New To HD Audio - Need Help Please

D

Dougal

Audiophyte
Hi Folks

After many (too many) years of of using crap to mediocre PC speakers and systems, I'm just getting into listening to QUALITY music reproduction from my PC. What can I say.... WOW!

I'm looking for places to find high quality downloads. I've had a good look at HDTracks, but there isn't really a vast amount to choose from:-(

I don't really care its free or to buy, but any pointers most welcome;-)

I'm assuming FLAC or WAV files are the way to go?

Thanks

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi Folks

After many (too many) years of of using crap to mediocre PC speakers and systems, I'm just getting into listening to QUALITY music reproduction from my PC. What can I say.... WOW!

I'm looking for places to find high quality downloads. I've had a good look at HDTracks, but there isn't really a vast amount to choose from:-(

Thanks
Try the link below. HDTracks may still have the largest collection.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/music/best-sites-downloading-hd-music/

Formats make no difference in sound quality, Flac files are best due to their smaller size. DSD files are also big, but in my experience, the odds for them to come from high quality masters seem the highest. I purchase DSDs only for that reason.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
For flac, onkyo music has a huge selection, and has the added benefit of cloud storage and streaming that hdtracks doesn’t.

Whether or not you can hear a difference between hi res audio and standard 16/44 is a hotly debated topic, with both sides presenting valid arguments. I’d say you’d have to be the judge of that yourself.

Personally, I was able to pick out a hi res version of a track from a red book version in a couple different abx tests, however, the difference wasn’t that jaw dropping, and really only had a very minor effect on the attack of transients with instruments like cymbals and snares. Some tracks didn’t have any discernible benefit. It’s worth mentioning that in order to properly play back hi res audio, a sound card/dac capable of 24/192 and speakers capable of >30khz frequency extension is necessary. Even if the benefit of high frequency content is only due to increased temporal resolution rather than being able to perceive ultrasonic frequencies directly (which is the only thing I have seen evidence for in research), a tweeter that rolls off at 20khz likely will not be able to correctly produce the quick impulse necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Dougal

Audiophyte
My new but basic setup is:
Quality (Asus Z170 Deluxe) motherboard onboard sound.
Optical cable feeding SMSL SA-50 Plus amp/dac
Q-Accoustic 3010 speakers

Its been suggested elsewhere that upgrading to a separate sound card would not improve anything here. Would you agree?

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
My new but basic setup is:
Quality (Asus Z170 Deluxe) motherboard onboard sound.
Optical cable feeding SMSL SA-50 Plus amp/dac
Q-Accoustic 3010 speakers

Its been suggested elsewhere that upgrading to a separate sound card would not improve anything here. Would you agree?
Since you're sending digital via optical cable to the SMSL, the DAC is happening there. An outboard sound card could help, but, better to upgrade the SMSL instead.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Since you're sending digital via optical cable to the SMSL, the DAC is happening there. An outboard sound card could help, but, better to upgrade the SMSL instead.
Do you have a suggestion for a good upgrade unit?

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
Hi Folks

Thanks
IMO the days of buying physical media are behind us (unless it's not available on a hi-fidelity streaming service).

If you have a high speed internet connection I would suggest giving a Tidal Hi-Fi subscription a try. I do almost 100% of my listening nowadays via 44 kHz/16bit (and higher) streaming and the sound quality is fantastic. I've been in this hobby for almost 40 years and my music collection has never sounded so good, been so eclectic or grown so fast.

IMO, at $20 a month it's a bargain based on the music I have in my growing library. There is no hesitation or worries about about buying something I may not like, I can try everything and add what I like!

If you try it and you like the sound quality and selection I would also recommend a subscription to Roon. It will tie the physical media on your hard drive and the Tidal stream into an awesome player seamlessly. You will never look back.

Good luck and enjoy the world of Hi-Fidelity computer audio.

http://tidal.com/us/try-now

https://roonlabs.com/

I'd be happy to help if you have any questions.

Last edited:
D

Dougal

Audiophyte
IMO the days of buying physical media are behind us (unless it's not available on a hi-fidelity streaming service).

If you have a high speed internet connection I would suggest giving a Tidal Hi-Fi subscription a try. I do almost 100% of my listening nowadays via 44 kHz/16bit (and higher) streaming and the sound quality is fantastic. I've been in this hobby for almost 40 years and my music collection has never sounded so good, been so eclectic or grown so fast.

IMO, at $20 a month it's a bargain based on the music I have in my growing library. There is no hesitation or worries about about buying something I may not like, I can try everything and add what I like!

If you try it and you like the sound quality and selection I would also recommend a subscription to Roon. It will tie the physical media on your hard drive and the Tidal stream into an awesome player seamlessly. You will never look back.

Good luck and enjoy the world of Hi-Fidelity computer audio.

http://tidal.com/us/try-now

https://roonlabs.com/

I'd be happy to help if you have any questions.
Many thanks for the info.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis