Midl-life Crisis System

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
After shutting down one business (health club), losing another (restaurant), including one BSC ex-girlfriend, I decided to treat myself to some speaker and receiver upgrades.

My RC62 (still in picture) died :mad: and spurred me to upgrade my old Choruses to some RF83's, RC64, and RS62's

Considering a TV upgrade, but will be moving in a few months and may affect my decision for either a projector or 60"+ plasma.

Just bought a Harmony One, but the "down" button is malfunctioning right out of the box, so it'll have to go back when I pick up my RC64.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
hello, Nestor. you know me from the diy forum (different name)

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
i am "condo-owner", hear me roar !!! lol

Last edited:
N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
Update: New Pad

After moving into my new house, I decided to streamline things a little...

1/8" clearance between door and speaker. :eek: Had to fashion a mounting bracket that would put the surround completely against the ceiling for clearance. Difficulty: No outlet to use my welder.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Looks great! Like you said, definitely more streamlined. Although, I think that I shed a tear when I couldn't find the wet bar in your new photos... :)

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Looking very nice!! A lot cleaner than your previous place. Better colors & less cluttery.

One thing that would drive me nuts (not being mean!)

What is to the right of the front right RF83? Could you move your sub to the front right corner? If you did then you could center your component cabinet directly under your tv then have your mains equal distance apart. If there is a corner to the right you may get more output out of the sub & have a symetrical setup with your tv, cabinet & mains. Just a thought!

HomeDepot & Lowes have a little section that carries any cable management tracks. If you rent or dont want to open up holes in the wall you can use the track system that sticks to the wall with double sided tape. You push your cables in the sleeve & snap a white cap over it. I used it at my place its very easy & looks clean. I painted the cap the color of my wall & you can barely even see it. It would be perfect for your tv's power cable & HDMI.

Otherwise looking good!!!

Now time to save up for a real sub! Think SVS, HSU, Rythmik!! (sorry had to say it, we were all thinking it). :)

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
Thanks guys.

There has been method to my madness. Lack of time has steered most of my decisions.

Cable management is on the list. Will be installing a couple of renovation boxes to take care of power/hdmi/lan.

The arrangement is (somewhat) temporary, since I haven't decided what a/v furniture I wanted to purchase or build. For the interim, an Ikea "Lack" unit was a cheap solution. To my chagrin, the Yammy Rx was too big to fit on the lower shelf. As luck would have it, the center channel and Rx both fit the top shelf, with the "offset" being the compromise.

As for the subwooofer. I did the "crawl" and didn't find a big difference.

The sub's current location will be a good spot for a small cabinet with two of these:

I also have two of these:

18" Daytons begging for two THT LP enclosures. ;)

Once I decide how I want to finish the enclosures, I'll post more pics.

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
Looking very nice!! A lot cleaner than your previous place. Better colors & less cluttery.

One thing that would drive me nuts (not being mean!)

What is to the right of the front right RF83? Could you move your sub to the front right corner? If you did then you could center your component cabinet directly under your tv then have your mains equal distance apart. If there is a corner to the right you may get more output out of the sub & have a symetrical setup with your tv, cabinet & mains. Just a thought!

HomeDepot & Lowes have a little section that carries any cable management tracks. If you rent or dont want to open up holes in the wall you can use the track system that sticks to the wall with double sided tape. You push your cables in the sleeve & snap a white cap over it. I used it at my place its very easy & looks clean. I painted the cap the color of my wall & you can barely even see it. It would be perfect for your tv's power cable & HDMI.

Otherwise looking good!!!

Now time to save up for a real sub! Think SVS, HSU, Rythmik!! (sorry had to say it, we were all thinking it). :)
Will a couple of 36" THT-LP's do? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Dude those are freakin awesome!!! Once finished they will look monstrous & sound even scarier!!! Dual 15" THT LP will sound INCREDIBLE!!! Plus now you will be able to center your cabinet under your tv...otherwise I'm comin over to move it myself!! Hahah

Keep the pics comin!!

I think you should paint the boxes black & then buy some Bar Top Epoxy to pour over them. They will look like glass once finished. Little tricky to work with but there are great instructions online to follow. I just used the glaze on a turntable plinth I just finished for my LencoL75, that stuff looks amazing once it's done right. It was my first time using it so you can do it too!!

Your system is comin along great! So tell us about how they sound!

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
Dude those are freakin awesome!!! Once finished they will look monstrous & sound even scarier!!! Dual 15" THT LP will sound INCREDIBLE!!! Plus now you will be able to center your cabinet under your tv...otherwise I'm comin over to move it myself!! Hahah

Keep the pics comin!!

I think you should paint the boxes black & then buy some Bar Top Epoxy to pour over them. They will look like glass once finished. Little tricky to work with but there are great instructions online to follow. I just used the glaze on a turntable plinth I just finished for my LencoL75, that stuff looks amazing once it's done right. It was my first time using it so you can do it too!!

Your system is comin along great! So tell us about how they sound!
Thanks!

Finishing these behemoths is going to take some planning. I need to have the flexibility to change horizontal/vertical orientation while keeping them aesthetically pleasing. After some rumination, I've decided the best way to do this is removable and re-orientable panels. A side benefit of this is being able to leave these monsters in my family room while I finish the panels in the shop.

If I center my little Ikea unit, I won't have any room for the AVR, so it'll have to stay put until I purchase (or build) something appropriate. Hope you can live with it a little while longer. ;)

As for how they sound? One word: Breathtaking!

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
Update:

I added rear surrounds last winter but couldn't find an acceptable speaker mount that could hold a full size bookshelf. I also couldn't find a bracket that would let the speaker clear the bulkhead created by the ducting.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373734711.367169.jpg

So I dusted off my MIG welder and used some extra stock I had laying around.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373734771.719783.jpg

Next step, test mount, paint, and install.

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
Done!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374433179.200138.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374433205.032823.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374433226.130008.jpg

About 6' 5" clearance, so it should be head bump free for most.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis