Dredd 2012 ... Alpha as ...

T

Trev

Audioholic
Hands down... best blu ray I own. I've been a fan of Dredd, Death, and 2000AD for years and years, but while I may be classified as a fan boy... I'm still a film buff and audio junkie. Don't take this with a grain of salt. Dredd IS the action movie you need to see - that you need to buy. While futuristic... it is far more real than Bruce Willis ever will be taking out a chopper with another vehicle or evading a Harrier fighter jet. Carl Urban is a boss. This film is no bullshit, no cheese, no campy female actress f'ing up the mood. Mama... the female gang leader... is on par with Punisher War Zone's Jigsaw, with zero sense of humour or poetry, ... just balls to the wall ...

The Audio on this blu ray... is better than everything else in my library spare Transporter 1. Support this film please if you can. Pick it up. For $20... it's worth it 5 times over. Don't download it. You need the highest quality copy of this one. Also... it's the best 3D film I've seen in Theaters. The disc is capable, but 2D is just as boss and doesn't make the film lack. Do it, and if you don't like it... man I don't know what it is you would like. Something starring Beyonce perhaps. Get 'er done...

Amazon.com: Dredd [3D Blu-ray/Blu-ray + Digital Copy + UltraViolet]: Lena Headey, Karl Urban, Olivia Thirlby, Domhall Gleeson, Santi Scinelli, Pete Travis: Movies & TV

[video=youtube;PifvRiHVSCY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PifvRiHVSCY[/video]

OST Intense here: 1 Hour | Dredd Intense Mix - YouTube

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I bought this BD but haven't watched it yet because I'd have to bypass my processor. No way I'm watching this through my TV speakers.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I bought this BD but haven't watched it yet because I'd have to bypass my processor. No way I'm watching this through my TV speakers.
Why? You have some 'splaining to do Lucy :)

I redboxed this one for tonight.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I couldn't make it more than 30 minutes in.
Yeah, I am not sure what the draw is to remake movies that weren't really that good the first time (means they are out of ideas), but occasionally I do just want to watch stuff blow up :D Reviews gave the BD good marks for an action flick though.

T

Trev

Audioholic
Yeah, I am not sure what the draw is to remake movies that weren't really that good the first time (means they are out of ideas), but occasionally I do just want to watch stuff blow up :D Reviews gave the BD good marks for an action flick though.
Well, it's really not a remake... to be fair. It's not Stallone. It's not Rico. It's not Rob Schneider - not the same story or chapter, just the same main character and original setting. Kind of like how many Dracula movies have there been? It's always a dude from Transylvania in a world where vampires exist.

This is Dredd... true to the comic. Punisher War Zone was a far cry from any miserable excuse for a Punisher movie before it, and I'm massively grateful that they made it, even if it didn't get as much traction as one would've hoped. I can't fathom any reasons that someone couldn't 'make it through' this movie, unless it was just too violent or someone didn't like the genre. Dystopian action is particular.

J

jay21112

Audioholic
+1. Became of one my favorite movies as well, and added to the "I need to own " list.
Also mastered in 11 speaker surround sound for anyone that has it (not me).

PS: This movie was not a remake of Stallone's Judge Dredd, but it was definitely a remake of The Raid...just with Judge Dredd instead of Korean Karate Guy. :)

Matt34

Matt34

I can't decide what was worse, this or the newest Resident Evil.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Watched it last night and I was surprised that Rebox actually had the 3D disc when I popped it in the player (I guess there is only one version out?). IMHO, it was definitely worth a rental just for the audio; it is PHENOMENAL on this disc. Right up there with the best of them. The movie itself? Better than the Stalone movie, better than Total Recall 2012, and better than Resident Evil: Retribution. I had fun watching it, but would call it somewhat standard action flick fare. Story: highly predictable cookie cutter (not like I expected much). Acting: it's an action flick LOL. Visuals: this is another spot where it redeemed itself. The 3D effect was not among the best I've seen, but they did have a few really cool scenes. Overall the movie was grainy and oversaturated a lot of the time, some of that by design for sure. The violence was WAY OVER the top and they had some pretty interesting shots, especially in 3D. It doesn't bother me, and the digital effects were rather well done, but it may not be everyone's taste (this is not really one for young kids). I agree on MaMa being a no BS villain, and that's the best kind IMO.

Not so intensely :) , I'll recommend this one as well.

PS: This movie was not a remake of Stallone's Judge Dredd, but it was definitely a remake of The Raid...just with Judge Dredd instead of Korean Karate Guy. :)
Then they should have used something else other than Dredd as the hook to get people to come see it, and even still I don't even recall noticing this in theaters. The whole Dredd thing added little if anything to film. Take the stupid helmet off and it could be anything.

Anderson: Sir, helmets interfere with my psychic abilities.
Dredd: I think a bullet in the head might interfere with them more.

Last edited:
darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Why? You have some 'splaining to do Lucy :)

I redboxed this one for tonight.
For the 3D. The Hifi Digest review said the 3D was great and called it the best comic movie adaptation ever. I'm dying to see it. I just want to watch it in 3D.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
, but it was definitely a remake of The Raid...just with Judge Dredd instead of Korean Karate Guy. :)
Actually The Raid ripped off Dredd. The people that made The Raid got a leaked copy of the script and made their own movie, slightly different, before Dredd came out.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Actually The Raid ripped off Dredd. The people that made The Raid got a leaked copy of the script and made their own movie, slightly different, before Dredd came out.
Zero surprises there LOL. Not to mention that whole "Best action movie in decades" BS on the cover. Yeah, never heard that about a korean movie before

The quality of the 3D was good, it was the PQ that wasn't always good. You know that whole "CSI" look (that I hate), where they use colored lights and a stylized look for absolutely no reason in most cases, well that's kind of how this one is.

Last edited:
darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Zero surprises there LOL. Not to mention that whole "Best action movie in decades" BS on the cover. Yeah, never heard that about a korean movie before :rolleyes:
Actually The Raid was pretty good. The characters were obviously real-life martial artists and not just actors trying to look the part. The main cop was a serious bad-***, great CQ and knife skills. The only thing I didn't like about it was that some of the fights went on WAY too long. No way you could keep fighting after taking that much damage. A fun movie nonetheless.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I saw that it was rated 7.6, which is actually about the same as Dredd :) Dredd was 4.5/5 on Blu-ray.com

J

jay21112

Audioholic
Actually The Raid was pretty good. The characters were obviously real-life martial artists and not just actors trying to look the part. The main cop was a serious bad-***, great CQ and knife skills. The only thing I didn't like about it was that some of the fights went on WAY too long. No way you could keep fighting after taking that much damage. A fun movie nonetheless.
When the two brothers fought the one guy, and the fight was like 10 minutes long, my girlfriend was like: "There is too much kung-fu in this movie." And she left. I just kept watching, loving it.

But that's interesting. I didn't know that they actually copied Dredd. Both were really good movies, and although the same story, different enough to both be enjoyed.

But since this thread is about Dredd, let me say my favorite part was when they threw the gas grenade on the stairs and proceeded up the stairs....that was bad as *** can get. The Gattling gun seen was pretty cool too...

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I may have to check it out. I'm not sure if it can match the audio of a master and commander, but it's worth a go I suppose.

K

kleinwl

Audioholic
Dredd

I liked the ending, as Dredd walked out of the building.
Dredd: "Drug Bust"
Chief Judge: "Looks like you've been through it"
Dredd: "Perps were uncooperative"

It just says, no matter how crazy the action was, this was just another day at the office for Dredd... now how f'ed up does that city have to be...

Earilier
Dredd "over 15,000 serious crimes committed every day, we can respond to 6% of the time".

Gives you a picture in the life of the city.

Of course the music track was great! The action was good, no superhero bs... just like how like untrained "wannabees" get hammered by trained killers.

Btw see this guys "Dirty Laundry" on you tube. It is a punisher short... with the actual punisher actor and good action.

T

Trev

Audioholic
I really hope enough people will buy and support it for them to make another. While Dredd has always been one of my favorites, his nemesis DEATH... is my all time favorite comic book character.

For those that don't know... death was a judge, from another planet. Something messed him up and gave him the ability to ghost and possess. His body is dead... armor made of chicken bones and left over parts.

He sees all of mankind and life as sin and crime. "The crime is life.... the sentence is DEATH!"

Anderson the chick, from the Dredd film, and the comics... goes up against death with dredd, and half of the other judges. They riddle him full of bullets and Anderson takes death in to possess her. In the end, she's the only thing containing him, and Dredd puts her in a living coffin with Death trapped in her head... saying... "she knew what she was doing"... and kicks the casket back into the wall like a morgue tray.

There needs to be another film.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis