Denon AVP-A1HDCI / POA-A1HDCI Review Support Thread

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I don't think many people like the idea of a $7,500 150WPC x 10ch amp. In this price range, I think people expect 300WPC x 5ch or x 7ch.
To be fair, I think it's 10 channels because it's intended for bi-amping IE 300 x 5. People that are looking in this price range are probably all about the bi-amping. I guess they should have a 14 channel amp but that's a pretty tall order to fill!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
To be fair, I think it's 10 channels because it's intended for bi-amping IE 300 x 5. People that are looking in this price range are probably all about the bi-amping. I guess they should have a 14 channel amp but that's a pretty tall order to fill!
Earthquake/ATI 300WPC amp: 374WPC x 2ch into 8ohms 1% THD:

http://hometheatermag.com/poweramplifiers/905earthquake/index2.html

Denon POA 330WPC x 2ch into 8ohms Bridged 1% THD:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/amplifiers/denon-poa-a1hdci/pao-a1hdci-measurements

My conclusion: POA not all that great compared to some other amps in terms of power output.

I think people who can easily afford the POA might be looking into something like the Classe's 300WPC x 5ch 8ohms amp.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/amplifiers/denon-poa-a1hdci/pao-a1hdci-measurements

My conclusion: POA not all that great compared to some other amps in terms of power output.

I think people who can easily afford the POA might be looking into something like the Classe's 300WPC x 5ch 8ohms amp.
There's a difference between bi-amping and bridge-amping. Especially for someone running proper active crossovers.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

http://hometheatermag.com/powerampli...ke/index2.html

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/a...i-measurements

There is more to an amp than just power output, else we would all us 2000watt DJ amps for home theater. The Denon amp is a very nice sounding amp, its got a great SNR, channel to channel isolation, and is very dynamic. If I had my HDMI analyzer back when I measured it, I suspect the dynamic power tests would have yielded excellent results.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
There is more to an amp than just power output, else we would all us 2000watt DJ amps for home theater. The Denon amp is a very nice sounding amp, its got a great SNR, channel to channel isolation, and is very dynamic. If I had my HDMI analyzer back when I measured it, I suspect the dynamic power tests would have yielded excellent results.
All from the same lab/HTM:

Denon POA:
197WPC x 2ch 8ohms, 318WPC x 2ch 4ohms, THD 0.002%, Crosstalk -110dB, SNR -115dBA

Earthquake/ATI:
374WPC x 2ch 8ohms, 565WPC x 2ch 4ohms, THD 0.013%, Crosstalk -101dB, SNR -105dBA

Classe CT-5300:
435WPC x 2ch 8ohms, 4ohms could NOT be done, THD 0.023%, Crosstalk -107dB, SNR -111dB

http://hometheatermag.com/preampprocessors/denon_avp-a1hdci_surround_processor_and_poa-a1hdci_amplifier/index4.html

http://hometheatermag.com/preampprocessors/classeacute_ct-ssp_surround_processor_and_ct-5300_amplifier/index5.html

So the THD, Crosstalk, & SNR all look better on the Denon POA.

The only bad thing about the POA is that it is like 130 pounds!!!:eek:

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
So the THD, Crosstalk, & SNR all look better on the Denon POA.

The only bad thing about the POA is that it is like 130 pounds!!!
Yes and I was stupid enough to lift that amp up my flight of steps and place it in my rack by myself. It was the last straw that literally broke my back as I now have 4 herniated discs, and multiple bulging discs in my back. This amp will remain in my rack until either I move, I die, or it dies at this point so I am stuck with it :p

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Yes and I was stupid enough to lift that amp up my flight of steps and place it in my rack by myself. It was the last straw that literally broke my back as I now have 4 herniated discs, and multiple bulging discs in my back. This amp will remain in my rack until either I move, I die, or it dies at this point so I am stuck with it :p
what if you got an elevator installed in your house? You could even bring a new meaning to "elevator music" by acoustically treating that 5 x 5 space LOL :p . Considering your main theater room is on the upper floor it would make things a lot easier.

Last edited:
D

deputy dog

Audiophyte
What amplifiers compare in quality, or are better in quality with xlr inputs, to the Denon POA-A1HDCI? I would like to start saving my money toward a good quality amplifier. How does the ATI-AT3005 stack up in sound quality? Also should I hang onto my Nikko alpha 220 amplifiers for say the rear surrounds and concentrate on a good solid amplifier for the front, center, and left speakers with bi-amping.

F

flagbonz

Audiophyte
brand new here.

i can attest to the power of the poa-a1.

i have had mine for 1 month. i have it bridged to my b&w 802d (left/right front) and htm2 (center).

the extension and stage depth are fantastic. it is extremely loud - but alot less fatigiguing that the prior amp i was borrowing (sunfire 200wpc bi-amped).

next step is the avp - i am hesitating because with my luck they will have a new model two weeks after my purchase........i dont have any interest in 3-d. i will probably pull the trigger in the next few weeks.

i would love any advice regarding waiting for the next gen avp....

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I wish Denon had "split" that POA into 2 separate amps, each weighing 65lbs, outputing 150WPC x 5Ch, and costing $3,750.:D

I would have gotten a pair.:D

It looks awesome, measures awesome, sounds awesome, but the weight is ridiculous!!!

I guess Denon doesn't realize that WEIGHT is one of the factors that goes into buying an amp?:eek:

I can't buy any amp over 100lbs!!!:eek:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What amplifiers compare in quality, or are better in quality with xlr inputs, to the Denon POA-A1HDCI? I would like to start saving my money toward a good quality amplifier. How does the ATI-AT3005 stack up in sound quality? Also should I hang onto my Nikko alpha 220 amplifiers for say the rear surrounds and concentrate on a good solid amplifier for the front, center, and left speakers with bi-amping.
What price range are we talking about here?:D

The Classe 300WPC x 5Ch amp costs $9,000 and is not as stellar as the POA in terms of FR, THD, Crosstalk, & SNR.

The ATI AT3005 measures closer to the Classe 300WPC amp in terms of power output, FR, THD, Crosstalk, & SNR, but you can get the AT3005 for $2K (condition 10/10 - like new w/ a full 7 yr ATI factory warranty).

The AT3005 is also the same amp (internally) as the Lexicon 300WPC, which is like $6,000 or $7,000.

ATI make amps for Lexicon, Earthquake Sound, JBL, Outlaw Audio, and probably some other companies.

The good news is that the AT3005 "only" weighs like 95lbs.:D

Shoot, I can handle 95lbs anyday as opposed to POA's 130lbs.:D

The AT3005 also has 2 huge metal handles in the front, which helps A LOT when installing into your rack!

I think the AT3005, along with the Lexicon amps, etc., sounds GREAT.
It delivers over 300WPC into 8ohms and 600WPC into 4ohms, and all the measurements are stellar (although not as stellar as the POA).

But can you HUMANLY tell the difference between the ATI/Lexicon amps vs. the POA when all levels are matched using the same great speakers & components in the same environment?

That will open up a whole can of worms!:D:D

D

deputy dog

Audiophyte
flagbonz: I just purchased my AVP after doing a lot of research because of all the bells and whistles it has to do just about anything short of 1.4 (3D) HDMI. I bought a refurb unit because I can't afford the full retail, so I just have to take the chance that all will be well within the refurb's 90 day warranty. That being said, from my understanding of the various web sites and reading all the threads, the only thing that can be upgraded on the AVP will be the Audissy to Audissy pro, the current 24 bit to a 32 bit processor, and the 1.4 HDMI. I don't care about the 1.4 HDMI because I think that they need to work the bugs out of the system and new technology still, and you can always go straight from a 3D projector or television straight to a 3D blu ray player-which would bypass the AVP video signal and then as long as you have a 2 output 3D blu-ray player you run another HDMI from the blu ray to the AVP for the audio portion., I personally don't know if there will be an audible difference going from 24-32 bit so I can't comment on that, and I also don't know how much better the Audissy pro is over the existing Audissy. For me it didn't seem that there can be that much upgraded to warrrant waiting another year plus, and then to pay the same amount if not more when I can enjoy it now.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I can't buy any amp over 100lbs!!!:eek:
If you've got the money for one, then surely you can afford one of these.

In fact, every audioholic should own one. I'll buy one to help me carry heavy things like 6-packs of OC703 and 25 foot spools of 12 awg speaker wire into my HT!

D

deputy dog

Audiophyte
AcuDefTech Guy

My price range is that of the ATI you are pushing, and it sounds like that will be the best bang for the buck which is what I'm looking for. I would only get the POA if I could get a refurb. unit for half the cost which would bring it down to a little more than the cost of the ATI. Right now I can't even afford the ATI, however I'm looking forward to my income tax refund next year to purchase the amplifier with, or maybe just after Christmas.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I know the ATI is made in america or what have you, but I'd also lean towards an Emotiva PMA-7350...10 year warranty vs 7 year! And I think it looks nicer...some may not agree in any way whatsoever.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you've got the money for one, then surely you can afford one of these.

In fact, every audioholic should own one. I'll buy one to help me carry heavy things like 6-packs of OC703 and 25 foot spools of 12 awg speaker wire into my HT!
No way. That might scratch the pretty surfaces of the components. No way.

If I cannot lift my amps with my bare hands without any problems and place them nice and easy without risk of scratching the components, then I will not buy the amps.

Like Dirty Harry says, "A man's gotta know his limitations!":D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would only get the POA if I could get a refurb. unit for half the cost which would bring it down to a little more than the cost of the ATI.
You can get a Refurb POA for $2,000?

So it comes down to a $2,000+ Refurb POA (90 day warranty or no warranty) vs. a Like-New $2,000 AT3005 (7 yr warranty)?

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
3005 is five channel though.

The more valid comparision would be a 3007...

2,765.00 for a b-stock ATI vs 3000 for the PMA-7350 (MSRP...and who pays 100% full MSRP? I'm sure a dealer would give ~5-10% off)

It's really rather close, the difference is one is an online thing with possible cosmetic and the other is dealer direct and looks nicer (ironically, the position of the companies is reversed from what it normally would be)

And of course there's the XPR-7... didn't they say that on a 30a / 220v line it was pulling a clean 450 wpc in 8 ohms x 7 All Channels Driven? All for ~$2400?

Last edited:
F

flagbonz

Audiophyte
flagbonz: I just purchased my AVP after doing a lot of research because of all the bells and whistles it has to do just about anything short of 1.4 (3D) HDMI. I bought a refurb unit because I can't afford the full retail, so I just have to take the chance that all will be well within the refurb's 90 day warranty. That being said, from my understanding of the various web sites and reading all the threads, the only thing that can be upgraded on the AVP will be the Audissy to Audissy pro, the current 24 bit to a 32 bit processor, and the 1.4 HDMI. I don't care about the 1.4 HDMI because I think that they need to work the bugs out of the system and new technology still, and you can always go straight from a 3D projector or television straight to a 3D blu ray player-which would bypass the AVP video signal and then as long as you have a 2 output 3D blu-ray player you run another HDMI from the blu ray to the AVP for the audio portion., I personally don't know if there will be an audible difference going from 24-32 bit so I can't comment on that, and I also don't know how much better the Audissy pro is over the existing Audissy. For me it didn't seem that there can be that much upgraded to warrrant waiting another year plus, and then to pay the same amount if not more when I can enjoy it now.

dep dog - my understanding is that the current avp has the ability to support audissy pro. my HT seller was planning to do a audissy pro set up if i get the current avp. any thoughts regarding this?

thanks

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis