Aim my ears for in home auditions

C

Chinaski

Audioholic Intern
The home theater is now in a much larger room (~5K cu. ft mostly due to 2 story ceilings) and the Axiom M22tis hit their proverbial wall in this room (as mentioned in the reviews on this site, actually). Best part is I get to audition new speakers in my room, and you get to help! 2nd best part is the M22tis are sounding better than ever in the bedroom hooked to a 1983 model year JVC 2ch. int. amp. (A-X400!)

So I pulled out an old pair of AR338s (large 3-way bookshelf), plopped them in the main home theater and found them very lively, certainly outputting enough to fill the room. These throw wide but not deep, and imaging isn't anything to write home about, and cymbals are compressed and don't sustain, and midrange isn't pronounced or lush enough. I played sax in jazz/blues/rock bands and have a less critical pair of golden ears these days. But I'm sure to find a floorstander or standmount listing between $1.5K-2K/pair to satisfy (matching center is not included in the price range). I listen mostly to indie rock/alternative-rock (The Shins, The Frames, Elbow, Beck, Los Lobos, Spoon, Arcade Fire, LCD Soundsystem, TV on the Radio, Flaming Lips, Doves..., to name but a few), world, reggae, jazz (Joshua Redman!)

I realize what sound I want to audition in my home, I prefer fun and lively just slightly over accuracy and neutrality. Something that is engaging, and may be slightly forgiving of average or slightly below average recordings (though I seek out well mixed recordings regularly). I have an older Yamaha 6.1 receiver putting out 130wpc, and a still kicking, quite musical a/d/s sub (that needs a mate soon, but that can wait).

A few years ago I listened to Monitor Audio RS6, and a couple Totem models in a shop nearby and wasn't thrilled with the in-store setup since none of the models begged me to take them home to try out. But the money in my pocket wasn't burning as big a hole as it is today.

What should I bring home to audition?

G

gpost3

Banned
if you want lively, then look for mid ranged Sony amp/avr.

C

Chinaski

Audioholic Intern
if you want lively, then look for mid ranged Sony amp/avr.
Thanks! How about a speaker recommendation?

My Yamaha receiver is the RX-V3200 from '02, trust me it's no slouch. And it replaced an HK AVR80! With an SPL meter in hand, a BR player with 7.1 analog outs, and only 2 HDMI devices (HD DirecTV DVR the other device) to connect to my Mits WD-65738, I'm having a really tough time justifying a receiver upgrade until the Yammie can't read its bucket list [shutter]. And I love and highly recommend the Logitech Squeezebox products (I set mine up using only the receiver without the duet remote (yeah a bit geeky here), and use an iPod Touch and Android phone to control it all, ...lovely Flac!)

Any speakers I must without a doubt try?

I've seen some recommendations for Revel F12, ERA D4, B&W 683, Salk (who I admire since he knows you have to get the midrange right 1st), Boston Acoustics (which I used to have in my '88 RX7 back in the day).

I work from home upstairs in my loft overlooking the 2-story great room, and music is on all day, downstairs. Don't need to be too critical listening to this. But 2-4 hours a week I want to recline in my overstuffed leather lazyboy in front of my new speakers and feed my ears some audio candy, albeit, affordable ear candy. Thanks!

Last edited:
STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Go audition Klipsch Reference series. They are good lively speakers but not too reveling. For most they are a love them or hate them kind of product but definitely worth a listen..

G

gpost3

Banned
Thanks! How about a speaker recommendation?
Although my expertise is in active speakers but you could check out Sony's SS B3000 - they will be lively. They have 3-way design with an 8" kevlar subwoofer built into the speaker. You should check them out and their price will be very moderate.

C

Chinaski

Audioholic Intern
What do you think of the Mackie HR824mk2 or HR624mk2? A friend raves about his 824s, but he's purely a 2.0 listener.

C

Chinaski

Audioholic Intern
Although my expertise is in active speakers but you could check out Sony's SS B3000 - they will be lively. They have 3-way design with an 8" kevlar subwoofer built into the speaker. You should check them out and their price will be very moderate.
Wiseass. I didn't know this place allowed azzholes in....
Now where's that ignore button?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
He is looking for sensible advice! I don't think he wants the junk you are recommending.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The home theater is now in a much larger room (~5K cu. ft mostly due to 2 story ceilings) and the Axiom M22tis hit their proverbial wall in this room (as mentioned in the reviews on this site, actually). Best part is I get to audition new speakers in my room, and you get to help! 2nd best part is the M22tis are sounding better than ever in the bedroom hooked to a 1983 model year JVC 2ch. int. amp. (A-X400!)

So I pulled out an old pair of AR338s (large 3-way bookshelf), plopped them in the main home theater and found them very lively, certainly outputting enough to fill the room. These throw wide but not deep, and imaging isn't anything to write home about, and cymbals are compressed and don't sustain, and midrange isn't pronounced or lush enough. I played sax in jazz/blues/rock bands and have a less critical pair of golden ears these days. But I'm sure to find a floorstander or standmount listing between $1.5K-2K/pair to satisfy (matching center is not included in the price range). I listen mostly to indie rock/alternative-rock (The Shins, The Frames, Elbow, Beck, Los Lobos, Spoon, Arcade Fire, LCD Soundsystem, TV on the Radio, Flaming Lips, Doves..., to name but a few), world, reggae, jazz (Joshua Redman!)

I realize what sound I want to audition in my home, I prefer fun and lively just slightly over accuracy and neutrality. Something that is engaging, and may be slightly forgiving of average or slightly below average recordings (though I seek out well mixed recordings regularly). I have an older Yamaha 6.1 receiver putting out 130wpc, and a still kicking, quite musical a/d/s sub (that needs a mate soon, but that can wait).

A few years ago I listened to Monitor Audio RS6, and a couple Totem models in a shop nearby and wasn't thrilled with the in-store setup since none of the models begged me to take them home to try out. But the money in my pocket wasn't burning as big a hole as it is today.

What should I bring home to audition?
It would help if we knew what was available in your area.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Any speakers I must without a doubt try?

I've seen some recommendations for Revel F12, ERA D4, B&W 683, Salk (who I admire since he knows you have to get the midrange right 1st), Boston Acoustics (which I used to have in my '88 RX7 back in the day).

I work from home upstairs in my loft overlooking the 2-story great room, and music is on all day, downstairs. Don't need to be too critical listening to this. But 2-4 hours a week I want to recline in my overstuffed leather lazyboy in front of my new speakers and feed my ears some audio candy, albeit, affordable ear candy. Thanks!
I have two thoughts. One is predictable - find someone near you who has Salk Songtowers and listen to them. These speakers are in your price range and it seems you are already aware of them. There is an Owner's Audition List thread here. If you are near the Washington, DC area, you are welcome to come hear mine. I think they are much better than most if not all other commerciallly available speakers in your price range.

My other thought is that rooms with high ceilings, with the right speakers & enough amp power, can be less of a problem than many people imagine. The high ceilings make for different ceiling and floor bounce cancellations in the bass range, but at frequencies higher than that, the most important dimension is the distance between the listener and the speakers. What was it about your Axiom M22s that didn't work in that room?

C

Chinaski

Audioholic Intern
My other thought is that rooms with high ceilings, with the right speakers & enough amp power, can be less of a problem than many people imagine. The high ceilings make for different ceiling and floor bounce cancellations in the bass range, but at frequencies higher than that, the most important dimension is the distance between the listener and the speakers. What was it about your Axiom M22s that didn't work in that room?
I do sit 14-15 feet away from the mains -- the M22s were fine for my HT DirecTV/BR needs. I seldom crank the volume. But mated with the receiver I have, when playing music with a slightly critical ear at volumes approaching 80-85dB the M22s just sound like they're not up for room filling sound. They're the wrong tool for the application with my receiver. Now when I hooked the AR338s back up to the receiver, being less efficient vs the M22s, and also being an acoustically sealed box versus a ported design, they clearly are able to push out a larger, fuller sound (maybe I mean to say they are clearly more dynamic). Problem is they are a bit harsh in comparison to the M22 sound in the upper mids and highs. I decrease the treble on the receiver for the 338s, yet when watching a movie in DTS the other night at 80ishdB the shriller highs caught my ear in a mildly unpleasant fashion. My thought was no amount of treble defeating is going to alleviate that... The M22s originally replaced the 338s for in my previous room the 338s were just too "shrill" turned up past 75dB; this room had hardwood floors, low ceilings; a long rectangular and narrow room. The 338s, matching center, and AR318s comprised my 1st HT speaker setup from 1995. M22s came into play in 2001. Both of these speakers, 338s and m22s, were under $600 a pair, I realize I have bang-for-the-buck-itis, but it's time to get mains with a nice center that are worthy of my critical ear.

I want a tower speaker (though a stand-mount could work also) offering sweet, non-fatiguing highs, with a world-class mid-range (or as close I can get to it in my price range). I have a decent enough of a sub, but would like some slam out of the towers when I may occasionally pull out something like the latest Foo Fighters CD. Ideally, I should be able to buy the mains with a matching center for under $2500, but preferably closer to $1500. I can run a phantom center for a while also, so a great deal on just the mains for now would work well, too.

Unfortunately my placement is severely restricted in my great room, and the 65" screen and pair of mains have to be in the only possible corner I have in the room. The right main speaker will have a bit more breathing room behind it and to the side, but the left main will have a foot or less of space behind it, and the rear corner of the speaker will be within 6 inches of the sidewall. Maybe a sealed stand-mount is optimal for my room?

Good help appreciated!

Last edited:
C

Chinaski

Audioholic Intern
Another poster asked what is available in my area -- I'm in Hampton Roads in SE VA. Intrigued by Dynaudio I looked their website up to find a local dealer, nope, nadazipzilch nearby. So Dynaudio isn't local. I did demo Monitor audio, and some Totems locally. I get up to Richmond and DC often so can easily do a sale there. DC likely having far more options.

C

Chinaski

Audioholic Intern
Compressed sounding, that's what the M22s sound like at higher volume levels in my room.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Chinaski - I understand what you said in your description of your M22's sound. I really think you should hear some SongTowers. They just might be what you are looking for.

I am about a 3.5 to 4 hour drive from Hampton. I know the drive very well, my wife is from Newport News. You are welcome to visit me. Send a PM to arrange it. If it isn't too much trouble, bring your M22s for a direct comparison.

You could also email Dennis Murphy (look for his email address at the bottom of that page) and set up a visit. He lives in Bethesda, MD and is the designer of the SongTower and a number of other Salk designs. His home is the only Salk showroom other than Jim Salk's house. It is heaven for a speaker junkie. His crossover designs are what gives Salk speakers their characteristic sound.

There is a guy named Jim who lives in Hampton, VA who owns a pair of Salk HT2-TL towers. I met him because he came up here several times before he decided what to get. He posts under the name Saturn94 on the Salk Signature Sound forum at Audiocircle. Register at that site and send him a PM. He will love to show off his speakers. The HT2-TL cost double the price of SongTowers, but share a similar sound especially in the midrange. They have deeper bass and a bit more detailed sound.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I am about a 3.5 to 4 hour drive from Hampton. I know the drive very well, my wife is from Newport News.
There is a guy named Jim who lives in Hampton, VA who owns a pair of Salk HT2-TL towers.
You guys need to stop talking about, my past home town area
Tidewater/Hampton Roads, Va. - I spent most of my life there.
However, I am use to my new location. That is a good idea, to
audition the Salks - they should be on a short list.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
C

Chinaski

Audioholic Intern
Aperion VGTs are in the running, and I read great things about the upcoming Sierra towers, too. There was a thread in avsforums where some WI-based folks held a speaker shootout, and had HT2TLs and Verus Grand bookshelves, and Sierra 1s, too, all crossed over to a sub at 80hZ. But they experienced a room anomaly adversely affecting the mids on the Verus speaks which lead them to setup a new shootout in a better room. Doesn't seem they got around to it yet.

My first job out of college back in the Reagan days was as a full commission salesman (with a monthly draw) for Circuit City (things changed for the worst for them later). We could buy things at CC's cost, and I doubt much has changed over the years, but my Acoustic Research AR91 towers listed for $429 each, last floor model pair sold for $299 each, but employee cost for new was $103 each. (Digression: those AR91s were driven all those years by a 1982 Yamaha 80wpc integrated amp (A-760II) which still works today)

Does anyone else think corporations producing speakers with more resources, with similar, and perhaps even more talent, with more patents and labs and other resources, with economies of scale hopefully on their side, should be able to best out smaller "boutique" shops in many of their speaker lines (but certainly not every single model in every line)?

Aesthetics aside for now, just based on pure aural pleasure? I mean if small shop #1 can sell a finely crafted product for $1800, how can we relatively compare that value with a much larger corporation's particular product's price? It's all subjective. Clearly every single speaker reviewer always, or almost without fail, mentions a relative value, compared to more (sometimes far more) expensive models, for the speaker being reviewed. Odd isn't it? They seldom do this as religiously for receivers and similar ilk -- here, they'll often refer to the receiver's price/value being at or near the top of its class, or par for the course, or that you can get more features for similar money with other brands, for example. If every speaker reviewed always is better than some far more expensive, it really only encourages one to buy it based on value not aural delight. Even I got caught up by those kinds of reviews, hence my Axiom M22s purchase.

So if the list price to cost ratio is similar today as it was in the early 80s (for at least one fairly well known speaker maker), retailer cost of a larger-corporation-manufactured speaker can be 25% of suggested list. Anyone think it's much higher today? For speaks around $1k a pair? $2K a pair? $4K a pair?

How about a ratio for a smaller company, such as a Salk or Ascend or Aperion? If their speakers were to be retailed, not sold ID, would the ratio be much higher than 25%? Maybe as high as 65%?

If I can buy Aperion VGTs or Songtowers for $1800+, does this mean I'd best be comparing these to retail speakers listing well over $2500 (maybe even as high as $3375 for a retail pair, even after a 25% discount)?

Not every really good speaker can be worth far more than its price! And nobody wants to pay $3000 when they could have found an equivalent for $2000 or $1500 or even $1000, including me!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Does anyone else think corporations producing speakers with more resources, with similar, and perhaps even more talent, with more patents and labs and other resources, with economies of scale hopefully on their side, should be able to best out smaller "boutique" shops in many of their speaker lines (but certainly not every single model in every line)?
Patents - There are precious few things in speaker design that are patentable anymore. Most designs may be proprietary, trade secrets, but they are not new enough to warrant a patent.

Labs - What took labs and experienced designers in the past to develop new speaker designs, can now be done with a PC and some comparatively inexpensive software and equiptment. It still takes a talented and experienced designer, but the cost is low enough that small businesses can afford it.

Today, it seems the only thing that large corporation speaker makers have an advantage compared to small makers is in economy of scale. And that seems to matter most only in the less expensive lines of speakers. Polk is an example of what I mean. Their less expensive products would be hard for any small company to compete with. The other things you mentioned, seem to matter much less than they may have in the past.

The trouble with more than a few large speaker makers today is that they have marketing departments, who often seem to have the power to make decisions that the engineering or design departments should be making.

The other disadvantage is the cost of the old style distribution/sales system. It is one of the reasons why Circuit City is out of business. Too much of what they sold could be found for less over the internet.

I have been interested in DIY speaker building for a number of years, and one of the early things I learned is that roughly half the cost of speakers in typical retail stores was dealer and/or distributor mark up. In fact, if you considered only the cost of the manufactured parts, the drivers, crossover & other miscellaneous parts, you could build speakers equal in performance to items in retail stores costing three to five times as much. That doesn't include cabinet building and finishing, and with nicely finished cabinets, that can be a considerable cost.

I can't speak for most internet direct speaker makers because they use drivers that they have made only for their own use. But I can comment for Salk speakers because I am very familiar with his products, and you can find nearly all the drivers he uses from suppliers who sell directly to individuals like myself. Jim Salk may negoitate a better price with a larger purchase, but it is still possible to estimate to cost of the parts he uses. One of the reasons why I bought SongTowers is that they would have cost me over $800 in parts even if I knew what the crossover design was (I didn't). And the cabinet finishing was a much better quality than anything I could do. His mark up was such that his speakers are a genuine bargain. His prices have risen since 2007, but they are still a bargain.

I have found some speakers, Joseph Audio, that are comparable in build quality and general sound quality to several Salk models. They are sold by dealers in the old fashioned distribution model. They cost about two to three fold what Salk speakers cost.

I could go on, but I'll stop here and let you respond.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis