TV Suggestions for $1300 max budget ?

E

erock9174

Audioholic Intern
The budget for my new TV is going to be about $1300.

It will be in my basement (hardly any light) and hooked up to my PS3 and my Onkyo HTS7200 (7.1) system.

I could care less if its Plasma or LCD. Just want the best TV for the money. Also size wise I'd like to stay in the 46-52" range. I think 55" will be too big as the couch is only about 12' away from where the TV will be.

Any suggestions is appreciated.

I saw HH Gregg has a 46" Toshiba LCD LED 240hz on sale this week for $1299. Seemed like a pretty good deal for an LED of that size.

Also seems you can get a much bigger plasma for the same money.
Curious why they are cheaper than LCD?

SopRage

SopRage

Audioholic
Definitely save up that extra $200. I only sit 8' from my 58" S1 and it's certainly not "too big."

Awesome TV.

E

erock9174

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the suggestion but I have to stay within my budget of $1300. Luckily the wife is letting me spend that much, lol

Plus the cabinet we plan to buy won't house a 58" or bigger.

E

erock9174

Audioholic Intern
out of curiosity and this might be the wrong place to discuss but why is everybody so high on Panasonic's on this site ?

I always thought of them as low end TVs. I thought Samsung and Toshiba were supposed to be the higher end stuff. Or is Panasonic a good bang for the buck ?

Not bashing Panny, just curious cause I've been reading alot of posts on here and it seems people are really high on them.

I checked out Consumer Reports and they seem to like them too.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
out of curiosity and this might be the wrong place to discuss but why is everybody so high on Panasonic's on this site ?

I always thought of them as low end TVs. I thought Samsung and Toshiba were supposed to be the higher end stuff. Or is Panasonic a good bang for the buck ?

Not bashing Panny, just curious cause I've been reading alot of posts on here and it seems people are really high on them.

Performance, Price, and reliability;)

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General

Cuz they're good! Performance second only to Pioneer (which is leaving the market), good price, and great reliability.

I don't actually know how the current year models of Samsung, etc., plasma TVs compare to the current year models of Panasonic plasmas (after buying my TV, I stopped paying close attention), but Panasonic has long been the default plasma recommendation here and elsewhere (if you didn't want to cough up the extra dough for a Pioneer).

So, my advice: Get the biggest Panny Plasma you can find under $1300. At 12 feet, do not worry about "too big". You'd have to go to a projector screen for it to be "too big".

Last edited:
jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I used to be high on Panasonic plasmas, but since the black level issue creeped up and they don't even seem to think it's a problem, I will definitely not be buying Panasonic in the forseeable future.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I used to be high on Panasonic plasmas, but since the black level issue creeped up and they don't even seem to think it's a problem, I will definitely not be buying Panasonic in the forseeable future.
:rolleyes: not good advice at all;) It is non issue on some models and the others still represent the the best performance despite of the "known rise". You name a display that has the black levels of the S1 after a year of use other than Pioneer and that will be the recommended display:)

edit: Measured levels after the rises are still excellent.

E

erock9174

Audioholic Intern
Can somebody help me differentiate between the different Panasonic models?

I see S1 series, S14 series and G10 series.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
S14 is lowest line of the three: standard plasma cells, the S1 and on up use the NeoPDP. It also loses some other minor feature or two, can't recall.

G10's advantages over s1 include extra HDMI input, THX mode, some more advanced consumer level pic control, possibly better OTB performance.

IMO, the main reason to get the G10 is to have access to THX mode.

OTOH, you can do a lot with any of the displays if you research SM offsets, let alone getting a pro level calibration, with colorimeter/spectroradiometer and accompanying software.

SopRage

SopRage

Audioholic
What Jostenmeat said. Here's a comparison chart for all the niggling differences.

I still think the S1 is the sweet spot of the Pansonic line. The G10's only significant difference for most consumers is that THX mode. Unless you watch TV in a room with little to no ambient light, many people say it's a bit dimmer than they care for.

The S1 series can have an excellent picture if you calibrate it with any of the several discs that get mentioned around here. Actually, I remember a couple of people suggested buying an S1 instead of a G10 and using the money they saved for professional calibration (which should get a superior picture to even the THX mode).

E

erock9174

Audioholic Intern
cool, thanks for the info guys.
i appreciate it.

E

erock9174

Audioholic Intern
ok so my next question.

With my buddy's employee discount with Panny he can get me the 58" S1 or the 50" G10 for roughly $1300. Which would you guys select? Lower level model and bigger ? or Higher level unit and 8" smaller ?

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Depends on how much of a stickler you are for black levels and stuff. I'd probably do the S1 because of the distance.

SopRage

SopRage

Audioholic
Unless you can't live without that "THX Mode," go for the 58".

C

CypherMax

Junior Audioholic
Unless you can't live without that "THX Mode," go for the 58".
I agree go with the S1. It makes more sense to go with the bigger screen and you can tweak the S1 to look really good! THX your just buying the name and a preset not worth it in my opinion.

P

popotoys

Audioholic
S1 and have it calibrated.

But consider this, is your couch against the back wall? You may want to be a hair smaller and move the couch forward. This would be a better option in regards to sound quality.

FYI, I have a 65" and sit 11 feet away and it is by no means to larger. For your distance, you will get use to a 58" in a couple of hours.

E

erock9174

Audioholic Intern
Looks like its the 58" S1 for me.

HH Gregg was able to match the Panasonic Company discount of $1342 and it's in stock. Now I have to try and fit the box in my Honda Element. I have about 40 1/8" height and the box according to Panny is 40.1"
so I will be pushing it lol
I might need to pursuade it in there.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis