UPDATED: Mark L. Schifter, PLEADS GUILTY to suspicion of charity fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.
woofersus

woofersus

Audioholic
I was hoping someone could clear up a question that I've had for sometime now. Schifter always claimed he was an OEM for other speaker companies. That's how I remember it at least. Being as he wasn't a partner in Sound Art and the Cali operation came very late in the game I'm assuming then that this was just more lies. Did he make speakers for other companies and who were the companies? I always thought this might be one reason for delays in delivering his own speakers because he was utilizing his "factories" for others.
SAC builds speakers (or at least cabinets) for a bunch of other companies, from obscure ID companies to well known B&M brands and at a wide range of price levels. MLS just didn't own any of that like he insinuated. Many of the big-time delays happened well after AV123 was no longer working with SAC.

A

andy_c

Audioholic
The mod at DIYaudio has now setup the thread so that any new posts must be approved before it is posted.
Actually they didn't change anything. At that forum, people who have just signed up are "under moderation" for a certain number of posts. This just means a moderator must approve the post before it's seen in the forum.

Basically, what they're doing is two things:
  1. Posts by new users that post what they consider a "personal attack" will never be seen.
  2. Posts by existing users that they consider a "personal attack" will cause that user's posting privileges to be suspended.

Last edited:
C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
Actually they didn't change anything. At that forum, people who have just signed up are "under moderation" for a certain number of posts. This just means a moderator must approve the post before it's seen in the forum.

1. Posts by new users that post what they consider a "personal attack" will never be seen.
  2. Posts by existing users that they consider a "personal attack" will cause that user's posting privileges to be suspended.
Got it...thanks for the clarification.

T

thenatinator

Junior Audioholic

Yup. My first post at 2:30 am was moderated in this way.
I asked if it was mark schifter, and if it was true that he pleaded guilty on two counts of fraud, on the 13th.
I'm just a little confused why this was considered a personal attack.
In my oppinion, it's really in the best interests of their forum to protect their members. As mentioned here mark has a pattern of nondelivery of paypal purchases, and has in fact pleaded guilty to two counts of fraud. This information is highly relevant. I PMed the mod their for a clarification of why this was moderated in this way.

I haven't taken the time to read their forum rules regarding vendors posting... But typically vendors have to identify themselves, post in particular sections, and are subject to different rules... His account was created in november (while av123 was still around, and the thread was started before av123 declared they weren't in business). My instinct is he was probably obligated to identify himself, and didn't for obvious reasons.

I think it's sad that the Mod over there blocked this discussion. It was in the best interest of the members to know who they were buying from and the inherint risks.

As far as the rolex forum goes, that seems to have a much higher probability for damage here. $10 tweaters aren't nearly as bad as a $10000 rolex.

R

rotorooter

Audioholic Intern
Schifter certainly hasn't been a member there for long. It's puzzling that DIY is giving him such deference.

E

Eddie Horton

Junior Audioholic
Quite fitting that he finally joined DIY Audio, as most of their product had been at least half-DIY for a couple of years.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
So, I got a post accepted in the thread

I wrote, "Could these be used in an RSL-II configuration, Mark?"

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
He's been trying to dump those for a while, Curtis. I figured rather than take the route of a post that's 100% going to be deleted, I'd just post something interesting.

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
I bet he'd happily take your money. Not so sure he'd ship you a mic, though... ;)

D

Das

Enthusiast
How has his PayPal account not been suspended with all the payments and non-deliveries, did nobody file grievances with them? Or I guess he could be using a family members?

D

Das

Enthusiast
In the post that conrack made, several folks weighed in on it. This was one of the longest.
BTW, I'm not so sure there ever was a legal team.
Of all people I figured you would have known that TADG was a multiple disciplined firm, and had already been in their employ well before the G2's.

The Allegorist Design Groupe - to help fabricate those epic posts regarding failed, missing, and un-shipped products, as well as vaporware defense teams.

The Alias Design Groupe - to create multiple company names and paypal accounts to spread culpability.

The Alibi Design Groupe - to try and remove any sense of blame. (see: legale teame)

Though I think we know they were probably just a bunch of voices in one's head.:p

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
How has his PayPal account not been suspended with all the payments and non-deliveries, did nobody file grievances with them? Or I guess he could be using a family members?
He abandoned the old PayPal account many months ago - probably hasn't used it since early 2009. The rubicon account's been in use since at least last fall. As for how PayPal allows someone who abused one account so egregiously to start operating a new account under a new email address, that's one I can't explain.

N

NicolasKL

Full Audioholic
I was hoping someone could clear up a question that I've had for sometime now. Schifter always claimed he was an OEM for other speaker companies. That's how I remember it at least. Being as he wasn't a partner in Sound Art and the Cali operation came very late in the game I'm assuming then that this was just more lies. Did he make speakers for other companies and who were the companies? I always thought this might be one reason for delays in delivering his own speakers because he was utilizing his "factories" for others.
Quad should be able to fill us in:

AV123 builds cabinets for more than 30 other speaker manufacturers around the world.

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
Mark was very good at using indirect deception in public (hinting at things but never quite saying them directly), but he was even better at embellishing those deceptions privately with outright, detailed lies to folks who corresponded directly with him. And since most of the time he shielded those lies with statements like "don't tell anybody, this is inside information" that both reinforced his lies and compartmentalized them.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My secondary problem with all of the crap Mark has been doing over the years is that he singlehandedly caused damage to all of the ID companies out there and destroyed his own.

I like how he has these little "they will get theirs" comments, suggesting that someone else was responsible for his problems :rolleyes: I just hope he FULLY gets his.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis