Sony S Android Tablet

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Were the Sony engineers just born yesterday or just incompetent or just plain stupid?:eek:

I'm typing this review on my Motorola Xoom w/ ICS Android 4.0 OS. Why? Because the Sony S tablet will "connect" to the wireless network in my office, but somehow will not have any "data connectivity". What?:eek:

My Xoom & EVO 4G have no issues 100% of the time. In fact, none of the dozen other laptops I've brought here over the last 16 years have ever had any problems with connection.

I think just about everything about the Sony S tablet is inferior to the Motorola Xoom, Asus Transformer, Samsung Galaxy, iPad, and every other tablet out their for around $400.

First, the Sony tablet's 9.4" screen is smaller than most of the "10-inch" tablets. I guess they did a double-blinded study and found that most people prefer smaller screens than the iPad. Not.

Second, the SD card can only be used to transfer files from the card to the tablet or from the tablet to the SD card. It cannot be used as a "permanent" storage extension like every other tablet in the universe. Really? So these Sony "engineers" really thought this one up? Let's go beyond "different" and right into the retardation realm. Are you kidding me?:mad:

The Xoom takes about 1 hour to recharge 100%. The Sony takes about only 5 hrs. :eek:

The Xoom lasts 8 hrs. The Sony's battery lasts 4 hrs. :eek:

The only great thing about this Sony S tablet is the built-in IR universal remote. It is quite awesome. I love it. It controls every single IR component in my house 100%. Amazing.

There are 2 ways to program the remote. One is the "easy" way in which you select the type and brand of your components. Second is the custom way. You can rename most of the buttons. You program using your existing remote. My projectors have both an OFF & ON button, so I program the default POWER button as "OFF" and rename/program another nearby button as "ON". Same with my Denon BD players.

Although all 3 of my Denon AVR/AVP have both "On" and "Off" buttons, the "Easy pre-programmed" remote only require a single button for both "On" & "Off". Super cool. Even better than the original AVP-A1HDCI remote!

Every single function on my remotes can be programmed. Even my older TV and Toshiba HDDVD.:D For example, I programmed a button & named it "Door". It opens the door on my Toshiba.:D Every single function.

Now it would be nice if some genius could perhaps design a case that would accommodate this great function. Every tablet case out there covers up the IR blaster. All it takes is a opening on the IR side. Hello? People are so brilliant these days.

In conclusion, this Sony S tablet is basically a $400 universal remote with otherwise inferior tablet functionality because the engineers at Sony were either just born yesterday or just incompetent or just plain stupid.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I will be returning this Sony tablet to Amazon and wait for the new Motorola Xoom 2, which will feature the IR blaster universal remote, faster CPU, better glass, same 10.1" size screen. Release date is Q300 2012.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Oops. It's called the Xyboard in the USA, but only available via Verizon for now. Will wait. :D

It does have the IR blaster, though.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
The Galaxy 10.1 takes 4 hours to charge, up to 5 if you drain the battery down to less than <10%. It's an amazing android tablet. Couldn't live without it now.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I own the Rim Playbook and this thing is freaken amazing. I have full 1080p going from the Playbook through my HT system via HDMI. Its fast,crisp, and clear. I heard that RIM is working hard to make it work with Android apps. Once this happens, you'll have the most secure tablet with the most applications working. I have a tablet that I connect to my Blackberry which allows me to surf where ever I go without having to look for WIFI.

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
I may be wrong, but I don't think that Sony was all that interested in computers in the first place. There computer stuff never really impressed me. I get the feeling that computers were just an afterthought to generate some extra revenue.

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
I own the Rim Playbook and this thing is freaken amazing. I have full 1080p going from the Playbook through my HT system via HDMI. Its fast,crisp, and clear. I heard that RIM is working hard to make it work with Android apps. Once this happens, you'll have the most secure tablet with the most applications working. I have a tablet that I connect to my Blackberry which allows me to surf where ever I go without having to look for WIFI.
Feb 21 is the new release date for the Playbook.

BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 release date confirmed by RIM employee on webcast? | CrackBerry.com

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I had a chance to play a little with the Motorola Xoom 2, which is called the Droid Xyboard.

For tablet stuff, it seems as good as any.

It has an IR blaster.

But (from what I've heard) like the Vizio tablet (which also has IR), it fails so badly as a universal remote.

It just reminds me that a lot of times, it is about the software.

Both the Xyboard & Vizio may have IR, but they don't have the software that the Sony has, which you cannot get from the market or web. It is proprietary - exclusive to Sony.

So it looks the Sony is king when it comes to IR universal remote tablets for now. It is quite awesome.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Ah just go Wi-Fi controllers and your life will jump to the new age of the kids. :D
Like my daughter told me, IR is old dad.. :eek::eek:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ah just go Wi-Fi controllers and your life will jump to the new age of the kids. :D
Like my daughter told me, IR is old dad.. :eek::eek:
Gotta use both WiFi & IR. Not all components are WiFi/ network equipped.

I use WiFi to control my Denon AVR, Panasonic BD, PC, & thermostat.

But my projectors and TVs are still in the dark ages with IR.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have a tablet that I connect to my Blackberry which allows me to surf where ever I go without having to look for WIFI.
My EVO 4G (rooted) allows WiFi tethering for free as well. I can use WiFi on my tablets anywhere there is 3G/4G.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
But my projectors and TVs are still in the dark ages with IR
which means it's time to spend some more money and update your projectors and TV :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
which means it's time to spend some more money and update your projectors and TV :D
Let me think about that for a few........................................... In the future, yes. No immediate need.:D

For now IR is better than nothing for PJ/TV.

Computers, thermostat, lighting, alarm system, security IP cameras definitely need remote access even away from home.

AVR & BD players have network materials & multi-zone, so definitely need to control in different rooms.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis