B&W 802D: 3rd Time's a Charm on Friday the 13th

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would have told these " delivery" (goons) boys to take both speakers back. Keeping one will not do you any good as these speakers have been utilized in the store for god knows how long. I'd get my money back, go home have a few bottles of wine/beer/hard liquor and listen to the music on my current SPEAKERS and think about it all over again. This could be a omen for you to make a choice.
They tried really hard to cconvince me to keep BOTH speakers! The nerve! But I told them, "I don't want them at all. Take them both back!"

I will tell them today that the only resolution I would accept is a new pair of 802D. I will absolutely not accept this pair of 802D in light of this fiasco. No way in hell.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I.... guess this disproves the notion that diamonds are forever...

Seriously though that's a brutal turn of events. Good luck.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I.... guess this disproves the notion that diamonds are forever...

Seriously though that's a brutal turn of events. Good luck.
Yesterday was not a good day for me.

First, I received a phone call from my mother informing me that my uncle (her oldest brother) in Texas just pasted away. :(

I left work an hour early anticipating the 802D.

Then when I got home, one of the garage doors' double spring broke! I had to call the overhead door guys. Replacing the 2 springs set me back $200. :mad:

Then the delivery idiots broke the 802D.:mad:

Will call dealer in 30 minutes.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
B&W and you we're never meant to be...THIS would have never happened to Peng...jk:D. Sorry to hear about this mishap but how difficult a task can it be to delivery a set of speakers....idiots...IMO....:mad:

Good luck getting this sorted out.....:)

S

saeyedoc

Junior Audioholic
Bad things come in 3s, looks like you got all 3 out of the way yesterday.
Sorry to hear about your speakers, luckily you have backups.
What's the difference with the D2s? Newer model, more expensive?

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I hope you noted the serials of the speakers that were originally delivered so you don't get them again with a replaced tweeter. Bad news all around though...that sucks. When my garage spring broke I thought somebody had shot a cannon cuz it was so damn loud!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I hope you noted the serials of the speakers that were originally delivered so you don't get them again with a replaced tweeter. Bad news all around though...that sucks. When my garage spring broke I thought somebody had shot a cannon cuz it was so damn loud!
Yep. Serial was written on sales receipt.

Just called dealer. Secretary says owner is out of town. Supervisor is at another site, but will call me back. Will see.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Bad things come in 3s, looks like you got all 3 out of the way yesterday.
Sorry to hear about your speakers, luckily you have backups.
What's the difference with the D2s? Newer model, more expensive?
Different magnetic structures. Little more money. Measures the same as old (800D2 vs 802D1 Stereophile) .

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Just called dealer. Secretary says owner is out of town. Supervisor is at another site...
I'm imagining an abandoned warehouse somewhere, with the two delivery guys tied up in chairs, the owner asking questions like "what would you do in my position?", and the supervisor in the background with a baseball bat.

Huh. Maybe TV violence really does influence my thinking... :eek: :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm imagining an abandoned warehouse somewhere, with the two delivery guys tied up in chairs, the owner asking questions like "what would you do in my position?", and the supervisor in the background with a baseball bat.

Huh. Maybe TV violence really does influence my thinking... :eek: :D
O....................K............... :eek: :D

Anyways, just spoke to supervisor on phone. He said "New Diamond tweeter will sound even better!" :eek:

I said, "OK, new tweeter would mean tuning the crossovers!"

He said, "No, we do this ALL the time!" :eek:

Owner is out of town. Will be back Monday.

I told him clearly: I will not accept these speakers. Either get me a brand new pair of 802D or refund the $10K.

So will know more on Monday.

Man, what a crappy ending to a week.!

Everything and everyone breaking up around me! :(

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I told him clearly: I will not accept these speakers. Either get me a brand new pair of 802D or refund the $10K.
Agree do not settle for anything else, me I would take my $10k.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
He said, "No, we do this ALL the time!" :eek:
Certainly begs the question, "Ummm...why's that? :confused:" I'd think that $10k speakers wouldn't need to have drivers replaced so frequently that it's part of the usual business for dealers. Maybe I'm just thinking about it wrong.

Dennis' passing is tragic and permanent. This issue with the speakers, though, is just a transient. I don't say that to belittle your feelings - not at all. Just trying to cheer you up a bit about them. I'd be really disappointed, too, but it won't be very long before it's resolved.

Also, I think that you said that you really wanted to own a pair of those, and that they'd be the last expensive pair of speakers that you ever bought. Well, technically, you did own them ;) (goal achieved)...and now you can't buy any more expensive speakers. :p So, for your sake, I hope that they don't just give the money back. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Certainly begs the question, "Ummm...why's that? :confused:" I'd think that $10k speakers wouldn't need to have drivers replaced so frequently that it's part of the usual business for dealers. Maybe I'm just thinking about it wrong.

Dennis' passing is tragic and permanent. This issue with the speakers, though, is just a transient. I don't say that to belittle your feelings - not at all. Just trying to cheer you up a bit about them. I'd be really disappointed, too, but it won't be very long before it's resolved.

Also, I think that you said that you really wanted to own a pair of those, and that they'd be the last expensive pair of speakers that you ever bought. Well, technically, you did own them ;) (goal achieved)...and now you can't buy any more expensive speakers. :p So, for your sake, I hope that they don't just give the money back. :D
Can't believe Dennis DPS is gone. I just spoke to him a few days ago about the 802D.

But yeah, I hope the owner will get me a new pair of 802D.

If not, I may just take the money and get a used 802N Rosewood for around $4-5K. I should have bought a pair 3 weeks ago for only $3.5K. I chose poorly passing up that deal.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I may just take the money and get a used 802N Rosewood for around $4-5K. I should have bought a pair 3 weeks ago for only $3.5K. I chose poorly passing up that deal.
Not IMO. B&W has come a long way since the N-series. I don't think they'd measure up to your more recent speakers, and you'd be sorry later. Big speakers are also a PITA to re-sell. The market isn't all that big for used heavyweights, and they're a pain to ship.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Not IMO. B&W has come a long way since the N-series. I don't think they'd measure up to your more recent speakers, and you'd be sorry later. Big speakers are also a PITA to re-sell. The market isn't all that big for used heavyweights, and they're a pain to ship.
I just thought having a diamond tweeter would be cool. :D

I think the 802D can sound great. But I don't think the 802D will surpass the Salon2/ Studio2, KEF Reference, Orion, or Phil2/3 in terms of SQ.

I can see people saying the 802D can "match" the SQ of the other speakers, but not surpass.

The diamond tweeter is cool......as long as it doesn't break. :eek:

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
The diamond tweeter is cool......as long as it doesn't break. :eek:
Be careful with your Be tweeters in the Revels too. I've read they are very expensive to replace (I can't remember the number I read), and just as delicate as the diamond variety.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Be careful with your Be tweeters in the Revels too. I've read they are very expensive to replace (I can't remember the number I read), and just as delicate as the diamond variety.
Yeah, I'll keep those guys away from my speakers. 10ft minimum. :eek:

The aftermarket beryllium tweeter costs about $500 each. Whereas the aftermarket diamond tweeter costs $2,000 - $3,000.

Don't know how much Ultima2 Beryllium tweeters cost.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Are CVD Diamonds more brittle/ fragile than beryllium, magnesium, and aluminum tweeters?

The cheapest aftermarket diamond tweeter from Jantzen costs $2K each. The other Accuton diamond costs $3K each. The beryllium tweeter cost about $500 each.

It sucks if something that costs as much as 20 or more times as an aluminum tweeter could be more brittle. :eek:

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Are CVD Diamonds more brittle/ fragile than beryllium, magnesium, and aluminum tweeters?
Diamond is much harder than those metals, but it has a lower fracture toughness. Metals tend to deform, while crystals like diamond tend to fracture.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis