highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
What HTPC cases have you seen that are made for equipment racks, like Middle Atlantic, Atlas, etc? I don't think I would want to give up more than 3RU but I guess I could always get a larger one.

itschris

itschris

Check out these very sleek cases by AUMRO
Hmmm... these look eerily familar. There was a company called Omaura that showed a lot of promise about a year or so ago. They had major quality control issues and just couldn't seem to bring the product here to fulfill their orders and the ones that did make had a lot of issues.

This looks to be a reincarnation. Even the model numbers are the same. I'm not sure if they are the same company still or what, but I'll try to dig a little to see what I can find. Everyone was really excited because they were pretty slick looking boxes. Perhaps they got their act together.

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
Some of the nicest cases I have seen. On the spendy side and using 100% passive cooling for the most silent HTPC ever.

http://www.atechfabrication.com/HTPC_cases.htm
They are extremely good looking cases, but 100% passive cooling just doesn't work. That is to say, your components will run hot, very hot. Without some sort of airflow you can expect to have a small furnace on your hands.

If they attach the heat pipes to the case, which they look like they do, and you have sufficient airflow then the system would work fine. However you're still going to need some sort of fan system to cool the case.

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
What HTPC cases have you seen that are made for equipment racks, like Middle Atlantic, Atlas, etc? I don't think I would want to give up more than 3RU but I guess I could always get a larger one.
My first thought was a simple server chassis, then I remembered few of them come with native ROM drive support, and they're notoriously loud until you get to the 4U size. I suppose if you were going to mount it into your rack that you probably wouldn't need a ROM drive, but hey who knows.

The thing with HTPC cases is you want one big enough to allow 120mm fans, but not one too big that it looks like you slapped a desktop case on your other equipment.

I found this sucker today, and it looks pretty awesome
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=41910&vpn=HTPC-8000&manufacture=NMedia System

itschris

itschris

Hmmm... these look eerily familar. There was a company called Omaura that showed a lot of promise about a year or so ago. They had major quality control issues and just couldn't seem to bring the product here to fulfill their orders and the ones that did make had a lot of issues.

This looks to be a reincarnation. Even the model numbers are the same. I'm not sure if they are the same company still or what, but I'll try to dig a little to see what I can find. Everyone was really excited because they were pretty slick looking boxes. Perhaps they got their act together.

Got some info...
They seem to have a couple websites:
http://www.aumro.com
http://www.aumro.co.uk
http://www.karmadigital.com/

And on http://www.aumro.co.uk/news.html it even tells you about Omaura:

After a bit more Google-ing, it seems like much of the same story when they were Omaura - difficulty obtaining, spotty quality, questionable service. I have read some postive comments but it seems like more questions than answers. It's a shame really because they're really slick cases. I had placed an order for one awhile back ago when they were being offered through Dell. After 2-3 months of pushed back backorders, I cancelled. I remember hearing from the folks who did get theirs that they were largely unhappy with the quality. Maybe they've changed... I guess time will tell.

Mika75

Mika75

Audioholic
Thanks for the research Chris, I wasn't aware of the quality issues with Omauro/Aumro ..hopefully they can finally sort their stuff out, slick lookin case all the same.

All the cases mentioned here seem to be horizontal, shelf mounted design....what about something that stands upright, runs dead silent, plenty of space and exudes quality :)

Enter the Fractal Design R2

itschris

itschris

Thanks for the research Chris, I wasn't aware of the quality issues with Omauro/Aumro ..hopefully they can finally sort their stuff out, slick lookin case all the same.

All the cases mentioned here seem to be horizontal, shelf mounted design....what about something that stands upright, runs dead silent, plenty of space and exudes quality :)

Enter the Fractal Design R2

That's slick. I went with the Mozart case because I wanted it to look like a piece of gear. The case actually looks sorda like the Classe' stuff. It's nice.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That's slick. I went with the Mozart case because I wanted it to look like a piece of gear. The case actually looks sorda like the Classe' stuff. It's nice.
Sidetrack:

I was working on the TT Mozart case yesterday.

I finally switched to the Wireless-N router (tried out the Linksys N-adapter USB on the Mozart case), instead of the old Wireless-G yesterday, and man it's a lot faster.

My masterbedroom is pretty far from my computer room (w/Router, etc.). Before, I was getting like 6 mbps with the Wireless-G, now it's 114 mbps with the Wireless-N.

itschris

itschris

:D
Sidetrack:

I was working on the TT Mozart case yesterday.

I finally switched to the Wireless-N router (tried out the Linksys N-adapter USB on the Mozart case), instead of the old Wireless-G yesterday, and man it's a lot faster.

My masterbedroom is pretty far from my computer room (w/Router, etc.). Before, I was getting like 6 mbps with the Wireless-G, now it's 114 mbps with the Wireless-N.

I have to breakdown and make the switch to N. My cable and internet are from Knology. The actual cable comes in behind my TV into their proprietarty router. It's actually has the regular cable screw type RG nput. The output of course is the RJ-45 which goes into my wiresless router. I need to upgrade. I have a my two printers setup on a wireless router print server thing in the office. I'm not sure what that is... it's not N I know that. It took forever to get that to work so I'm not anxious to mess with it but my desktop is hooked to that as well so I'll need to change that out though I'm not sure if it needs to remain connected to my desktop to do the wireless printing. I guess I can always add a usb wireless adapter to it and make it happen.

What router did yuo go with?

btw - I knew it was only a matter of time until you got tired of the Mozart and moved on to something bigger and better.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
:D

I have to breakdown and make the switch to N. My cable and internet are from Knology. The actual cable comes in behind my TV into their proprietarty router. It's actually has the regular cable screw type RG nput. The output of course is the RJ-45 which goes into my wiresless router. I need to upgrade. I have a my two printers setup on a wireless router print server thing in the office. I'm not sure what that is... it's not N I know that. It took forever to get that to work so I'm not anxious to mess with it but my desktop is hooked to that as well so I'll need to change that out though I'm not sure if it needs to remain connected to my desktop to do the wireless printing. I guess I can always add a usb wireless adapter to it and make it happen.

What router did yuo go with?

btw - I knew it was only a matter of time until you got tired of the Mozart and moved on to something bigger and better.:D
I was going to get that very highly rated D-Link N-gigabit router on amazon for around $86 (msrp was like $120?), but I was at Wal-Mart and they had the Linksys N160 ($60) router, so I got that instead.:D

Impulse buy, I guess.:D

There's always something bigger, better, and faster, right?:D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was going to get that very highly rated D-Link N-gigabit router on amazon for around $86 (msrp was like $120?), but I was at Wal-Mart and they had the Linksys N160 ($60) router, so I got that instead.
Well, I've decided to return the Linksys to Wal-Mart (connection issues) and get the D-Link 655 Gigabit Router from Amazon.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis