Emotiva XPR-5 Five-Channel Reference Power Amplifier Preview

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Answer:
it's perfectly normal as long as you can't hear the hiss from where you sit.
Seems reminiscent of my "see if the we can just make the customer go away" service that I got. I can't hear any hiss from mine, which is great. No complaints on that end. Unfortunately, I can hear the hum from the transformers from where I sit, including in standby mode. So, I turn them off/on by hand. When I contacted them about it, their customer service was able to provide a dead silence that their products never could. :rolleyes: Service was awesome until they got my money, then my e-mail somehow got into their spam filter. No, really - I'm serious. At least, that's what they said. Then they'd say that they'd call back (more than once), but didn't.

Okay, I've probably vented a bit past the level of cool for a product review thread. Sorry.

So, to compensate - I think that the amps are built well (except for the transformers), look nice, have a good fit and finish, and have good acoustic performance (again, except for the transformers). Mine are from 2007, so hopefully the company had matured and improved their after-sale service.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Is there a "synergy" pairing between Emotiva and primitive 1st order crossovers that I don't know about? :eek:

Is there any synergy with Emotiva and more advanced up-to-date 4th order crossovers in the Salon2, KEF 207/2, Linkwitz Orion, and Soundscape12?

BTW, when I get 3 more Salon2, the Emotiva is right up there at the top of my list since it has such a low noise floor and I like that hissing noise coming out of my Salon2.
Hey ADTG, I bet you can trace your ancestory back to Transylvania, you remind me of a friend of mine (Bela Lagosi) who had an insatiable appetite for blood...what a Fanger you are......I love it..:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hey ADTG, I bet you can trace your ancestory back to Transylvania, you remind me of a friend of mine (Bela Lagosi) who had an insatiable appetite for blood...what a Fanger you are......I love it..:D
Well, perhaps I should not disagree too loudly. :D Emotiva has a big following. I did say the $800 XPA-5 is a great value for folks who like the aesthetics.

I wonder how much the XP-R monoblock version costs. Can't wait to find out. :D

J

jdskycaster

Enthusiast
Well, all I know is, that MPS-2 ain't silent. There is speaker hiss if you listen to it. At least as loud as the noise floor of the Crown XLS2500. Now, does this noise floor adversely affect the sound quality?

If you think amps sound differently and 400wpc amp sound better, than you might as well believe this speaker hiss noise floor adversely affect sound quality. :D
Is this an MPS-2 thread or XPR-5?

11K posts - 2.5k thanks = 8.5k useless posts. How can someone try so hard to be a literal a$$ in only 2 pages of a thread?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan

11K posts - 2.5k thanks = 8.5k useless posts. How can someone try so hard to be a literal a$$ in only 2 pages of a thread?
ADTG is one of our best members. We all occasionally get a little riled up over nothing, but your judgment is incorrect.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi

So if a post isn't thanked, then it's useless? If so, you're moving on 100%. :D

Just messing with you. :)

J

jdskycaster

Enthusiast
ADTG is one of our best members. We all occasionally get a little riled up over nothing, but your judgment is incorrect.
I guess I should go back and re-read those posts again in order to find something that I must have obviously missed the first time:rolleyes:

J

jdskycaster

Enthusiast
Adam,
A hearty thanks upon you fine sir for having a sense of humor. :)

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I guess I should go back and re-read those posts again in order to find something that I must have obviously missed the first time:rolleyes:
Actually, I'd recommend going to Kmart and buying yourself a quart of maturity. Great introduction to this forum, a personal attack against a long-time contributor.

J

jdskycaster

Enthusiast
Irv,
No offense but did you actually read each of those posts or just my 6? I may only be a lurker and not a poster over the past six years but even I was unwilling to issue a pass on those.

For the record I do not currently own any Emotiva amp and have no idea how the XPR-5 performs. I was only interested in the preview and unfortunately moved on through some of the replies.

JD

A

Ableza

Audiophyte
I'm new around here, but can't believe how many negative comments are in this thread from people who have no experience with this amp. How about basing comments on knowledge rather than on ignorant opinion based on (what>) nothing. I hope this is not an indication of the input quality on the Audioholics forums in general...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm new around here, but can't believe how many negative comments are in this thread from people who have no experience with this amp. How about basing comments on knowledge rather than on ignorant opinion based on (what>) nothing. I hope this is not an indication of the input quality on the Audioholics forums in general...
Welcome to the forum!

Are you in as much disbelief of positive comments from people with no experience? Just asking. There won't be many with actual experience with this amp. Discussions about a product like this in general can be valuable, though. Besides, you should approach everything that you read critically, be it a review or comments in a forum. It's mostly opinion, and only the reader can decide if a product might fit their own personal needs/desires.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Irv,
No offense but did you actually read each of those posts or just my 6? I may only be a lurker and not a poster over the past six years but even I was unwilling to issue a pass on those.

JD
Of course I read all of the posts. If you read a lot of the posts on this forum what you'll find is that occasionally some very high-value members post some things that in retrospect are not indicative of their value, but if you look at the big picture they are key factors in making this forum a cool place to hang out. I get pissed off myself sometimes. I'm also sure I cross lines I shouldn't sometimes. The point is to give people the benefit of the doubt before the attacks begin. That's all I'm, perhaps clumsily, trying to say. Especially when you're the new kid in town. Been there, done that.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Geez, can't we disagree without harassment ?:eek:

It started out with someone calling me "ill-informed".

And it ended with someone calling me "useless" and an "a$$". :eek:

I better go listen to my Salon2 and calm down before going to bed. :D

Good thing I had a great day at work at the hospital, great family to go home to go, and some great speakers and gears to listen to and watch.

And I'm off work tomorrow. Yes. :cool:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Very good points but Emo is planning a mono block version of this amp and I am strongly considering using it in the long term to run these new speakers.

I wish EMO would come up with analog VU meters for these babies. I'm not a big fan of the blinking LEDs, but I am sure some folks dig em.
That is the one and only thing I don't like about my XPA-3. Though the LED power/logo button is cool and all, it is EXTREMELY bright. I cover it up, because it is actually a bit distracting while using the system. Bouncing LEDs on that front display will be OK as long as the brightness can be controlled or turned off.

I was going to ask if they were going to release other versions of this as well, like a 2ch, 3ch, etc.... so if there is at least a mono, then hopefully a lineup like the X-series?

M

MosesMalone

Enthusiast
I'm a long time lurker but just decided to register to post in this thread, which is obviously chock-full of brand-bias. Note that I don't currently have a horse in the race as I don't own any brands of power amplifier. I've been researching for several months, trying to find the best one to suit my needs and budget (up to $2,000.) I'm planning on making my decision next week.

I've previously had the Outlaw 7500 as my prime candidate, that is until the XPR-5 came out, which seemed to provide objectively better specs for a similar price. The 7500 as i'm sure a lot of you know, is a product that is manufactured by ATI of California, the same company who makes amps for Mark Levinson, Lexicon, now B&K, and other big names. They are able to sell the 7500 for much less than their other brands because Outlaw Audio is an internet direct brand focused on providing similar quality performance for much less, without dealership mark-ups and other increases in margins like "THX certified" labels. Emotiva is a company that follows the same business model and is able to provide similar quality products for budget-friendly price tags. When I say similar quality, let's review the spec details of comparatively priced products from both brands. Note: I borrowed the following idea from user ss9001, but modified it to compare the 7500 to the newly introduced XPR-5.

Price:
Outlaw 7500 - $1,599 + typically $50-70 shipping, on sale: N/A (not sure if it's been on sale in the past)
Emotiva XPR-5 - $1,999, on sale: 1799.10

Power output:
Outlaw 7500 - 200 watts x 5 @ 8 ohms, 300 watts x 5 @ 4 ohms
Emotiva XPR-5 - 400 watts x 5 @ 8 ohms, 600 watts x 5 @ 4 ohms

Signal to Noise Ratio:
Outlaw 7500 - >120dB below rated FTC full bandwidth power
Emotiva XPR-5 - > 93 dB at 1 watt, > 109 dB at rated power.

Power transistor output devices per channel:
Outlaw 7500 - 12
Emotiva XPR-5 - 12

Total Capacitor Capacity:
Outlaw 7500 - 150,000 mf
Emotiva XPR-5 - 180,000 mf

Power Transformer (Power Supply) Capacity:
Outlaw 7500 - 2 X 1.6 kVA (3200 kVA) torroidal with independent windings per channel
Emotiva XPR-5 - 1 X 3.3 kVA

Origin:
Outlaw 7500 - Made in America (I believe? Although i'm willing to bet that the components are sourced from China)
Emotiva XPR-5 - Made in China

So obviously both are comparable, with the Emotiva edging out the Outlaw in several categories and the Outlaw winning in others. The point is, I rarely see Outlaw being so regularly and heavily bashed, but the mere mention of the name Emotiva always tends to bring a riot of posters with torches, ready to set flame to the thread. The fact that a praise filled "preview" of a product from a venerable internet name like Audioholics has managed to generate this much backlash in such a short period of time, shows that a lot of posters just naturally and instinctively sway to their side of the fence.

Now 2 questions:

1. For under $2,000 and with accompanying warranty, what other multi-channel amps should I be looking at? Also, what makes these amps better than the XPR-5? I have moderately hard to drive, 4ohms, 85dB speakers in a large space.

2. Objectively -- because i'm sure hardly anyone here has heard one of these for themselves -- can somebody please tell me why the Emotiva would be a bad buy? I really want to know, because all i've gathered so far from naysayers is that they make chinese built devices with cheesy blue lights and that they have an annoying following of fanboys.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis