Locking banana plugs worth a try?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
So originally I had bare wire connection and I tried 2 different gauge wire. My problem is that with bare wire the receiver binding posts loosen up every couple weeks and I start to get distortion and volume drops and every time it was easy fix, tighten the binding posts. To avoid this I got Sewell deadbolt banana plugs and they are great, but for some odd reason they also seem to loosen a bit on binding posts and every couple weeks I start to have issues that go away when I wiggle the banana plugs little bit on binding posts. So I started to wonder would getting locking banana plugs get rid of this issue permanently? What do you guys think?

I know it most likely would be best to get my receiver serviced and have the binding posts replaced but last time I contacted Marantz representative he sounded quite annoyed as I already have had my received replaced once for other issues so I think it would be easier to get locking banana plugs if they would solve the issue. Another thing I don't like about the service is that I would need to be 2-4 weeks without receiver.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Are the bare wires, bare or solder tinned (that's different than tin plated)? Because solder tinned connections will cold flow with time and loosen.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
A problem with a lot of AVR's IMO, cheap assed binding posts. I'm not impressed with my Denon 3300 either. But then I remind myself what I paid for it and come up with a workable solution, I think 'agarwalro' has provided a working solution

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
A problem with a lot of AVR's IMO, cheap assed binding posts. I'm not impressed with my Denon 3300 either. But then I remind myself what I paid for it and come up with a workable solution, I think 'agarwalro' has provided a working solution
Dunno, I never seen a real problem with any "decent" 5-way binding post.

Now, the spring-clamps, what POS those are!

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
FWIW, I have a Marantz amp that looks to use binding posts similar (if not identical) to those in your SR7010, and the locking plugs I use as part of the BJC cabling I have get the job done just fine IME.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've never had a binding post loosen up just sitting there, are you moving your gear around in between tightening sessions? Might try a socket wrench on the binding posts to get them tighter than the room allows for finger tightening (but don't get carried away).

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

I've never had a binding post loosen up just sitting there, are you moving your gear around in between tightening sessions? Might try a socket wrench on the binding posts to get them tighter than the room allows for finger tightening (but don't get carried away).
Gear is just sitting there. I have tightened them with finger as tight I can, never had this issue with SR6007 or SR7008 using bare wire so I'm quite certain this issue is with the binding posts on my unit.

Are the bare wires, bare or solder tinned (that's different than tin plated)? Because solder tinned connections will cold flow with time and loosen.
Bare OFC wire. Same wire worked without problems on my previous receivers.

Yes, use locking plugs. I've got these and never had the problem you're experiencing.

https://www.amazon.com/GLS-Audio-Locking-Generation-Connector/dp/B000O8AHLA
I actually was looking at these earlier today, have to check if they are available in europe as well.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Gear is just sitting there. I have tightened them with finger as tight I can, never had this issue with SR6007 or SR7008 using bare wire so I'm quite certain this issue is with the binding posts on my unit.

Bare OFC wire. Same wire worked without problems on my previous receivers.

I actually was looking at these earlier today, have to check if they are available in europe as well.
Wonder how it could loosen on its own? Just how loud do you listen? :)

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
perhaps the bare wire when initially compressed with tightening, over time 'settles' thus the loosening effect ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
perhaps the bare wire when initially compressed with tightening, over time 'settles' thus the loosening effect ?
That's the part I don't get, if properly torqued down it shouldn't loosen. I'm thinking he just doesn't get it very tight with his fingers as it is hard to do with the spacing of the posts on many avrs; why I get out my little socket set out and find one that will fit over the plastic knob snugly and get a little extra tightening over what the fingers can do....but often I just use banana plugs to make it easier anyways, altho haven't had the need for locking ones, they all fit snugly enough...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've had a few plugs work their way out of my older Marantz unit as well. Locking plugs do work and I now use them on the amp side of my gear behind the rack because I spent a lot of time troubleshooting a dead channel only to find it was a banana plug that had slipped out of the back. I don't use them on the speaker side because I'd rather have them pull out or even break than knock the speaker over.

IMO, it is the plugs themselves that lose spring and that's why they come loose. You can use a small screwdriver or knife to "retention" the spring part. That's the reason I switched from standard plugs to BFA style, as they tend to retain their spring much longer than standard plugs. Those that use set screws to retain the wire, with a sleeve that keeps those screws from backing out also keeps them on the wires.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Well honestly I don't know and it is driving me crazy, but I guess there must be small vibration that causes it. For movies and critical listening it is 75db on listening spot that is 2.5m away from main speakers and subs are 2.5m away from receiver as well.. Like said I never had this issue with SR6007 or SR7008 and I think I have got em quite tight by finger as some times I have tought that what if I broke the plastic knobs. And when I think about it now I think I once tightened them carefully with slip joint pliers but that didnt help much.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
That's the part I don't get, if properly torqued down it shouldn't loosen. I'm thinking he just doesn't get it very tight with his fingers as it is hard to do with the spacing of the posts on many avrs; why I get out my little socket set out and find one that will fit over the plastic knob snugly and get a little extra tightening over what the fingers can do....but often I just use banana plugs to make it easier anyways, altho haven't had the need for locking ones, they all fit snugly enough...
Well, one would think that. But, it is copper strands you are squeezing, a soft metal.

I read not long ago where in a lab, perhaps New Zealand, they placed a chunk of amber in a funnel early in the past century. It eventually went through it in 80 years or so, unassisted.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Well honestly I don't know and it is driving me crazy, but I guess there must be small vibration that causes it. ...
Can you solder spade lug on the wire then use that on the terminal? Or just banana plugs.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Can you solder spade lug on the wire then use that on the terminal? Or just banana plugs.
I think spades would do no good as it loosens on bare wire and normal banana plugs didnt help like I stated on op as well. I'm going to look for locking banana plugs today as it should solve my issue like was discussed in this topic.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I think spades would do no good as it loosens on bare wire and normal banana plugs didnt help like I stated on op as well. I'm going to look for locking banana plugs today as it should solve my issue like was discussed in this topic.
Back in the olden days Monster made some very nice locking bananas but expensive. I bought several. Works very well. I am sure the ones linked to earlier are just as good.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You cannot use spades with Marantz AVRs. The binding posts won't accept them.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Received GLS Audio Locking Bananas yesterday after one incident with first delivery and had to have them send another package. Lets see how these will stay contacted, first impression is that the cable should stay in the plug no matter what and I managed to get the plugs quite tight on the receiver as well so I hope they will stay on place. At least after installation the sound is back to what it should be.

Dale Doback

Dale Doback

Junior Audioholic
Locking banana plugs work great. Got mine from Bluejean Cable I think.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis