Recommendation for home theater system

J

JamesDigital

Audiophyte
I am not an audiophile. I am looking for a recommendation for a packaged 5.1 sound system that includes a soundbar and preferably without a receiver. I do not want a big, expensive, complicated system, while I am an engineer I would prefer a simpler plug and play system with decent sound. On the order of $500 or less.

Below is my experience with a home theater system that I was not happy with. While I did like the Bluetooth wireless capability, the overall sound quality was not ideal.

I purchased a Samsung soundbar 5.1 sound system from Costco, HW-KM57C. The system was acceptable up to the point of listening to the rear speakers. The rear speakers are so weak that they are essentially useless. The only way to clearly hear what is coming out the speakers is to hold the speakers up directly to your ear.

I ensured I installed the product properly and there was no configuration setting that would improve the experience.

In the documentation they state that the rear speakers should be 2-3' from your sitting area, which is not practical in my opinion. I would like to mound the rear speakers to a wall that would be 6-8' away from sitting area.

In short I am returning the product.

Thank you for your feedback.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sound bars are weak audio systems generally (and are by no means "home theater systems"), and not very flexible in terms of additions/changes later, altho can be an improvement over tv speakers. We don't even have a subforum here for them. Might try this site's subforum for such, tho.

In a 5.1 setup the speakers aren't "rears", they're simply surrounds and should be placed to the sides, or to the side and slightly behind the listening position; surrounds don't often have a lot of content either (depends what your source is, movies, music, etc), they generally won't be on the level of the mains. Did you try raising the levels of the surrounds (or was that even an option?)? How large is your room?

J

JamesDigital

Audiophyte
Did you try raising the levels of the surrounds (or was that even an option?)?
Yes, no option available.

How large is your room?
13x16

Are there any 5.1 systems that come in a package that the audiophile community generally looks favorably upon?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Did you try raising the levels of the surrounds (or was that even an option?)?
Yes, no option available.

How large is your room?
13x16

Are there any 5.1 systems that come in a package that the audiophile community generally looks favorably upon?
For 500 bucks not really, sorry. Are we talking speakers and receiver?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis