Pioneer AV receiver often struggling to respond to remote controller

King Mustard

King Mustard

Enthusiast
My Pioneer VSX-324-K-P AV receiver (part of the Pioneer HTP-072 home theatre package) was released in 2013.

I purchased new from a store in March 2016.

For the past two months or so, it often doesn't respond to the remote controller.

Sometimes it works instantly but if not, it eventually responds on the 4th or 5th press.

I received a replacement controller from Pioneer and tried many new batteries but the issue still occurs.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
What type of lightning is in the room and what display are you using?

Edit: does they remote act the same way when in close proximity to the ir receiver?

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Have you tried a soft reboot by unplugging the receiver for 10 minutes?

While unlikely, it could be the IR receiver in the AVR itself.

King Mustard

King Mustard

Enthusiast
What type of lightning is in the room and what display are you using?

Edit: does they remote act the same way when in close proximity to the ir receiver?
The room lighting hasn't changed in years.

The remote controller can be 1 meter away and still have the issues described in the first post.
Have you tried a soft reboot by unplugging the receiver for 10 minutes?

While unlikely, it could be the IR receiver in the AVR itself.
I turn the power off each night before bed.

It would be annoying if the IR receiver has gone bad 17 months after I purchased the unit (and 5 months after the warranty period is over) :(

King Mustard

King Mustard

Enthusiast
That is not the same. Unplugging the power entirely will clear out buffers, locked up resources, etc.
I unplugged it for over an hour.

Unfortunately, this didn't change anything.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
That's unfortunate. Next troubleshooting step will be a factory reset. FYI: You will lose all settings.

The following steps need to be done on the receiver and not via the remote.
  1. Turn off the power via STANDBY/ON button.
  2. Holding down ENTER and press STANDBY/ON (The display shows RESET < NO >).
  3. Using PRESET << / >> buttons select 'RESET'.
  4. Press ENTER (The display shows RESET? OK).
  5. Press ENTER (OK appears in the display).
Receiver has been reset to the factory default settings. Hopefully, the remote starts working again.

King Mustard

King Mustard

Enthusiast
That's unfortunate. Next troubleshooting step will be a factory reset. FYI: You will lose all settings.

The following steps need to be done on the receiver and not via the remote.
  1. Turn off the power via STANDBY/ON button.
  2. Holding down ENTER and press STANDBY/ON (The display shows RESET < NO >).
  3. Using PRESET << / >> buttons select 'RESET'.
  4. Press ENTER (The display shows RESET? OK).
  5. Press ENTER (OK appears in the display).
Receiver has been reset to the factory default settings. Hopefully, the remote starts working again.
If I hold Enter and tap Standby/On as you suggested, nothing happens. The AV receiver stays in Standby mode.

If I hold Enter and press and hold Standby/On for three seconds, I get: "MAIN:E 0.47". When I loose the buttons, "MAIN:E 0.47" disappears and the unit boots as normal.

EDIT: I had to do the following:
  • Hold Band and then hold Standby/On for two seconds to bring up "Reset?" Loose both buttons.
  • Tap the "Auto Surround/Stream Direct" button to display "OK?"
  • Tap the "ALC/Standard Surr" button for "OK" to appear, followed by the unit rebooting
I'll see if that fixes it, as it's an intermittent issue.

Last edited:
MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I know this is grasping at straws, is someone else in the area using a microwave oven, a cell phone, battery powered shaver, etc?

King Mustard

King Mustard

Enthusiast
I know this is grasping at straws, is someone else in the area using a microwave oven, a cell phone, battery powered shaver, etc?
Nothing had changed in the surrounding area in a year.

It's just a faulty unit.

I'll get it looked at under warranty.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Just a thought.. :(
In rare occasions of doing multiple AV installs over the years, we have found certain components may respond intermittantly to a remote control. Since daylight hours do change, if the system is facing a large window we have had instances where too much light overpowers the IR sensor so it cannot respond to the IR remote control...
In severe cases we mounted a front panel flasher and used a remote IR receiver.

Just my $0.02.. ;)

King Mustard

King Mustard

Enthusiast
buy one on Amazon, send it back if it doesn't help.
I see your point but even if it works, it's ugly.

Since I still have 6 months of warranty, I'll get it fixed that way.

I appreciate your help, everyone :)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
My Pioneer VSX-324-K-P AV receiver (part of the Pioneer HTP-072 home theatre package) was released in 2013.

I purchased new from a store in March 2016.

For the past two months or so, it often doesn't respond to the remote controller.

Sometimes it works instantly but if not, it eventually responds on the 4th or 5th press.

I received a replacement controller from Pioneer and tried many new batteries but the issue still occurs.
Do you press the 'Receiver' button at the upper left of the remote (below the power button)? You need to do that if you want to control it- if you have controlled anything else since using the volume control or other receiver functions, it will be trying to control the other device.

King Mustard

King Mustard

Enthusiast
Do you press the 'Receiver' button at the upper left of the remote (below the power button)? You need to do that if you want to control it- if you have controlled anything else since using the volume control or other receiver functions, it will be trying to control the other device.
If I keep pressing the button I want to use, it eventually works. So it's nothing to do with something I'm doing or a location issue (in relation to inference).

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
If I keep pressing the button I want to use, it eventually works. So it's nothing to do with something I'm doing or a location issue (in relation to inference).
Did someone spill anything on the front of the remote? I have seen that cause this kind of problem several times.

King Mustard

King Mustard

Enthusiast
Did someone spill anything on the front of the remote? I have seen that cause this kind of problem several times.
As I said in the first post, I received a replacement controller from Pioneer and tried many new batteries but the issue still occurs :(

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis