Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Ah well you wouldn't know even if you had, I don't think anyways. Maybe I told everyone on this thread, but I'm pretty sure my admission of purchase was on the AVS thread only. Who knows :D

Anyways I got the Phil 3, lightly stained maple, brown grills, and I also had Del make me a removable solid back for the upper cabinet because I was interested in experimenting with how the sound changes if you turn the Phil into a more traditional design.

So I basically got both, an open back design and a more traditional speaker all for $50 bucks :)

If nothing else the extra solid back will give my GF something to hit me over the head with when she sees them :eek:

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Haha, not always but I sure try. I'm hoping that these will keep me occupied for the next 30 years (fat chance :D), but at least I'll be able to turn my attention to the rest of my system. Next on the agenda is subwoofers, then a center channel, and then I'll diddle with surrounds.

I'd really like to build the subwoofers and depending and depending how that goes I'll either build one using Selah audio design (to stay with the RAAL tweeter) or possibly go with a Salk center, maybe if one surfaces on their used thread.

Anyways, thats my speaker life story :D Maybe I'll help keep you occupied for awhile while I sort all of this mess out.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
The on axis looks better than the graph posted on the website and the 40 degree off axis looks like it stays smoother across the FR range, albeit with a roll off that starts a bit earlier in the upper frequencies. Can't wait to see what they look like in house. You ever get that garaged cleaned out? :p Will there be a pic of you hugging them? :D

Victors, curious I don't see the distinction ;) I've always felt like the victors were always the ones who were curious enough to explore and adapt, and you know what they say about that. Adapt or die. :)

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
The on axis looks better than the graph posted on the website and the 40 degree off axis looks like it stays smoother across the FR range, albeit with a roll off that starts a bit earlier in the upper frequencies.
Yup. I am very happy with the measurments! Even better than what I expected.

Can't wait to see what they look like in house. You ever get that garaged cleaned out? :p Will there be a pic of you hugging them? :D
Unfortunately, I have yet to get power to the damn thing. I did, however, get a tiny junk-filled 10 X 13 X 8 (H) room cleaned out.

There will not. There will be a picture of me weeping with joy, however. :D

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
So, I just now realized that GranteedEV and Eternal Velocity are the same damn person. However, I did not realize this before sending GranteedEV a message asking him if he knows Eternal Velocity.

I actually said, "You remind me a lot of Eternal Velocity..."

:eek: :FACEPALM: :FACEPALM: :FACEPALM: :FACEPALM: :FACEPALM:
That explains a lot...

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
THE SHIPPING ESCAPADE CONTINUES....

My Phils are now in Chino, CA. 1 hour from me (Chatsworth, CA) via car. Unless the FedEx truck explodes, they will be here tomorrow!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis