I Lost Respect for Pat Metheny

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Pat Metheny IMO is one of the best jazz guitarists to ever live. What I say below is not easy for me as I've been such a huge fan of his work.

This makes me sick to my stomach. One of my all time favorite musicians shamelessly endorsing Bose as the ultimate speaker he has ever heard!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CEozzi-ng8

Come on Pat do you really need the $$$$ at this point in your career?

J

jamie2112

Banned
OH MY I am Sick as well.Thats just SOOOOOOOO wrong that I am in shock :eek::eek::eek:

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Bose is the answer ... but what was the question?

Oh yeah ... why does jazz suck so hard? :D

Next time I want to listen to Jazz I am headed straight for a department store elevator.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
"one of those life changing moments"

Thats funny ,Bose also provided me a life chaging moment.....they have driven me to build a system that actually sounds good. :)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The Bose L1 does has some advantages over other PA systems. I'm not going as far to say it's the best PA system, but the product itself definitely has place in the market. PA speakers in general aren't typically very accurate and I could see how the L1 would fit in a jazz environment. They certainly don't sound bad, and they aren't piercing like some PA systems can be. They fit the mold for Pat Methany because extreme high output is not necessary, compact size helps as well as setup, and they have a mellower sound than most PA systems.

At $999.99 the price is a little high, however I'm not aware of a product that is quite like it. I imagine the appeal of such a system is quite high when the prospect of tearing it down and putting it up show after show makes the L1 a candidate for those that can afford to purchase them.

The product itself is not bad. It is unfortunate that Bose is the ultimate profiteer behind it. If only Bose would apply the same level of engineering to their home audio products we wouldn't all have such a big beef with them.

I also don't think Pat would say they're the best speakers he's ever heard, he's certainly saying the sound the best for the application. The size and setup may also affect his opinion, even of the sound.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Seth;

I understand your points. But this is supposed to be a state of the art concert performance so why limit yourself to lifestyle type products for amplification and sound? Honestly the whole Orchestration project is a bit too gimmicky to me. I prefer straight up B-Bop Jazz like he did before firing his band to go solo and rein in all the profits.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Tell me I'm not the only one who noticed that he specifically said that the Bose handles all of the acoustic guitar's requirements and some of the electric guitars requirements. Like I didn't want to hear all of what the electric guitar could do and what about bass guitar?

I've heard that sh!t turned up at a wedding reception w/ rock and had to leave the room. I was being teased about my dislike for the Bose by a friend and I asked him to think about what he thought he liked better: the Bose towers or his Infinity Primus 250's that I sold him for a couple of hundred bucks? I'm sure the answer might have been different if the Bose wasn't being driven hard enough to distort but come on ... the moron who was stupid enough to lay down the big bucks for those didn't know enough to play them within their limits ... /rant.

J

jamie2112

Banned
I am sure that blows paid him a hefty sum for that ad.Being a live sound engineer I can tell you that alot of what Pat is saying is pure coached BS.Those speakers are a joke in the live industry might as well be community plastic speakers for mains, and as far as price :$999 is cheap when you see a compact blows system for $1200, just sayin......see who else uses them and then maybe they might have a little more clout ......

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Pat Metheny IMO is one of the best jazz guitarists to ever live. What I say below is not easy for me as I've been such a huge fan of his work.

This makes me sick to my stomach. One of my all time favorite musicians shamelessly endorsing Bose as the ultimate speaker he has ever heard!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CEozzi-ng8

Come on Pat do you really need the $$$$ at this point in your career?
Is it the Pro series, or the little crap everyone else likes? I saw him at Summerfest, as I mentioned, and the amps cut off repeatedly while he was playing, although they were really gettin' after it at the time.

OTOH, he used to record on EMC and they have put out some of the flattest-sounding (lifeless highs) recordings I can think of. The album with the white cover that has Sam Lorenzo is a great album but I never liked their drum sound. 'As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls' is a much better recording. I really like 'Bright-Size Life', too.

I'd have to say that his rant about Kenny G should partially make up for his endorsement of Blose. Look it up on YouTube- it's pretty funny, IMO. He really hates Kenny G.

Why not contact him and set him straight?

highfigh

highfigh

I am sure that blows paid him a hefty sum for that ad.Being a live sound engineer I can tell you that alot of what Pat is saying is pure coached BS.Those speakers are a joke in the live industry might as well be community plastic speakers for mains, and as far as price :$999 is cheap when you see a compact blows system for $1200, just sayin......see who else uses them and then maybe they might have a little more clout ......
Do you know of a guy who used to mix FOH for Pat Metheny, whose last name is Lunsford?

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
In an interview with guitarist, David Becker, he states...

I have a lot of endorsements and work with the Bose Speaker Company near Amsterdam. In 1992, they opened up a few offices in Russia. I told them I'd love to do some clinics there. Next thing I knew I was on a plane! I thought it was just going to be a few clinics... going to a store and talking about the speakers. We did six nights…three in St. Petersburg in Leningrad and three in Moscow. Our concerts were in these huge theaters and I got to play with David Goloshokin. He is one of the most popular jazz players there. He plays trumpet and runs this theater in St. Petersburg called the Jazz Philharmonie. We did one night on television with him to an audience of two hundred million people. Unbelievable! It's funny, but four years prior to that, I had done an interview in Washington D.C. at the State Department on Voice of America. The guy asked me, 'Have you ever thought of going to the Soviet Union?' I said, 'I'd love to because I have a song called Siberian Express and my grandfather had been all through there.' Then four years later, I was playing there. What a great experience that was."

highfigh

highfigh

Bose is the answer ... but what was the question?

Oh yeah ... why does jazz suck so hard? :D

Next time I want to listen to Jazz I am headed straight for a department store elevator.
Real Jazz doesn't suck, just the stuff made so the record companies can hop on a profit train. I saw a review of a Herbie Hancock show here that said it was the best playing the person had heard live in decades and the person who wrote it tours with Genesis, so...

I normally don't like trumpet because of Maynard Ferguson but if you like great playing that's not blatantly commercial, check out Brian Lynch. He has a site with clips. One of the best horn players I have ever heard.

http://brianlynchjazz.com/

J

jamie2112

Banned
Do you know of a guy who used to mix FOH for Pat Metheny, whose last name is Lunsford?
No I dont know that name.The jazz world is a whole nother ballgame though and I dont know too many guys in that genre..........

J

just listening

Audioholic
This endorsement in reality has nothing to do with sound quality. It's all about $$$ and covering the cost of the sound system he uses while on tour. With music sales in the dumper artists are having to become more creative when funding their tours in order to be profitable.

As much as all of us are disgusted by Bose, I sadly understand why he chose this route, especially after reading Chu's post. Metheny had a prior positive relationship and that, in no doubt influenced his decision.

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

The truth is the amount of sonic complexity that happens in the air is truly, infinitely, exponentially more complicated than what happens when you cram a bunch of stuff into a couple speakers because to me two speakers is just not enough.
The irony isn't lost on me that they're trying to explain how you can't create accurate sound with just two speakers, and they need a pile of discrete speakers, but Bose will tell you all day long that you can create surround sound with just two speakers with their 321 system.

Which is it?

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I am reminded of the quote in the movie, Munich by Golda Meir: "Every civilization finds it necessary to negotiate compromises with its own values."

And don't forget folks, Derek Jeter has the Edge.

highfigh

highfigh

I am reminded of the quote in the movie, Munich by Golda Meir: "Every civilization finds it necessary to negotiate compromises with its own values."

And don't forget folks, Derek Jeter has the Edge.
And in 'Animal House', D-Day responded to Flounder reminding him that he said Flounder's brothers' car would be safe if they took it out by saying "Hey, you effed up! You trusted us!".

If I bought Blose and didn't like them, I would have to feel like Flounder.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Check out to link gene posted;) It is the pro stuff.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis