Bic FH 65B for 2.0 bedroom setup?

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Looking for inexpensive bookshelf speakers for a 2.0 setup used mostly for movies and (90%) tv. They will be connected to a Sony STR DH550 (~65w per channel 2ch driven @8 ohms when the wind is blowing right) so decent efficiency is a must. Considering this will be 2.0, I would like something that can achieve a minimum in room response down to 60hz (preferably 50hz). I do not plan on adding a sub, because the room has too many problems acoustically and proper placement for best sound is either in locations that won’t work, or directly where the front left and right speakers will go (including a 3’ elevation) which is why the intend to use semi full range speakers.

The Bic has a rated -3dB response of 40hz. I have no idea how honest that rating is, but I do know that their f12 subwoofer is rated down to 25hz, and measurements confirm that rating, so I would hope the speakers are rated the same. Being horn loaded should help the efficiency. I really do not want to spend over $200 if possible.

Other options on the table are Yamaha ns-6490, Polk monitor 40, or possibly hsu hb-1 mk2. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Why wonder about budget speakers, when you know you can get the AAs from philharmonic for 210. Then you can hear what a budget speaker should sound like.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
In those conditions, I would save up and get the Monoprice K-BAS speakers. You will want as much bass as you can get, and the K-BAS have very good bass extension for their size. Don't expect the BICs to get anywhere near 40 Hz, that rating looks exaggerated. Dennis' AAs look solid in that price range as well.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
You might want to check out the Def Tech SM 45s . They are on sale right now for a ridiculous price. Excellent speakers.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Why wonder about budget speakers, when you know you can get the AAs from philharmonic for 210. Then you can hear what a budget speaker should sound like.
+1. None in $250-500 range can touch AA Monitor on bass extension and most won't on sound quality either.

Probably, $235-250 shipping included.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Trust us, get the AA's!
For an all around "does everything well" speaker, I haven't found anything under $600/pr MSRP that competes with it.
Of course is my subjective preference, but I liked them better than the Elac UniFi and the Ascend Acoustics 340's!
I play in 3 Big Bands in the Atlanta area, so I use the acoustic sounds I know best (trombones, saxes, and trumpets) as my litmus test...though I certainly listen to a broader array of genres on my audition CD.
For Bass, the $1000/pr SVS Ultra Bookshelf (which also have a 6.5" mid-woofer) are the least expensive speaker (normal street price) I have found that compares/beats the AA's!

The best reference points I have as far as a speakers that challenge the AA's is the (now discontinued) Emp E41-B. While the RBH/Emp is very bass deficient (with a 4" mid-woof). The EMP's detail of it is a step up from the AA's (which have better detail than the other competitors I have heard). However, overall, I would still choose the AA's because the bass not only comes through as low notes, but often adds an ambient "solidness" to instruments with higher fundamentals.
I like the Canton Chrono 502.2's I got from A4L for $360 better, but this is a ~ $950/pr speaker that was heavily discounted. It doesn't have quite the bass (6" woofer used) of the AA's but makes up for it with better detail, IMHO.

As always, Dennis has extracted all of the performance he can out of the drivers he uses; thus, ultimately, it comes down to the quality of the drivers that the budget allows and I don't think you can find better drivers than the AA uses for the ~$215 price-point! Using large quantity discounts, large manufactures can buy better quality drivers for the budget, but once you add their profit margins, you won't see it on the shelf!

Info on the EMP E41-B:
http://www.audioholics.com/computer-speaker-reviews/emp-tek-vt-40.2

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Skip the Bic -- better options have been listed

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
In those conditions, I would save up and get the Monoprice K-BAS speakers. You will want as much bass as you can get, and the K-BAS have very good bass extension for their size. Don't expect the BICs to get anywhere near 40 Hz, that rating looks exaggerated. Dennis' AAs look solid in that price range as well.
Those big homely bookshelves (on sale for $400/pr) sure have great specs. I don't need anymore speakers right now but I'd sure love to hear them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The lower sensitivity of the AAs I don't think would be a big issue in a bedroom, but not sure what your spl goals are.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
The lower sensitivity of the AAs I don't think would be a big issue in a bedroom, but not sure what your spl goals are.
95-100dB peak per channel at a distance of 9’ Not impossible for a bookshelf speaker, since I can easily exceed 105dB at 11’ with Klipsch rp-150m’s in my living room, but I can’t justify the cost of them for the bedroom system. Also needs to be capable of producing bass down to 40-50hz. If I can get lower extension, that would be preferred. Also not opposed to towers, if the price is right. I suppose I could extend the budget a bit if needed. I really just want to avoid having to use a sub, I know that sounds ridiculous, but as previously mentioned, a sub is impractical and available placement would only create more problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I did a review of them early this year. They really are quite good, especially for those who are looking for bookshelf speakers but won't be using a subwoofer.
That's an interesting read. Monoprice has sure come a long way from their days as a small importer of good quality cables. Someday (not soon) I'll have to put a calibrated mic in front of their 8" studio monitors just to see how they measure.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis