has a considerable Power Supply.

https://www.marantz.co.uk/uk/products/pages/productdetails.aspx?catid=hometheatre&subcatid=avreceiver&productid=sr8012

https://www.marantz.co.uk/DocumentMaster/UK/SR8012_EN01_Update.pdf

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis