2 channel stereo receivers

N

Norman Jungbluth

Audiophyte
I have an av system but i think I may want to also buy a 2 channel vintage receiver for one reason. I've had a pair of Canton Karat 40's for over twenty years. When I bought them I had one of the more powerful Kenwood 2 channel stereo receiver and it was perfect to push the speakers but it died and I went with av 5.1 channel surround and used the cantons as front speakers. I've had 3 a/v receivers that couldn't really push the speakers well. One got close it was a Marantz sr 7200 but it had problems eventually and the next two were denon avr 1801 and avr 1803. Now, the speakers are 4 Ohm and the receivers were 8. My quest is to get some suggestions as to what I need to do in order to get the sound I use to have without too much out of pocket cost. I am a bit tech challenged and would appreciate help from someone who isn't. I'm not getting rid of the speakers easily if at all so I'd like to get that said. Thank you
I had to look up audiophyte to learn what it meant. I still don't know.

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I have an av system but i think I may want to also buy a 2 channel vintage receiver for one reason. I've had a pair of Canton Karat 40's for over twenty years. When I bought them I had one of the more powerful Kenwood 2 channel stereo receiver and it was perfect to push the speakers but it died and I went with av 5.1 channel surround and used the cantons as front speakers. I've had 3 a/v receivers that couldn't really push the speakers well. One got close it was a Marantz sr 7200 but it had problems eventually and the next two were denon avr 1801 and avr 1803. Now, the speakers are 4 Ohm and the receivers were 8. My quest is to get some suggestions as to what I need to do in order to get the sound I use to have without too much out of pocket cost. I am a bit tech challenged and would appreciate help from someone who isn't. I'm not getting rid of the speakers easily if at all so I'd like to get that said. Thank you
What kind of budget are we talking about here? 4 Ohm loads can be problematic for a lot of low end receivers. Of course, your listening habits will also play a part. Since I do not know a budget it is hard to recommend something. However, if this one is not out out of your budget, then I highly recommend it:

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2160.html

In terms of power/output you will have no worries. It also has a retro look to it. Some like that and some don't. Are you in the US? Would appreciate a bit more info as it would be of great help recommending something to you. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
If your current avr has preouts, why not pick up a 2 or 3 channel power amp? Buying vintage electronics can be tough and the "good" ones will be expensive still. A crown pro amp like this would allow for all the power needed and is inexpensive. It has selectable input voltage to match any preamp output voltage

https://www.parts-express.com/crown-xls-1502-drivecore-2-power-amplifier-2-x-525w-at-4-ohms--245-508

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If THIS is the Karat 40 you have, it is only rated 130W music power. Any older Denon AVR-3X00 can drive them without problem. For 2 channel receiver, the Outlaw and older Harman Kardon models should be able to the job if you can find one.

For a new one at budget price, how about a Yamaha:

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/r-s700/specs.html#product-tabs

or even the R-S500

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/r-s500/index.html

Again, the 4 ohm Karat 40 is only rated 90W DIN, 130W music power. Any good 100WX2 receiver can handle 130W music power even at 4 ohms. If you push them hard listening to highly compressed music, a much more powerful unit may blow them up anyway.

Ideally a 150 to 200W two channel receiver would be good but if a good 100WX2 receiver is hard to find, the more powerful ones are going to be even harder to find and likely costly.

If you don't mind integrated amps, then there are more choices.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
In case you want to hear another opinion, do what PENG says. :D

The older Denon AVR-3805 was measured to produce 170 dynamic watts into 1 ohm in a power test.

So 4 ohms is nothing.

Also pay attention to what PENG said regarding your speakers’ power rating of “130W music power”. A lot more power than that could risk blowing your old fragile speakers.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If THIS is the Karat 40 you have, it is only rated 130W music power. Any older Denon AVR-3X00 can drive them without problem. For 2 channel receiver, the Outlaw and older Harman Kardon models should be able to the job if you can find one.

For a new one at budget price, how about a Yamaha:

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/r-s700/specs.html#product-tabs

or even the R-S500

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/r-s500/index.html

Again, the 4 ohm Karat 40 is only rated 90W DIN, 130W music power. Any good 100WX2 receiver can handle 130W music power even at 4 ohms. If you push them hard listening to highly compressed music, a much more powerful unit may blow them up anyway.

Ideally a 150 to 200W two channel receiver would be good but if a good 100WX2 receiver is hard to find, the more powerful ones are going to be even harder to find and likely costly.

If you don't mind integrated amps, then there are more choices.
Many of us have had excellent experiences buying factory refurbished gear from Accessories4less:
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrs700bl/yamaha-r-s700-2-ch-x-100-watts-natural-sound-stereo-receiver-bose-901-comp/1.html

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
There are plenty of stereo receivers you could consider, new or used. If you don't need FM / AM (ie you already have an AV receiver for that) a stereo integrated amp would be just as good.

The "stereo receiver / amp" market is vast ... units are not made obsolete by connection types or surround sound technologies like the AV market experiences. Get whatever you want, new, garage sale, used, Goodwill, whatever floats your boat.

2-channel components almost certainly will handle 4-ohm loads; it's essentially expected of them, unlike some multichannel units. I would not worry about that aspect of it as far as driving your Cantons go.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis