highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Yes, I liked this part
He's right. Digital recordings are far less accurate than vinyl.

not:eek:
Depends on what you're measuring. The lowest THD number I have seen for a vinyl record was 1%.

Also, calling a Pink Floyd or any other vinyl album "already perfectly mastered" is either being unaware or ignorant of the fact that a perfect master is on the master tape, not the album. Mastering for vinyl means that the mix and EQ needs to be adjusted for where the song lies on the record. At the outer areas, the highs and bass can be more neutral but near the label, the EQ must be different because the there's more inches/second of vinyl passing the needle at the outer part and less inches/second at the inner part of the groove. It's constant angular velocity but not constant linear velocity. If you listen to some of the first CDs, listen to how different the EQ is when you compare what would be the first and last songs of each side of the original album.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

I'm not sure what he "dwelves" into but I was only kidding. I don't know how to make my laptop use smilies with Firefox so sarcasm is easily mistaken for bad taste. I have a few of his recordings that came with the lump purchase of 100+ albums and the guys like to tease me about being a big fan but ... I'm really not.
Your typing says no but your eyes say yes, yes, yes.:D

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
Costco never carries anythig long term except for food items. I fail to see the analogy of Costco to Best Buy
Best Buy's dalliance with vinyl may be equally short lived unless there is sufficient sales volume and profit to be made, as is also true with Costco and most other retail establishments-does the analogy make sense now?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm away from home and I miss my album collection. I guess I'll go listen to some CD's but I'm not gonna be happy about it. :rolleyes:

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm away from home and I miss my album collection. I guess I'll go listen to some CD's but I'm not gonna be happy about it. :rolleyes:
LMFAO .. I share the pain brother. I tookposession of my house mid July, hadn't unpacked the basement yet because of electrical work that had to get done first, then had a samll flood and now weighting for the insurance company to get their act together and fix my basement so that I can install my HT/audio system again. I've been listening to mp3s on a computer :( :D

V

valvesnvinylfan

Audioholic
Dang, he's obviously swimmin' in his cash; that pic of his TT in the NY Times article is a Clearaudio Master Reference Turntable and Master TQ-1 tonearm, around $27 grand. His cartridge looks an awful lot like the older Insider Reference cart, about $8k I think when it was last offered.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
AC/DC ..package set is really cool.
$199 worth of cool. :eek:
It is cool but we already know that I'm more in line with one dollar and 99 cents. :D

If I can swing it I plan to go by my used record store today. Matter of fact I heard tell of another one in an area that I'm gonna be in later on. I am definitely stopping by an electronics shop to get some caps for a TT down that way too. I'm thinking I should just get a job at Burger Land and buy an MP3 player. :eek: :D

Less of a hassle. :p j/k (about getting a job, that is) :rolleyes:

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
$3.21 for this ... (That's an out the door price. :))

I think it's Audiofox that turned me onto the Shaded Dog LSC thing. ;)
It sounds pretty good but all I can think about is blaring this on Matt's speakers. Toward the end of the piece my neighbors are going to be dodging canon balls and looking for Quasimodo.

For the same price I also snagged this. ... and this for $5.35. :)

I'm gonna give Otis Blackwell a listen ... I knew Elvis wadn't dead! :D
... he's just black, and so is Peggy Lee for that matter.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

It sounds pretty good but all I can think about is blaring this on Matt's speakers. Toward the end of the piece my neighbors are going to be dodging canon balls and looking for Quasimodo.

yeah but it doesn't come with an actual working guitar amplifier like the AC/DC :D

I've got a London recordong of the 1812 and its amazing. One double bass in that recording has a buzzing body. Its not my speakers becuase the buzzing moved from one speaker to another when I switched the leads around.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
yeah but it doesn't come with an actual working guitar amplifier like the AC/DC :D

No problemo because I don't have an actual working guitar. :)

I've got a London recordong of the 1812 and its amazing. One double bass in that recording has a buzzing body. Its not my speakers becuase the buzzing moved from one speaker to another when I switched the leads around.
There must be a million different recordings of that. I had to look up double bass. :rolleyes: That's a snazzy one. :cool:

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic

Nice find-you've got me thinking about venturing back into the local stores to "replenish" my stock.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Christened my new home's home theater set-up (moved in July ) with this vinyl; "Willie's Blues" by Willie Dixon. I bought this album used for $10.00cdn which is a great deal for such a rare record and in such good shape. Its nearly pristine.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

dbx 2 encoded LPs

I have had an interesting few days. Member Audiofox has had some dbx 2 encoded LPs for sale. My first four arrived at the beginning of the week.

The dbx system is a 2/1 encoder and 1/2 expander on decode. The noise inherent in the medium is reduced. This also expands the available dynamic range. The downside is that any frequency response errors in code are doubled on playback. So from cutting amp, to cutter, mastering to LP playback and equalization everything has to be as near perfect as possible.

The dynamic range of dbx 2 encoded CDs is 90 db, so very comparable to CD.

I had never heard a dbx encoded LP before, though I have dbx 2 encoded tapes. Also when I was recording professionally on analog tape I used the dbx 1 professional system. So I have a lot of familiarity with the dbx code/encode system.

The LPs were phenomenal. You could hear no lead in and the lead out. It was silent. No groove noise, and no ticks and pops. The fidelity was excellent and there was no trace of end of side distortion, as groove modulation is reduced 50%. So this gives the pickup cartridge an easier time of it.

This experience was so successful, I have ordered five more discs from Audiofox.

These have been a nice addition to my audio museum, and a good demonstration of the power of the dbx system.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis