B&W 802D: 3rd Time's a Charm on Friday the 13th

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Sounds like marketing to me.

That's the sensitivity, but you have to subtract about ~3db because they are a 4 ohm speaker to get the efficiency (which has more to do with heat buildup etc)
I don't know about the 363 but when I compared my 362 side by side with my Veritas 2.3i I found the 362 much louder, at least 3dB louder. To me they are very easy to drive but again may be the 363ès are different, though they look the same.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Shattered

I'm so, so, so upset. :mad: :mad:

My luck. Again! :mad:

So the 2 delivery guys came today. As they unpacked one of the 802D, they somehow managed to dropped the speaker and shattered the Diamond tweeter! :eek:

So I was pissed. I told them they can take these 802D back to the dealer and I'll think about what to do next.

These are the last 802D1 available (at least the new one, not used).

So pissed right now. :mad:

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic

So the 2 delivery guys came today. As they unpacked one of the 802D, they somehow managed to dropped the speaker and shattered the Diamond tweeter! :eek:

So I was pissed. I told them they can take these 802D back to the dealer and I'll think about what to do next.

I thought diamonds are supposed to be one of the hardest natural materials? How the hell did they manage to drop it?

Sorry to hear that happened. :(

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

Smart move to make them take both speakers back. If you'd kept one, they'd probably be pretty casual about making things right. As is, they're gonna be willing to jump through some hoops to make the sale happen.

Good luck - hope you end up with a quick and agreeable resolution!:)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Dang. I feel your pain. At least they dropped it and not you;) And, good move to send both back as 1 is useless. Perhaps it's an omen?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
On the one hand, I feel terrible for you. That is truly awful to come that close and have something like that happen. Not to mention spend that much money and have things go so badly. I'm sure this will work itself out and you'll end up with a pair of these speakers very soon.

On the other hand, and I don't mean to be insensitive, this is a compelling twist in the your story and helps extend this very interesting story a bit longer. If this was a TV show, we've just wrapped up the season and the finale was devastating but sure to bring back the viewers.

If this was a movie, we've cleared the hump and are now working towards a resolution, both literally and figuratively.

Hope this gets settled up soon bro montana.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, guys.

Of course, they always say, "In 20 years, this has never happened!" :eek:

I will ask the owner for a brand new pair of 802D2 since no else would have a brand new pair of 802D1 anymore.

See what happens. No way I'm waiting for a replacement tweeter.

The delivery guys tried hard to convince me to keep both speakers, saying they would just get a replacement tweeter. :eek:

As if I were born yesterday. :eek:

Full refund or another brand new pair.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
The delivery guys tried hard to convince me to keep both speakers, saying they would just get a replacement tweeter. :eek:

As if I were born yesterday. :eek:

Full refund or another brand new pair.
IMO, good choice. From the B&W web site:

Even the greatest performers need auditions, and the 800 Series Diamond is no exception. Once a speaker has been assembled we subject it to the toughest tests imaginable, scrutinising every aspect of its endurance and performance under a range of conditions.
I don't know exactly what B&W does, but I know that some manufacturers measure each speaker against a reference, and tune the crossover as necessary to compensate for variances in the drivers. If you got a replacement tweeter, might the system have less precisely defined performance? I wouldn't chance it. Not at that price.

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic

Dang. Sorry to hear that. I'd hold out for the D2's as well. Good thinking to send both back. I doubt if someone else could replace just the tweeter and have it sound as good as when B&W tested it in their factory. Good luck and hope it gets resolved soon.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you got a replacement tweeter, might the system have less precisely defined performance? I wouldn't chance it. Not at that price.
Exactly my fear.

Also, since the speaker hit the floor hard enough to break the tweeter, what else internally is damaged? :eek:

So I will call tomorrow and give them the option of giving me a full refund or another brand new pair of 802.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Well, I hope you can get by listening to your old speakers for another week or two!:rolleyes::p:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, I hope you can get by listening to your old speakers for another week or two!:rolleyes::p:D
Yeah. Am I totally bad luck or what? Or a blessing in disguise?

If they let me have the 802D2, it would be a blessing in disguise. If they don't, it's bad luck. :eek:

And the soap opera continues.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I stop reading for a couple of days, and what a story. First, so happy that you decided to get them :D...followed by so sad that they dropped them. :(

Holy ish...I know that accidents happen, but wow. You'd think that speakers of that price would be delivered with an exceptional amount of care. Sure, I had to bring my B&W sub home in a car...and I lived less than a mile from the dealer...but my dealer was an a**monkey.

Again, sorry that happened, man. I hope that it all works out and that you're happy.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I also have to admit, I think the 802D2s are such an improvement over the 802D1s that this might not be such a bad thing after all.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
But a soap opera that has enough viewers to rival prime time :D

You'd win a daytime emmy for sure if this was on TV:p;):D
Well, the dealer won't open until 10 o'clock. So today I will see what happens.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I also have to admit, I think the 802D2s are such an improvement over the 802D1s that this might not be such a bad thing after all.
It could be a blessing in disguise for me. Could very well be.

I will certainly aim for the 802D2 now.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I would have told these " delivery" (goons) boys to take both speakers back. Keeping one will not do you any good as these speakers have been utilized in the store for god knows how long. I'd get my money back, go home have a few bottles of wine/beer/hard liquor and listen to the music on my current SPEAKERS and think about it all over again. This could be a omen for you to make a choice.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis