Netgear's Home Theater Internet Connection Kit

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Netgear's Home Theater Internet Connection Kit (XAV1004/XAV101) is a powerline solution much like the Belkin we reviewed last year. Both units cost $179.99, claim a throughput of 200Mbps, multiple inputs, and really easy installation. The difference? The Belkin is prettier but the Netgear Home Theater Internet Connection Kit has more inputs.

Discuss "Netgear's Home Theater Internet Connection Kit" here. Read the article.

M

m_vanmeter

Full Audioholic
"pretty"....."ugly"...... did I stumble on a group of high schoolers discussing the local fauna ?

This is supposed to be a review of technical equipment....did you even set it up and see what the throughput was ??? Does it even work ? Did multiple 120v circuits have any effect on the tiny little electrons as they flowed throughout your house ?

I know less now about the Netgear units now than I did just reading their advertisements. Thanks for a very poor attempt at a "review"

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
I found the article useful. I don't know what else you want from the review. Its a very simple device and its functions were clearly stated. I appreciate the interesting read. I'm not sure it was meant as a technical review as much as an article describing a new device.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Makin' friends again I see, Alex... :D

I think this was less of a technical "review" and more of a "first impressions" look at it. I'm sure if it garnered enough interest (which is doubtful), Tom, Gene, Clint and co. would consider a more in-depth true review of it.

But I'll bet if you whine about it a bit more, they'll look into it... :rolleyes:

M

m_vanmeter

Full Audioholic
to further "explain" my tirade, even a "first look" from Audioholics (a very tech oriented outfit) should include some statement about whether the device even works as advertised. If it was so simple and easy to set up, why not do it and check the connectivity on two completely different AC circuits on two extreme ends of a house or office. There are alot of "anything over AC power lines" devices that just plain don't work, or put out so much RFI that they seriously interfer with other electronic devices in the area.

Inquiring minds want to know..."did the ugly black box actually work ?"

ivseenbetter

ivseenbetter

Senior Audioholic
I thought the article told me what I needed for a first impression. They said it worked as well as the belkin. Anyway, any network measurments are going to be dependant on the wiring and configuration of your particular home. There was another article on here recently that laid out the reasons for this.

R

randyb

Full Audioholic
More than 1

I am assuming you could hook up more than one of these to the power grid if you had more than 4 network devices? Anyone know?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I wonder why a "review" from 2009 shows up on a front page?

krabapple

krabapple

Banned
Says 'last modified February 04, 2012'. I suspect that's why.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis