What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Upgraded from the original black felt mat on my ProJect RPM-1 turntable. I got tired of the static electricity buildup that caused the felt mat to be stuck to the bottom side of most LP's I played. This works MUCH better, and seems quieter too!
Pro-Ject needs to ditch those POS felt mats!

Freaking hundreds of $ on hardware, then save a couple bucks on that POS!

See my avatar pic...............

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Agreed, it's junk. They (Pro-Ject) do offer a cork mat as an additional expense but my dealer likes the quality of the Music Hall one better. Having compared the two side-by-side, I can understand why. This one is a finer "grain" of cork and is smoother so it resists embedding dirt and dust.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Upgraded from the original black felt mat on my ProJect RPM-1 turntable. I got tired of the static electricity buildup that caused the felt mat to be stuck to the bottom side of most LP's I played. This works MUCH better, and seems quieter too!
I bought the same cork mat to replace the rubber one on my Marantz TT42 turntable.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I know felt is no good and I get all the static and such, but is this cork mat really good?

The reason I ask; I see it has those round elevations all over the outer perimeter and another elevation in the middle. So the vinyl gets suspended in air making a membrane out of it.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
The supporting perimeter disks are thicker than the one at the center so the LP lies flat and the label is also supported. My TT's tonearm is fairly low mass carbon fiber & aluminum, and medium tracking force (1.75 grams, IIRC.) I don't notice any resonance at all, and as I stated before it does seem to run quieter. Best part is it stays on the platter when I flip the LP over and ZERO static buildup.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Agreed, it's junk. They (Pro-Ject) do offer a cork mat as an additional expense but my dealer likes the quality of the Music Hall one better. Having compared the two side-by-side, I can understand why. This one is a finer "grain" of cork and is smoother so it resists embedding dirt and dust.
I use the Pro-Ject cork mat now. That Technics in my pic, I just had from my SL1210 so I used it as a stop-gap when my Pro-Ject had that crappy felt mat. Seriously, Pro-Ject must realize how crappy that thing is.

I may upgrade to the Acryl-It platter one day. It would be nice, I doubt that it does much to audibly improve the sound, but it looks nice. I did ask the guys at U-Turn if their acrylic platter would fit the Pro-Ject debut carbon since their platter is a bit cheaper, but no luck on that.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I wouldn't use an acrylic platter. Plastics (polymers) can be prone to static buildup. I suppose if you separate from the LP with cork or similar non-conductive material between the acrylic platter and vinyl LP, it works fine.

While I could easily manufacture a high quality aluminum platter for my TT, the term "as casting pearls before swine" comes to mind.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I wouldn't use an acrylic platter. Plastics (polymers) can be prone to static buildup. I suppose if you separate from the LP with cork or similar non-conductive material between the acrylic platter and vinyl LP, it works fine.

While I could easily manufacture a high quality aluminum platter for my TT, the term "as casting pearls before swine" comes to mind.
Well, installing the acrylic platter then a cork mat.....defeats the entire point of installing the acrylic platter!

I could be wrong, but I thought that the people using the acrylic platter said that static was not a problem. Dunno, perhaps it is impregnated with carbon fibers or some other conductive material? That would be the correct approach to controlling static buildup in a polymer.

But, yeah, you are preaching to the choir! I work in a semiconductor manufacturing factory as analytical lab support. I am intimately familiar with polymers and static buildup! Teflon is one of the worst! In the factory, we have ESD ion emitters that actually emit ions to kill static buildup. A critical part of the infrastructure.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I bought this lens for my Olympus M10 Mark II; a little better then 1x zoom. I negotiated $200 off of the list price. :)

Last edited:
Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Been Busy Buying Stuff: Need to find a solid photo sharing site, photobucket kicked the bucket for me,

1. A new House (Pre Landscaping)(Pre Interior Painting)(Pre Finished Basement) (Pre Fence (Nov 13th))lol still tons to do. Not huge but 2900 sqr feet enough basement also will add another 1000 when finished.

• Now with 9 foot ceilings in my basement
  • I should be able to do the my HT and Atmos Justice
2. Sony XBR65X900E TV -
  • Wanted a TV to play my incoming Xbox 1X and PS4 Pro Games in 4k HDR
  • was going to go get a cheap set, but got this for around 400 less than what they are currently selling at Best Buy for from my dealer so a no brainer.
  • Will most likely be picking up a Sony Projector soon for my HT Room
3. GoldenEar (2) SuperStat 50 and a 50C, for 3 Channel in the Living room
  • Being Hung up with TV on Saturday
4. Non Audio Related the Ego 21" Self Propelled lawn mower - It is Awsome ;)

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I have had the same rotten experience with Photobucket. I truly wish them the worst; may they sued by thousands and go completely broke!

Congrats on the new house and TV!

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I have had the same rotten experience with Photobucket. I truly wish them the worst; may they sued by thousands and go completely broke!

Congrats on the new house and TV!
I just realized I can use google pictures to do the same thing and I don't have to worry about storage, problem solved

Next big purchase will be my new car as my lease is ending, going with BMW 440XI Grand Coupe Loaded if I can get my dealership to come down another 1k. Then I am officially poor

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Been Busy Buying Stuff: Need to find a solid photo sharing site, photobucket kicked the bucket for me,

1. A new House (Pre Landscaping)(Pre Interior Painting)(Pre Finished Basement) (Pre Fence (Nov 13th))lol still tons to do. Not huge but 2900 sqr feet enough basement also will add another 1000 when finished.

Looks like you have some distance between you and neighbor plus basement placed system = lots of subs and power :D

2channel lover

I bought the following on vinyl;

SACD most likely as I think unfortunately my vinyl days are over, but "Wired" is high on my list to buy...have "Blow By Blow? on sacd and love it...gearing up for another purchase soon.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
SACD most likely as I think unfortunately my vinyl days are over, but "Wired" is high on my list to buy...have "Blow By Blow? on sacd and love it...gearing up for another purchase soon.
This my first foray into Jeff Beck. Ten years ago I would not have liked this album. Last night, I listened to it and although I was not awed at first. I'm sure this album will sink its hooks deep inside me as I hear so much "good stuff" (for lack of better words) going on.

2channel lover

This my first foray into Jeff Beck. Ten years ago I would not have liked this album. Last night, I listened to it and although I was not awed at first. I'm sure this album will sink its hooks deep inside me as I hear so much "good stuff" (for lack of better words) going on.
Mine as well. Ironic...I use youtube for discovery a lot and my initial thought to J. Beck was...eeehhh, but I was buying a few sacds and once you hit a minimum $ figure shipping was free and a small discount. I was laboring on it and decided to get it because it was a multichannel. Definitely retro to the jam session era...after playing it the 2nd time on the big system, it started to register a lot more and I've since played it about 4 more times.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis