Really Boring Stuff Only II: Return of the Boredom

Status
Not open for further replies.
STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
my dads bike insurance is $500 a year, he's only been in 2 accidents in the last 4 years (both times involved dogs.... they're fine though). CARS are EXPENSIVE!!! i could buy a neon for $300 and i would pay around $300 a month on insurance. now for a (somewhat) nice car (maybe a 03 sebring) it would be maybe $500/month and then i have to add gas on top of that. with a bike i pay 5k, $3200/year (found a better deal) on insurance, and then alot less gas than a car. in canada your first motorized vehicle is HELL and they make it that way.
also 2009 ninja 250r's sell for about $4900-$4500 so they dont lose value very quick. i dont see any way of owning a car at 16 in canada without your parents paying for most of it....... and the graduated license system sucks.
Just ride Bruce.:p

I don't know the area you live in but a commuter bicycle is a very cost effective and healthy mode of transportation. Weather is a concern though...

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
Just ride Bruce.:p

I don't know the area you live in but a commuter bicycle is a very cost effective and healthy mode of transportation. Weather is a concern though...
a bicycle wont get me my to school 30km from home in less than 40 mins
and bicycles arent cool... Kawasaki ninjas are

Last edited:
C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
Only two accidents?

Have you got an answer for motorcycles and Canadian winter too?
we call them snowmoblies... seriously though it hasnt snowed much at all this year. it might be cold but you could ride a bike for a good portion of the winter and i can see myself doing that

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Geesh, guys. This is a family forum. Do we really need to talk about sex with...women? :eek: :D

(NTTAWWT.)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Btw, I think that was the quickest conversation transition from savory bacon to bloody junk that I've ever witnessed. Can't say for sure, though...

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
I just did some math... 60mph is almost 100kmh (Canadian highway speed) and a ninja can do 0-60 in 8 secs.. It's top speed about 160kmh (120mph). Personally I think those are great numbers. Faster than I could ever legally go. In theory if I didn't get caught I could maybe get to school in 20 mins

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
we call them snowmoblies... seriously though it hasnt snowed much at all this year. it might be cold but you could ride a bike for a good portion of the winter and i can see myself doing that
I rode motorcycles for many years. I sold my last bike about 4 years ago, because I just didn't have time to drive it anymore. Sure, you can ride year-round, as long as it doesn't snow and there's no ice. Plus, hitting patches of road salt is like hitting loose gravel - not fun. And, it still gets cold - snow, or no snow - and the windchill on a motorcycle can be just unbearable. Unless you wear a snowmobile suit. Then your "cool factor" goes from hero to zero. :p

A motorcycle as your sole mode of transport when you absolutely have to be somewhere isn't a practical choice. In Canada during the winter, I'd take the bus before riding a motorbike. It's good for 7-8 months of the year, but that's it. When people see a motorcyclist on the road in January, they don't say "he looks cool". They say, "that guys certifiably insane!".

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
My nipples got hard just thinking about driving a motorcycle year round. Even in a full faced helmet, once the temp gets below 40F, wind will find it's way to your eyes and make them water. Then the tears will freeze to your face. Does this bike have a windshield?

I drove motorcycles from 1969 till 2006. (That was one hell of a ride!) They are a lot of fun, but dangerous. Over the same time frame, (actually 1976 till 2012) I have been in 4 car accidents. None were my fault, but any one of them would have killed me had I been on a bike. I'm not saying that they are bad, but extra care needs to be taken. Even then, you don't have control over the other drivers on the road. On 2/17/12, some guy fell asleep at the wheel of his Camry and ran right into the back of my Subaru. I was just diving down the interstate at 65mph and WHAM!

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
It's a Kawasaki ninja... It has a windshield but it's not really meant to be used
And I'm not planning to drive it year round
I don't really see any other affordable means of personal transport

Last edited:
gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
It's a Kawasaki ninja... It has a windshield but it's not really meant to be used
And I'm not planning to drive it year round
I had one of those back in the 80's. A 900. Fasted bike I ever owned. Just be careful. We expect to see you posting here for decades to come.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
'go play in traffic'.
How is this bad advice? ;)

I think motorcycle riding is dumb for a kid too, but if he spends 5k on a bike when he could have gotten a good first car for it then he's wasting his money IMO. I honestly never think about the cold that's only a couple times a year around these parts.

Why not get a car that has a name?

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
My nipples got hard just thinking about driving a motorcycle year round. Even in a full faced helmet, once the temp gets below 40F, wind will find it's way to your eyes and make them water. Then the tears will freeze to your face. Does this bike have a windshield?

I drove motorcycles from 1969 till 2006. (That was one hell of a ride!) They are a lot of fun, but dangerous. Over the same time frame, (actually 1976 till 2012) I have been in 4 car accidents. None were my fault, but any one of them would have killed me had I been on a bike. I'm not saying that they are bad, but extra care needs to be taken. Even then, you don't have control over the other drivers on the road. On 2/17/12, some guy fell asleep at the wheel of his Camry and ran right into the back of my Subaru. I was just diving down the interstate at 65mph and WHAM!
I only thanked this post cause he mentioned his nipples.

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
How is this bad advice? ;)

I think motorcycle riding is dumb for a kid too, but if he spends 5k on a bike when he could have gotten a good first car for it then he's wasting his money IMO. I honestly never think about the cold that's only a couple times a year around these parts.

Why not get a car that has a name?
i could definatly get a car.... but then the gas and insurance would be crazy on a $5000 car. no matter what you drive, if your 16 in canada your gonna pay a few times what your car is worth on insurance every year. my friend pays $300/month for a jeep he spent $400 on.

now i could get a car for $1000 and it would be a piece of junk and then pay several times that on insurance or i could pay maybe even $3000 on a used ninja 250 and then only pay $3300 on insurance. and that $3000 would buy me a pretty nice looking bike that goes way faster than i could ever legally go in canada and would be dirt cheap on gas AND would be FUN..... cant leave that part out
bikes are dangerous and its a well known fact. they will kill you if you arent educated and wearing the right gear (see image)

i intend on taking a motorcycle safety course and buying proper safety gear.
if i get a g1 (for a car) i can only drive Class G vehicles when accompanied by a fully licensed driver with at least four years of driving experience (my mom or dad)... that doesn't really work because my parents are rarely home when i am. with an m1 licence i can ride during the day, cant go on highways, no alcohol in my system and no passesgers. very few restrictions :)
.if you haven't looked it up i recommend you do because the ninja 250r's are considered pretty much the best starter bikes there are. i just dont see a car (a somewhat nice one) being a vey good idea since the insurance will be so much. keep in mind if i get a job pretty much ALL my money is gonna be going to gas and insurance. if i get the bike i at least have something nice to drive 3/5 of the year

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Can your parents not carry the insurance and have you as a part time driver? Can you title a car that young in Canada? You can't here in the US if I remember correctly. I haven't been 16 in a long time.

Money aside, a car is far more practical. Get a car, man. Cost of ownership is less on a bike for a lot of reasons. They won't do near what a car will do. Good luck breaking in the backseat of a motorcycle outside the tasty freeze on a Saturday night.

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
Good luck breaking in the backseat of a motorcycle outside the tasty freeze on a Saturday night.
my mom or dad would have to accompany me while driving the car there though... and my ex's parents didnt care, her bedroom has perfectly acceptable....

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis