Focal Solo6 vs. Paradigm S2 vs. Salk SongTower Pt1

jsalk

jsalk

Enthusiast
I have read this thread with great interest (as you might imagine) and thought perhaps a few comments might be in order.

First, a big thanks to KEW for taking the time to do this write-up. Much appreciated. Second, my response here may be a little long winded - my apologies in advance.

As I've said many times in the past, speaker design is all about balancing trade-offs. Take tweeters for example.

Traditional dome tweeters are very popular as they generally have very good dispersion characteristics. Larger dome tweeters are quite popular since they can be crossed over lower allowing for woofers that can play deeper. But this is generally at the expense of performance higher up. (Which is why we use a 3/4" dome tweeter rather than a 1" in our standard SongTowers.) But even the best silk dome can only deliver so much detail.

In an effort to generate greater detail on the top end, some manufacturers utilize metal dome tweeters. These tweeters offer similar dispersion characteristics but gain the advantage of greater detail and extension on the top end.

This added performance, however, can come at a price. Many near-field monitors used in the recording industry, for example, take advantage of the top end response of a metal dome in order to produce more detail - an advantage in a mixing or mastering situation where you want to hear all the detail in a recording. But as anyone who has spent a full day mixing on these monitors can tell you (I spent about 35 years in recording studios), they can be a bit fatiguing. The detail they provide sounds glorious at first, but can be hard to listen to for extended periods.

One solution is to pad the tweeter down a little and this is often done. But the FR is no longer flat and you give up some of the high end detail that the driver could otherwise provide. So its a trade-off.

Another approach to providing enhanced high end detail is through the use of a ribbon tweeter. You can generally voice a good ribbon flat and there is no hint of long-term fatigue. The trade-off is somewhat more limited dispersion.

In the early days of ribbons, limited dispersion was a real problem. Today's better ribbons use shorter ribbon elements and some are horn loaded. These (like the LCY tweeters used in the SongTower RT version) tend to have good dispersion characteristics that approach that of a traditional dome tweeter.

When we first same out with the SongTowers, we used the 3/4" Hiquphon silk dome tweeter - one of the finest traditional domes available. The off-axis response of the resulting speaker was so good, we actually published an FR graph at 60-degrees off axis.

As the model gained popularity, we received quite a few requests for the same speaker with the added detail of a ribbon tweeter. So we came out with the RT version to address this need. While the off-axis response was somewhat more limited, most of our owners listen on-axis or relatively close. So the more limited dispersion, for these customers, is not an issue. They wanted a speaker with a very detailed and transparent top end and we felt that this was the best solution available.

What implications might this have on proper speaker set-up? Well, the midwoofers used in this design have extremely good dispersion characteristics. So with the RT version of the SongTower, I would start with no toe-in at all. The pinpoint imaging should still be quite good, but the soundstage should be quite a bit wider. I would only toe the speakers in if improvements in imaging were required.

I noticed in the write-up that the SongTowers were toed-in more than the other speakers. In theory at least (every set-up will be somewhat different) SongTower RT's are one model that would benefit from less or no toe-in.

Switching gear, let's consider the mid-bass/bass response.

My first comment would be that the bass in the SongTowers is not exaggerated in any way. The SongTowers use a mass-loaded quarter wave TL design (pioneered by Martin King) to extend the bass response of the system. This method takes advantage of the energy generated by the rear of the woofer cones to excite air in a chamber that is tuned to reinforce the bass response under the F3 one would normally obtain in a ported cabinet. When the output of the cabinet terminus combines with the output of the midwoofers themselves, the bass response is extended. Normally, you would obtain an F3 of around 50Hz with the SongTower midwoofers in a ported cabinet. But by utilizing quarter wave resonance, we were able to extend this response to 38Hz. In the process, no attempt was made to "tip up" or artificially exaggerate the bass response in this design. The SongTowers were designed to be extremely flat and accurate in terms of bass response.

Another poster commented on active amplification vs. a receiver. I can only speculate here. Customers who have typical receivers of this type are normally extremely please with the performance of their SongTowers. But we have had many owners upgrade to separates and report a significant performance increase, especially in the area of tighter and more articulate mid-bass/bass.

This is most likely due to a number of factors including a more robust power supply and better woofer control. Keep in mind here that the lower the speaker plays, the more power is required of the amp/power supply combination. While the amplifier circuits in a receiver can deliver the rated power, the power supply may not be able to supply the instantaneous power required to keep transients tight and articulate.

I saw a very interesting demonstration a few years ago. An RMS and peak-reading meter were both set up on an amplifier driving a pair of speakers. While listening to music, the RMS (average) meter ran about 5 - 8 watts at normal volumes. But, at the same time, the peak meter often hit 250 or more watts during transients (drum hits and the like). If the amplifier circuits and power supply cannot deliver the peak power demanded by these transients, the quality of response can suffer. This is often the case with receivers whose power supplies tend to be less robust. And that is why owners who upgrade to separates perceive an increase in sound quality.

I don't know what difference it would have made in this case, but I would assume that a high quality amp would have significantly improved the performance of the two speakers being powered by the receiver.

On a completely unrelated note, WrpDrv commented...

Not sure I could stomach the presence of HT4's in my house - they just look way too darn goofy to me, but the eye is in the beholder, and I wonder if they will be worth the entrance fee.
First, congrats on your new speakers! Enjoy!

As for your comment, I fully understand that the HT4 design might not appeal to you - tastes do vary. But I should explain that the look of the HT4 was not done for aesthetic or design reasons. Each element of the design was done because we felt it was the best way to do it.

For example, we wanted as little enclosure around the tweeter as possible. So you see very little baffle around the tweeter front edges and the enclosure tapers away as soon as it clears the tweeter body. This allows for maximum tweeter dispersion. The midrange enclosure is open backed and is radiused on the sides to transition from the narrow tweeter section down to the wider woofer cabinet. The woofer cabinet on the 12" is much larger and is radiused on the top to come up and meet the upper midrange/tweeter section.

I could go into more detail, but in short, every part of these cabinets was designed to optimize the performance of the drivers. They look like what they look like because that is the way they had to be built to meet our performance criteria. No compromises were made for design/aesthetic purposes.

The same was true for the drivers. Each driver was chosen with regard to performance. No consideration was given to cost. The net result is that this is a very expensive speaker.

As for whether or not someone feels paying this much for a speaker is justifiable, the only thing I can say is that these speakers are essentially flat from about 18Hz to 60KHz. Their on-axis response and 30-degree off axis response look nearly identical. They can handle any program material with minimal distortion and do a complete disappearing act. For me, this is the speaker I have been wanting all my life. It was well worth the effort and we feel it represents an incredible value (of course, we are extremely biased).

The fortunate thing is that we have so many good choices.

Once again, sorry for the long-windedness and thanks again to KEW for taking the time to give us a listen.

- Jim

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
On a completely unrelated note, WrpDrv commented...

Not sure I could stomach the presence of HT4's in my house - they just look way too darn goofy to me, but the eye is in the beholder, and I wonder if they will be worth the entrance fee.
First, congrats on your new speakers! Enjoy!

As for your comment, I fully understand that the HT4 design might not appeal to you - tastes do vary. But I should explain that the look of the HT4 was not done for aesthetic or design reasons. Each element of the design was done because we felt it was the best way to do it.

- Jim
Jim, thanks for stopping in and posting your comments on the ST's heritage and design, you are extremely well respected in the audio community, and as well by me for designing and building speakers that IMO are incredible which is very rare, and not only the spectacular sound - the ability to work with your customer on an individual basis for a truly custom speaker if one so chooses... that is unheard of these days...

Seems my comment was not well spoken... I didn't mean to sound rude, my apologies - I meant no offense, and it was not meant to come out that way - I have no qualms thinking that the HT4's sound incredible - and the design was extremely well thought out with money no object intended. Obviously the look is not for everyone...

I truly love the Salk products to be certain and have written about them multiple times, Brandon/Nuance has had his RT - ST's at my house a few times now for speaker shootouts, and I have been to TJHUB/Terrys house to listen to the HT2-TL's - they are both phenomenal products and down right beautiful, in fact I started a thread on audiocircle in the Salk forum - contemplating either the Paradigm Sigs, or going with Salk's.... there was some criteria in question as to my application which ultimately led me down the road I chose, my point being - your speakers are so highly regarded by me that it truly came down to the 2 choices. The Sigs just happened to fit my situation a bit better.

Believe me when I say I will continue to recommend Salk products as I truly love what they bring to the world of audio - you and your products are one of a kind... and also as a business owner, I am proud to see Salk Sound doing so well in this rugged economy... Congrats... !!!

Patrick

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
What implications might this have on proper speaker set-up? Well, the midwoofers used in this design have extremely good dispersion characteristics. So with the RT version of the SongTower, I would start with no toe-in at all. The pinpoint imaging should still be quite good, but the soundstage should be quite a bit wider. I would only toe the speakers in if improvements in imaging were required.

I noticed in the write-up that the SongTowers were toed-in more than the other speakers. In theory at least (every set-up will be somewhat different) SongTower RT's are one model that would benefit from less or no toe-in.
I remember from the Oregon GTG that all the Salk speakers were demoed with no toe-in. Even then the imaging was great and the soundstage huge. Goes without saying that the dedicated Averagejoe HT had great acoustics.

I could go into more detail, but in short, every part of these cabinets was designed to optimize the performance of the drivers. They look like what they look like because that is the way they had to be built to meet our performance criteria. No compromises were made for design/aesthetic purposes.

The same was true for the drivers. Each driver was chosen with regard to performance. No consideration was given to cost. The net result is that this is a very expensive speaker.

...They can handle any program material with minimal distortion and do a complete disappearing act. For me, this is the speaker I have been wanting all my life. It was well worth the effort and we feel it represents an incredible value (of course, we are extremely biased).
I can corroborate this. Granted that I am no expert and my experience with good sound is somewhat limited, but the Soundscape Speakers sounded absolutely amazing when demoed during the Oregon GTG. The Soundscape demo has become my reference for a "money no object" 2.0 setup.

jsalk

jsalk

Enthusiast
WrpDrv -

Seems my comment was not well spoken... I didn't mean to sound rude, my apologies - I meant no offense, and it was not meant to come out that way - I have no qualms thinking that the HT4's sound incredible - and the design was extremely well thought out with money no object intended. Obviously the look is not for everyone
Don't give it another thought - absolutely no offense taken. I just thought that for the benefit of those who may not be aware of the design, I might point out why they look like they do and why we made the decisions we did.

And, again, congrats on your new speakers. I am sure they will perform very well for you.

- Jim

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
You only mentioned the Focal tweeter. Have you listened to Paradigm's Be tweeter?
No, and I don't make any presumptions about Paradigm's version with Be, because I know the material of the driver is just one of many factors in what we hear.

For the B&W 800 series, is it the D series, the S series, or both that you liked?
Thanks!
Both. I at one point was leaning extremely hard to the 804s. I found the high end to have a coloration that I would describe as a bit "dry". It was my only complaint, and did just about everything else superbly. I think they imaged better than any other speaker at that price point that I heard. I was feeding the system my cd's, and the speakers were quite far apart, I'm pretty sure significantly more than 60 degrees, and I actually put my ear to the center speaker to be sure it wasn't on, which it wasn't. The customer who came into that room later did the exact same thing to my amusement (I noticed while I was speaking with the dealer), and I let the customer know that I just did the exact same thing.

The cabinet seems to be the most solidly built at the price point that I've seen as well. I think I could damage quite a few speakers I've seen with my fist, but if I tried that with 804, my hand would be in a cast; the knuckle rap test, while not indicative of all the resonances we can hear, was very impressive.

I've heard the D series in more than one store, and I don't think I've ever heard such different results due to the rooms. One was so bad that I actually asked if the tweeters were damaged. The other of course sounded fantastic, but the auditions weren't involved (with multiple cd's, while taking notes), because it was past my price point. If I did it all over again, there is a bit of chance that I would have held out for 803Ds at a very good price on the classifieds. They're not the 802d, but the cheapest I've ever seen those on the gon is probably 9k.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Damn Warp those are freakin sexy beasts.I don't like you at the moment................:DHow much more were the B&W's?
Thanks Jamie.... the S8's are fantastic... I have been just smiling from ear to ear all afternoon.....

My dealer is a huge B&W fanboy, and just loves the 802D's and rightly so.... they are great speakers !!! The R2-D2's are priced at $14000 a pair... :eek:

His comments...
Wonderful! They passed all "tests!" At home I listen mostly to classical music. In the car I'm more upbeat- with the lady singers. At the shop, it's whatever my customers want! So ultimately, I get to hear a wide variety- nice benefit of the job!

They have wonderful presence- a very large and open sound- big image! thanks for the opportunity to hear them here.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Jim,
Thanks for your post!

....In an effort to generate greater detail on the top end, some manufacturers utilize metal dome tweeters. These tweeters offer similar dispersion characteristics but gain the advantage of greater detail and extension on the top end.

This added performance, however, can come at a price. Many near-field monitors used in the recording industry, for example, take advantage of the top end response of a metal dome in order to produce more detail - an advantage in a mixing or mastering situation where you want to hear all the detail in a recording. But as anyone who has spent a full day mixing on these monitors can tell you (I spent about 35 years in recording studios), they can be a bit fatiguing. The detail they provide sounds glorious at first, but can be hard to listen to for extended periods.

One solution is to pad the tweeter down a little and this is often done. But the FR is no longer flat and you give up some of the high end detail that the driver could otherwise provide. So its a trade-off.
I would say the same about fatigue for all metal tweeters I had heard before the Paradigm Be and Focal Be. I subscribe to the belief that tension derived from distortion is the cause of fatigue, and for me, none of these three tweeters cause the tension I begin to feel when listening to other metal tweeters.
To my ear, the Paradigm Be and the ST ribbon sound almost identical, so I am very curious to know if you have had the chance to listen to the Paradigm Be.

....What implications might this have on proper speaker set-up? Well, the midwoofers used in this design have extremely good dispersion characteristics. So with the RT version of the SongTower, I would start with no toe-in at all. The pinpoint imaging should still be quite good, but the soundstage should be quite a bit wider. I would only toe the speakers in if improvements in imaging were required.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this as soon as I got home and it definitely widened the soundstage! :)
Unfortunately, my weekend is booked.

Another poster commented on active amplification vs. a receiver. I can only speculate here. Customers who have typical receivers of this type are normally extremely please with the performance of their SongTowers. But we have had many owners upgrade to separates and report a significant performance increase, especially in the area of tighter and more articulate mid-bass/bass.

This is most likely due to a number of factors including a more robust power supply and better woofer control. Keep in mind here that the lower the speaker plays, the more power is required of the amp/power supply combination. While the amplifier circuits in a receiver can deliver the rated power, the power supply may not be able to supply the instantaneous power required to keep transients tight and articulate.

I saw a very interesting demonstration a few years ago. An RMS and peak-reading meter were both set up on an amplifier driving a pair of speakers. While listening to music, the RMS (average) meter ran about 5 - 8 watts at normal volumes. But, at the same time, the peak meter often hit 250 or more watts during transients (drum hits and the like). If the amplifier circuits and power supply cannot deliver the peak power demanded by these transients, the quality of response can suffer. This is often the case with receivers whose power supplies tend to be less robust. And that is why owners who upgrade to separates perceive an increase in sound quality.

I don't know what difference it would have made in this case, but I would assume that a high quality amp would have significantly improved the performance of the two speakers being powered by the receiver.
I have given this a lot of thought since Swerd's post which questioned the Marantz receiver's ability. I generally believe that the Marantz was never pushed hard because I listen at 65-75dB SPL and it is designed to power 7 channels while I only used two. However, it did bother me that Marantz does not provide detailed specifications such as damping factor, rise time, slew rate, etc.
I can try a separate stereo amp to power the passive speakers.

The fortunate thing is that we have so many good choices.
Once again, sorry for the long-windedness and thanks again to KEW for taking the time to give us a listen.
- Jim
Thank you for producing several of those good choices!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Audition with alternate amplifier

I have given this a lot of thought since Swerd's post which questioned the Marantz receiver's ability. I generally believe that the Marantz was never pushed hard because I listen at 65-75dB SPL and it is designed to power 7 channels while I only used two. However, it did bother me that Marantz does not provide detailed specifications such as damping factor, rise time, slew rate, etc.
I can try a separate stereo amp to power the passive speakers.
I routed the preamp output of the Marantz Receiver1 into an Adcom GFA545 mkII stereo amp and then to the SongTowers or the S2's (I had no way to switch quickly between the passive speakers, so could only A-B them one at a time against the Solo6's). The Solo6's continued to be noticeably quicker than the others.
Having no way to switch quickly between them, I could not tell whether the Adcom provided better sound that the Marantz. The Adcom is a 100WPC RMS (which is the rating of the Marantz) stereo power amp which has a solid reputation.

I revisited:
1) the staccato guitar starting at 0:15 in Track4, “Peg” of Steely Dan’s “Aja”,
2) Chris Squires "growling" bass on Yes - "Fragile" - "Heart of the Sunrise", and
3) the "blatt" and timbre of aggressive trombone and lower saxophones from Ed Palermo's Big Band.
The same differences I experienced using the receiver alone to power these speakers existed with the Adcom. The Solo6's

I wonder if the difference in speed can be attributed to the Solo6's having a line-level crossover configured upstream of the amps.

Last edited:
B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
Kew - thanks for the review.
For me Solo6 would be the choice - I am (heavily) biased towards active crossover (and active monitors). Nice review.
I would recommend you listen to some classical piano (rachmanninoff) and violin (pagannini) _ I usually use Teldec or Deutche Gramophone;

Last edited:
N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
I wonder if the difference in speed can be attributed to the Solo6's having a line-level crossover configured upstream of the amps.
Good question.

Anyway, great write-up KEW! I love reading comparo's like this. :)

As for the amplification, technically if you want apples to apples the amps in the active speaker would have to be used for the S2's and ST's. Obviously this isn't possible, so it is what it is. Swapping to the Adcom was a good idea, but it still provides less power to the speakers than the Solo6's amps, plus the Solo6's didn't just have one amp for all drivers, which is what the S2's and ST's were limited to.

In short, its not an apples to apples comparison as far as amps go. Would it really make that much of a difference? I doubt it, but really, who knows?

Again, great write-up.

So you're keeping all three speakers, or just the Solo6's and Sig 2's? Hopefully soon warpdrv and I will get a chance to compare the Sig 2's and SongTower RT's. Both retail for about the same price, so it should be interesting. I've heard both and like both very much; can't wait!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Good question.

Anyway, great write-up KEW! I love reading comparo's like this. :)

As for the amplification, technically if you want apples to apples the amps in the active speaker would have to be used for the S2's and ST's. Obviously this isn't possible, so it is what it is. Swapping to the Adcom was a good idea, but it still provides less power to the speakers than the Solo6's amps, plus the Solo6's didn't just have one amp for all drivers, which is what the S2's and ST's were limited to.

In short, its not an apples to apples comparison as far as amps go. Would it really make that much of a difference? I doubt it, but really, who knows?

Again, great write-up.

So you're keeping all three speakers, or just the Solo6's and Sig 2's? Hopefully soon warpdrv and I will get a chance to compare the Sig 2's and SongTower RT's. Both retail for about the same price, so it should be interesting. I've heard both and like both very much; can't wait!
Thanks for your comments!
It would be nice to do more, but the Adcom was the most practical solution I could offer. This speed difference has really piqued my curiosity.

I had read that you were planning to compare the ST's and S2's. I'll be interesting to hear your (and Warpdrv, et al 's) thoughts. It is a shame you can't get a pair of Solo6's in the mix, I would love to read someone else's thoughts on them for home listening.

Ultimately, I will keep the Solo6's and the S2's. From my perspective, the dispersion of the ribbon tweeter is the reason the ST will go. Ideally, I want to have good SQ integral throughout my environment rather than it being a matter of staying in the listening zone. When you listen to the S2's, stand up and approach the speakers until your ears are 60°, even 75° off-axis. I think you'll be amazed at their off-axis presence.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
On SongTower toe-in, and notes on the Solo6's

On Jim Salk's recommendation, I squared the SongTowers to the room. This did an impressive job of widening the Soundstage. In this position the SongTowers Soundstage was slightly less wide than the S2's and wider than the Solo6's. That is a pretty substantial improvement.
On the flip side the high end did lose a little bit of "air" (which I liked).
Whereas the SongTower was originally the "closest" of the speakers, it became the "farthest" - this difference is not enough for me to rate one as better than the other in this aspect, I'm just noting what I heard.
Out of curiosity, I positioned the other speakers in a similar fashion and did not get enough of an effect to make any comment-I'm not sure it mattered.

Just some things about the Focal Solo6's I did not realize or think about when I wrote the review:

No grills - doesn't matter to me, but if I had younger kids, I might like having a grill to at least take the first hit.

Some hiss - It is not apparent in routine use, but there is hiss when the music is off and you get near.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
On Jim Salk's recommendation, I squared the SongTowers to the room. This did an impressive job of widening the Soundstage. In this position the SongTowers Soundstage was slightly less wide than the S2's and wider than the Solo6's. That is a pretty substantial improvement.
On the flip side the high end did lose a little bit of "air" (which I liked).
Whereas the SongTower was originally the "closest" of the speakers, it became the "farthest" - this difference is not enough for me to rate one as better than the other in this aspect, I'm just noting what I heard.
Out of curiosity, I positioned the other speakers in a similar fashion and did not get enough of an effect to make any comment-I'm not sure it mattered.
Is your room treated? By acoustically treating, you are given more freedom in speaker placement. For instance, without treatments, you might position for the best soundstage/imaging, but suffer more with freq response by making that adjustment. Just FWIW, and YMMV, no guarantees.

Some hiss - It is not apparent in routine use, but there is hiss when the music is off and you get near.
In my experience with those tweeters, the only recordings that are remotely possible to listen to are modern recordings. If, say, you put on a CBS remaster of Glenn Gould playing solo piano, the hiss will actually be more prominent than the music itself.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Is your room treated? In my experience with those tweeters, the only recordings that are remotely possible to listen to are modern recordings. If, say, you put on a CBS remaster of Glenn Gould playing solo piano, the hiss will actually be more prominent than the music itself.
That is interesting. What do you think is going on? Hiss in the recording that the speaker emphasizes?

I read about the hiss in a recording engineer's review, checked mine, and sure enough...

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
That is interesting. What do you think is going on? Hiss in the recording that the speaker emphasizes?
I suppose so. The hiss is very intense with an older recording, and I've heard nothing else even remotely close to that before with any other speaker ever. It's very far from enjoyable. I put on many discs with the Focal speakers, as I did with all of my serious auditions, and I remember I put on Schoenberg's Verklarte Nacht as performed by Yo Yo Ma and company (Juilliard String Quartet + Trampler), and the insane hiss is tremendously reduced, and the music can actually be enjoyed (if still very bright IMO). For it's seriously unenjoyable with my older recordings.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Is your room treated? By acoustically treating, you are given more freedom in speaker placement. For instance, without treatments, you might position for the best soundstage/imaging, but suffer more with freq response by making that adjustment. Just FWIW, and YMMV, no guarantees.
In my experience with those tweeters, the only recordings that are remotely possible to listen to are modern recordings. If, say, you put on a CBS remaster of Glenn Gould playing solo piano, the hiss will actually be more prominent than the music itself.
Here is the relevant paragraph from my original post:
Most of the listening was done with a fast response, C weighted SPL of 65-75dB. The room has wall to wall carpeting, vaulted ceiling, bed, and drapes; otherwise it is all sheetrock, glass, and hardwood furniture with ample clutter on the desk, dresser, and nightstands. No acoustic treatments have been applied. I have been listening to them for the better part of three days.
I believe one reason I listen at lower than typical SPL is because at higher SPL, the reflected sound becomes more prominent and disrupts the SQ. Many of my friends like to turn up the volume when they visit. I tolerate it (they really enjoy the sound), but I don't enjoy it.
I listened to remastered recordings of both Mingus and Brubeck (both circa 1959). They were both free of hiss.
Unfortunately, I don't have the recording you mention. However, I believe you are right - I would not be able to enjoy that recording with these speakers while I might with speakers which did not have as much high frequency extension and prominence.

G

Grantc79

Junior Audioholic
Ya know the irony of that post is that my wife actually is encouraging me to stay away from Song Towers or HT2's because she hates the look of "speakers" and she can't stand tall tower shapes hanging around.

That said she has absolutely no problem with the dwarf coffin looking HT3's and the crazy looking HT4's because she said with the veneer options and infinite possibilities for how she could make it look it really is art.

Its not often you have the wife talk you out of 3,000 dollar speakers and into 10,000 dollar speakers but I guess I'm just lucky. If only I could get Uncle Sam off my back for 5 minutes I would order a pair.

Either way I would definitely think doing the comparison with external amplification for the Paradigm and Salks would be in order. Not that I don't appreciate the review but I don't think an active speaker with amps and speakers custom selected for their purposes compares to speakers being run off of a receiver.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis