Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
Anxiously waiting for our Fearless Philly Production Leader returing to Maryland today!!!:D Yoohoo!!!

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Anxiously waiting for our Fearless Philly Production Leader returing to Maryland today!!!:D Yoohoo!!!
Well, I'm not much of a leader, and I'm certainly not fearless, but I am freaking back from freaking Germany. So tired. It says 7:00 PM on my computer, but for my brain it's 1:00 AM. I'll get some rest and then start into my backlog of Philharmonics. Good Night. Good Morning.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Welcome back, Dennis. I hope your trip was enjoyable.

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
Welcome home Dennis, hope you are rested now.

And.....

Happy New Year to everyone, hope this will be a prosperous one for all of us.

Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Glad he's back now he can answer my email :D . My commanding officer always told me, Jet lag is a state of mind. He said screw your biological clock as it will not protect you when you under fire, so get it together. Yes sir was my first response so I guess his advice worked after my 15 years serving.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Even if the Philharmonic speakers sounded better than the Soundscape, who would believe it?:eek:
We might end up in a Salk bashing fad like what happened to Axiom. One day they were better than sliced bread, the next day, they blow. (I am aware of the Axiom PR debacle.)

Veblen effect aside, both Soundscape and Philharmonic are priced reasonably considering cost to make.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
We might end up in a Salk bashing fad like what happened to Axiom. One day they were better than sliced bread, the next day, they blow. (I am aware of the Axiom PR debacle.)

Veblen effect aside, both Soundscape and Philharmonic are priced reasonably considering cost to make.
I don't think anyone thinks or would think, anything negative about Salk. They're one of the most highly recommended brands here. Sure it'd be nice if their website had polar graphs :D

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Sure it'd be nice if their website had polar graphs
it would be nice if all reputable speaker manufacturers had graphs and detailed measurements of their speakers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ascend has pretty much all the typical Stereophile graphs for their new towers.

But Stereophile and Soundstage NRC don't have any polar graphs either.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
...both Soundscape and Philharmonic are priced reasonably considering cost to make.
Well, I think everyone feels that the philharmonic speakers costs are reasonable, probably on the bargain side.:D

But I'm not willing to say the same regarding Salk.

It's probably just me and I'm fine with that, but no way I'm ever paying $16K for a Soundscape. So I guess I'll never own one.

And if Dennis had never come out with the Philharmonic speakers, I would probably never get the chance to audition his work.:D

I'm sure all the Salk speakers sound great since DMurphy is a big part of most of their designs. But they just cost too much for my personal taste. Sorry. :D

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Well, I think everyone feels that the philharmonic speakers costs are reasonable, probably on the bargain side.:D

But I'm not willing to say the same regarding Salk.

It's probably just me and I'm fine with that, but no way I'm ever paying $16K for a Soundscape. So I guess I'll never own one.

And if Dennis had never come out with the Philharmonic speakers, I would probably never get the chance to audition his work.:D

I'm sure all the Salk speakers sound great since DMurphy is a big part of most of their designs. But they just cost too much for my personal taste. Sorry. :D
Um...how much did your Revel's cost? The SoundScapes are better IMO. :)

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
ADTG thinks their made in mexico stock cherry finish is aesthetically better than the soundscapes.

I don't like either aesthetically. The Revels look cool in black IMO but not cherry, and the round midrange on the soundscapes is a bit avant garde for me too. But the custom veneer on those Soundscapes cpp just posted... dammnnnnnn is it pretty or WHAT?

if only I could invert the (__) midrange into a )_( box... I think that would fix the aesthetics without messing up the diffraction but what do I know:D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
To each his own. :D

I would like Stereophile, Soundstage, Home Theater Magazine, Sound & Vision Magazine, and 2 other publications to review the Soundscape and proclaim they are better than the Salon2. Then I'll believe.

The Soundscape hasn't even been reviewed or measured by any 3rd parties like Soundstage NRC or Stereophile.

So to say that it sounds better than anything out there, including the Salon or Orion or KEF Reference, just simply doesn't mean a whole lot to me. Not much proof there. It would be difficult to convince a jury. :eek::D

Oh, and including shipping and full authorized manufacturer warranty, I paid $14,000.

I've said this a few times before, but the looks of the Soundscape reminds me of the B&W 802D, except the Soundscape is squared, & the 802D is rounded.The SS reminds me of a choo-choo train.:eek::D

Now if the Soundscape could look exactly like the B&W 800D, which I could get for $16K, then you would see it in my room.:D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
ADTG thinks their made in mexico stock cherry finish is aesthetically better than the soundscapes.

I don't like either aesthetically. The Revels look cool in black IMO but not cherry, and the round midrange on the soundscapes is a bit avant garde for me too. But the custom veneer on those Soundscapes cpp just posted... dammnnnnnn is it pretty or WHAT?
I think the aesthetics of the Salon2 is 100% better.:eek::D

The aesthetics of the 800D is better than both.:eek::D

S

Solid-State

Banned
I need to replace those slow jumper cables and install some fast Kimber Kable as soon as I get my Philharmonic 3.:D

And to further enhance the sound, I need to replace my ATI AT3002 amp with the $8000 300WPC Lexicon amp. Oh wait, they are the same amp.:eek:
You have great taste and choice in gear. That's for sure. BUT I bet you spent a lot of money and time and have gone through a lot of gear to get to that level.

Considering you have or have had the best gear on the planet I can't wait to hear you opinion on the Phils.

With that avp-a1hd and ATI amps there is no question in my mind that none of your chain with bare impact on Phil judgement.

PS You must laugh at the Classe and Lexicon guys et al... ;)

R

Ricardojoa

Audioholic
I was just thinking about something. Really thinking.
If there are the 3 lines of Philharmonic that among them varies with tweeter and bass driver, would it be possible to a have a fourth line that actually varies with the mid driver? Something like the accutton ( not sure if Dennis would even consider this) or other drivers that works well with the highs and low?
Not saying that there is any problem with the Phils, but just a variation that still can be equally good.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I was just thinking about something. Really thinking.
If there are the 3 lines of Philharmonic that among them varies with tweeter and bass driver, would it be possible to a have a fourth line that actually varies with the mid driver? Something like the accutton ( not sure if Dennis would even consider this) or other drivers that works well with the highs and low?
Not saying that there is any problem with the Phils, but just a variation that still can be equally good.
Hi If I thought there was a superior midrange out there, I would by all means offer it as an option. But, it's my experience that a good planar driver, if used within its intended operating range, is superior to conventional dynamic drivers. This is certainly the case for open-back operation, since the rear wave is unobstructed. Although the Accuton no doubt has more sex appeal, its only advantage over the Neo8 planar is lower bottom-end reach. That was essential for the Salk SoundScape, because the big aluminum woofer had to be crossed low (280 Hz) to suppress the ringing breakup mode sufficiently. Otherwise I would have recommended the Neo8. Jim might still have gone with the Accuton on aesthetic grounds, but the Philharmonics are not intended to be works of visual art. The pulp bass drivers in the Philharmonics can be crossed comfortably at 650 Hz, which is well within the Neo8's capabilities. If I offered the Accuton as an option, buyers would pay around $500 extra for a slightly inferior product.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis