SVS PB13-Ultra Subwoofer Review

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I think the cylinders are super ugly...the big box is much more attractive imo :D

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I agree that function is far more important than form, but I'd prefer to have both if possible.

N

nickboros

Audioholic
It's great to see the objective measurements to back up what my own subjective listening told me about this SVSound PB13-Ultra DSP!

I was EXTREMELY impressed with the performance of the PB13-Ultra DSP when I heard one of the first units. I literally couldn't find a single thing to complain about. My only thought was that the only thing a more expensive sub could offer would be more output. And for the vast majority of people, there's no way they would ever require more output in a typical home - even one with a large home theater.

I'm personally less inclined to believe in the importance of being able to produce frequencies below 16Hz. For one thing, there are exceedingly few recordings that contain any information below 20Hz, let alone anything below 16Hz (which itself only crops up in pipe organ music or synthesized bass). While it's sort of cool to see a sub produce a measured response at 10 or 12Hz, I've never personally seen any real value in such performance because I literally cannot hear it and such frequencies basically don't exist in any normal material! (only in test tones).

So for me, I'm much more concerned with being able to really hit 20Hz with solid, non-compressed output. And since I can hear down to 18Hz (at least according to the testing that I underwent), I enjoy hearing a subwoofer that can extend down to that frequency. But the real meat is in being able to hit 20Hz with essentially the same output as the frequencies above 20Hz with frequency response that remains flat even as the SPL is increased.

My own subjective listening told me that the PB13-Ultra achieved my desires better than any subwoofer I had heard before. And the measurements in this review absolutely appear to back up my experience! 110dB CLEAN at 20Hz in what is essentially an quasi-anechoic environment?! That is amazing performance. But even more amazing is how the frequency response remains flat whether the output is 85dB or 105dB! THAT'S the kind of performance I've been dreaming of ever since my very first HTiB! lol :p And it's the kind of performance that even a very, very nice subwoofer like my Axiom EP500 just cannot deliver.

The price, the size and the weight? I hope people understand that if you really want performance at this level, there's no cheating the physics and the cost! IMO, this is about as small and inexpensive as anyone can make a subwoofer that performs this way. It is WAY less expensive than many subs that cannot even match this level of performance. Personally, I don't agree with docking a half a star for the "Value" rating. While it's true that most people likely don't have the budget for a $2000 subwoofer, I'd ask that Audioholics present to me a subwoofer that can match the PB13-Ultra DSP's performance while costing less! Then, and only then, would I agree that the PB13-Ultra DSP deserves anything less than a 5-star "Value" rating. And I say that because I know that achieving similar performance typically costs WAY more. There's cost and there's value. And while the PB13-Ultra DSP ain't cheap, it's value is still through the roof!

Anywho, I already trusted my ears, but it's nice to see the measurements line up exactly with my own perception. The fact that any "normal" person could conceivably afford this sub is what has had me so excited about it. This is not some $35,000 item that no normal person could ever own. This is a $2000 sub - and that includes the shipping to your door! That's simply outstanding. And while I've seen a handful of people bemoaning the fact that SVSound is no longer a "cheap" subwoofer company (no sub less than $679 anymore), I'd argue that they are making and selling the best subwoofer that they have ever offered and they are doing so at prices that don't really reflect just how good these SVSes really are!
I think that Seaton Submersives (the HP) may give this SVS sub a run for its money, at least just by comparing the specs. They are both within a couple of hundred dollars of each other. But, the Seaton HP has a 2400 Watt amp and two 15" drivers! Many folks have claimed flat frequency responses (starting at 50 or 60Hz) down into or close to the single digit territory. But, there hasn't been any reviews of the Seaton Sub except on forums. That would be great of audioholics gave it a review. Especially a nice detailed review like the one we saw with this SVS sub.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Reasonable weight can be combined with great performance. But apparently many people have a prejudice that their subwoofer must be a box, as that is what they are used to seeing. I have cylinders, and I like that they don't take up much floor space, are a size and shape that is easy to grab onto, and they do not weigh more than I can handle on my own without trouble. Mine, though, are less weight than the ones at the link above:
You do give up a mm or two of linear excursion ability in a downfiring setup, though I don't know if that matters any.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I think that Seaton Submersives (the HP) may give this SVS sub a run for its money, at least just by comparing the specs. They are both within a couple of hundred dollars of each other. But, the Seaton HP has a 2400 Watt amp and two 15" drivers! Many folks have claimed flat frequency responses (starting at 50 or 60Hz) down into or close to the single digit territory. But, there hasn't been any reviews of the Seaton Sub except on forums. That would be great of audioholics gave it a review. Especially a nice detailed review like the one we saw with this SVS sub.
I would love to see a detailed Submersive review :D

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I agree that function is far more important than form, but I'd prefer to have both if possible.
I have both a cylinder and a box svs sub, and both are great. The box is big and heavy, but IMHO is better looking, but the cylinder always gets people talking, or asking about it. Of course the giant PB13-Ultra gets people talking too. You can't go wrong with either, but moving the cylinder sub around is much easier than moving the box version.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Another great review of the pb13...:). Having hauled a pb13u up & down several flights of stairs and in & outta vechiles I could see how the weight might be coinsidered a "CON vs. PRO"...however around the house I use those furniture coaster(pads) & they work like a charm over carpet,tile and HW floors...stairs though...are still a problem...:D

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
pfff.... you guys complaining about weight. That thing is a baby compared to the sub I have to move around. lol. The review doesn't surprise me, though. A friend recently got one of those and I was pretty impressed with its performance. It is solid for sure.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
we know - you bought them because they were light weight. :D
As I bought them used, the real reason I bought them instead of the box version is because that is what was available at the time. But I am glad that they are the cylinder version, as they are much easier to move than their size would seem to indicate. I really don't want anything that is hard to move, unless it is necessary.

They also take up very little floor space, which in most cases is the most important aspect of their size once in place (as most people don't put anything above their subwoofers, the vertical dimension is usually not very important).

I also like the fact that they are unpowered, so I can use any amplifier I want with them. Given the limiters that are often built-in to the better subwoofers these days, I might feel differently if I were buying a new model. On the other hand, these seem like an interesting option to me.

N

Noobalert

Audiophyte
Wow Excellent Review.

Now I'm in a jam, 1 PB13-Ultra, or a pair of FV15HP:confused:

since I can't get an answer to when the rythmik F25's come back... decisions, decisions.... I'm trying not to pull the trigger, but after rereading the review I may lose sleep now thanks! :)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I submitted a request to Seaton for a product sample but haven't heard back. His products looks pretty solid though he's not a mainstream vendor so only true enthusiasts know about his stuff.

Ricci

Ricci

Bassaholic
pfff.... you guys complaining about weight. That thing is a baby compared to the sub I have to move around. lol. The review doesn't surprise me, though. A friend recently got one of those and I was pretty impressed with its performance. It is solid for sure.
Heh... I have many subs bigger and heavier than the PB13 too, but I did have to carry it out to my Jeep by myself which involves a few steps and then out of the vehicle to the test site. Those bigger, heavier subs I own are to the point that you simply don't attempt dead lifting them from the ground yourself. The other wrinkle is that I don't own the review unit and I was trying my best to keep the finish from getting beat up while I was carrying it. I am pretty strong and fit but by no means Herculean, or a big guy. I wouldn't want to handle much more than the PB13 by myself.

Plus as one commenter said we have to put something in the Cons column. :D

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
A great review, and it only confirms what I've known for several years now...:D

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
$25,000 for 8 FW18.0 and probably something like 25,000 watts needed just for the subs. That's also fairly ridiculous...although it would be an amazing system :)
It sure is and I love it....

6X LMS's with 24000w behind it.... It is truly ridiculous....
And at 300+ lbs for each of my 3 - the Ultra13 is a walk in the park.... may I say LightWeight.... :D

Not to sidetrack this thread - there is no question that the SVS Ultra13 is one heck of subwoofer in its own right.... Even back when it was measured and compared years ago with the old amp it was an incredible performer with extreme output and incredibly low distortion.

SVS has been in the game a long time and has a very very capable driver designer in Stephen Ponte - which I assume is still in the game at this point and time. He was at one time part of the TC-Sounds team, so he has some amazing history behind him.

Nothing says BAD@$$ like this picture of such an amazing driver.

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Heh... I have many subs bigger and heavier than the PB13 too, but I did have to carry it out to my Jeep by myself which involves a few steps and then out of the vehicle to the test site. Those bigger, heavier subs I own are to the point that you simply don't attempt dead lifting them from the ground yourself. The other wrinkle is that I don't own the review unit and I was trying my best to keep the finish from getting beat up while I was carrying it. I am pretty strong and fit but by no means Herculean, or a big guy. I wouldn't want to handle much more than the PB13 by myself.

Plus as one commenter said we have to put something in the Cons column. :D
Don't worry Josh. Paradigm saw your SVS review and is planning on sending you their Sub2. That should be plenty big and heavy for ya :D

F

farrow099

Audioholic Intern
I owned their cylinder subs once upon a time, it became my reference sub for all other subs I've owned to this day.

I went ahead and put together a 20hz tuned 15" tc sounds lms-r sub awhile back. I must say that although it is incredibly clean and loud. It does not have the floor wobbling ability of the downward firing SVS cylinder subs! Those things SLAMMED my floor with low bass. Truly impressive!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis