Really Boring Stuff Only II: Return of the Boredom

Status
Not open for further replies.
haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Can your parents not carry the insurance and have you as a part time driver? Can you title a car that young in Canada? You can't here in the US if I remember correctly. I haven't been 16 in a long time.

Money aside, a car is far more practical. Get a car, man. Cost of ownership is less on a bike for a lot of reasons. They won't do near what a car will do. Good luck breaking in the backseat of a motorcycle outside the tasty freeze on a Saturday night.
Ha ha ha, I like this: I haven't been 16 in a long time.

Craig..... Think "out of the box" the solution is there if you think differently, I'm sure....

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
.if you haven't looked it up i recommend you do because the ninja 250r's are considered pretty much the best starter bikes there are. i just dont see a car (a somewhat nice one) being a vey good idea since the insurance will be so much. keep in mind if i get a job pretty much ALL my money is gonna be going to gas and insurance. if i get the bike i at least have something nice to drive 3/5 of the year
A ninja 250 is a great starter bike. Take whatever available courses there are and then continue to learn how to ride, preferably from someone with good riding skills.

BTW, I live in Canada and my first vehicle was a motorcycle, got it just before I turned 16 and I've been riding ever since. I have no plans on ever giving it up cause it's just too much fun, despite the terrible insurance rates here but there are wasy around that. :)

Steve

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I think we have a spammer that's one of our own and knows the Adamic Order. :eek: :D

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
i could definatly get a car.... but then the gas and insurance would be crazy on a $5000 car. no matter what you drive, if your 16 in canada your gonna pay a few times what your car is worth on insurance every year. my friend pays $300/month for a jeep he spent $400 on.

now i could get a car for $1000 and it would be a piece of junk and then pay several times that on insurance or i could pay maybe even $3000 on a used ninja 250 and then only pay $3300 on insurance. and that $3000 would buy me a pretty nice looking bike that goes way faster than i could ever legally go in canada and would be dirt cheap on gas AND would be FUN..... cant leave that part out
Are you sure you aren't hung up on the perceived coolness of a bike, and ignoring the impractical side of it?
If you invest all of your money in a bike & insurance, what will you do when winter comes? It sucks riding in the rain too. I find it hard to believe you'll even get a solid six months of good riding weather a year up in the great white north.:confused:
Get a job and the rest will fall in place later.
I've been riding since I was 16. I started out first, with a job at 15.
Good Luck, and be safe out there.

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
It doesn't get as cold here as you would think.... I saw lots of people on bikes yesterday. Although around this time of year we still get rain pretty often. I also have a friend who has a ninja 250 as her only vehicle or whatever and she loves it

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
It doesn't get as cold here as you would think.... I saw lots of people on bikes yesterday. Although around this time of year we still get rain pretty often. I also have a friend who has a ninja 250 as her only vehicle or whatever and she loves it
How is car insurance so expensive? I'd find some other means of getting places until it was reasonable. If you plan to attend college you won't need this vehicle at most places. Meanwhile break out the snow shovel and start hitting up the neighborhood offering your services.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Now we are getting down to the nitty gritty...:D

Sorry. My first vehical on the road was a Yamaha 360 enduro. Fast as h.ll 0-75mph. Not much left after that. At 90 it felt like it was going to fly appart.
It was fun while I was in HS. Once I got a job a car was needed. A bike just isn't reliable transportation year round. Most employers around here asked, "How will you get to work each day?" A motorcycle was not a poppular answer for them.

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
How is car insurance so expensive? I'd find some other means of getting places until it was reasonable. If you plan to attend college you won't need this vehicle at most places. Meanwhile break out the snow shovel and start hitting up the neighborhood offering your services.
If I get my g1 for a car then I'm a new and inexperienced driver so they think I'm a dumba$$ who's gonna get in a crash every chance I get. It's the same for a bike but not quite as bad for some reason... By the way THERE IS NO SNOW. hasn't been for weeks. Was barely any this year. I had to shovel my driveway TWICE.
Also if I do good on a bike for a while I'm sure it will work in my favour when I do get a car since the insurance company will see than im not a total noob...

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
i could definatly get a car.... but then the gas and insurance would be crazy on a $5000 car. no matter what you drive, if your 16 in canada your gonna pay a few times what your car is worth on insurance every year. my friend pays $300/month for a jeep he spent $400 on.

now i could get a car for $1000 and it would be a piece of junk and then pay several times that on insurance or i could pay maybe even $3000 on a used ninja 250 and then only pay $3300 on insurance. and that $3000 would buy me a pretty nice looking bike that goes way faster than i could ever legally go in canada and would be dirt cheap on gas AND would be FUN..... cant leave that part out
bikes are dangerous and its a well known fact. they will kill you if you arent educated and wearing the right gear (see image)

i intend on taking a motorcycle safety course and buying proper safety gear.
if i get a g1 (for a car) i can only drive Class G vehicles when accompanied by a fully licensed driver with at least four years of driving experience (my mom or dad)... that doesn't really work because my parents are rarely home when i am. with an m1 licence i can ride during the day, cant go on highways, no alcohol in my system and no passesgers. very few restrictions :)
.if you haven't looked it up i recommend you do because the ninja 250r's are considered pretty much the best starter bikes there are. i just dont see a car (a somewhat nice one) being a vey good idea since the insurance will be so much. keep in mind if i get a job pretty much ALL my money is gonna be going to gas and insurance. if i get the bike i at least have something nice to drive 3/5 of the year
If you're determined to get something with two wheels and a motor, how about a scooter?:D They'll use even less gas than a motorcycle and I'll bet the insurance rates will be lower. Of course, the "cool factor" will take a nose dive - but if you have any confidence in your manhood, that shouldn't matter. ;)

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan

That's because you're having a mild spell up there. You could still have a blizzard there before spring hits. Easter snowstorms are not unheard of.;)

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
If you're determined to get something with two wheels and a motor, how about a scooter?:D They'll use even less gas than a motorcycle and I'll bet the insurance rates will be lower. Of course, the "cool factor" will take a nose dive - but if you have any confidence in your manhood, that shouldn't matter. ;)
OMG no :eek: .... he's a young kid with his whole life in front of him.

Steve

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
A scooter won't get me 28km to school in a reasonable amount of time.... And the cool factor matters no matter what...
I don't get why everyone (except avnetguy:)) is so against it. Like it doesn't have to be the worlds most practical and reliable vehicle... Im 16.. I can take the bus in the winter... Like it or not I know a ninja 250 is gonna be fun and that's important too. In a year and a half (if I'm lucky) when I'm done school I can get something more practical but for now I want something that can get me where I want to go (if the weather is good) and will also be fun. No s*** a car is more reliable than bike but for less than $25000 they aren't any fun. Im 16... Fun matters. I feel like I'm arguing with my parents here... Except my mom likes the idea as long as I get good grades. My dads a biker so I'm sure he wouldn't mind if we had something in common for once.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
OMG no :eek: .... he's a young kid with his whole life in front of him.

Steve
Ignore that Craig. He's just teasing.

If it was me, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the scooter option. Honest. I mean it.

OK, no I don't mean it. :eek: But, I'm sure it would work for you. Scooters are chick magnets.:D

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
"Hey Babe. Need a lift? Hop on my... uhm... scooter."
He'll be known as Scooter-boy for years. Several girls will need resuscitation after laughing for 3 straight days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis