Magnolia Suprise...

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
This week I sold the Samsung LN-40A550 LCD I put in the bedroom because I really was not at all happy with the picture and never really watched it (after having plasma you can never really go back to LCD). My intention was to go to Best Buy to see the new Panasonic line of plasmas to that would replace the TH-50PX80U in the living which was going to move to the bedroom...

So, the intention was to look at the 50" and 54" G10 and V10 Plasma to disern the differences and justifiable $$ difference....that was until I wandered into the Magnolia section (I should know better :rolleyes:) just to look at which Pioneer models they had. At this point to much suprise, I am looking at the GORGEOUS Elite Pro-111FD and noticed the price of $2,400....:eek:

I figured this had to be for the display model but wanted to confirm with a sales rep...to which he informed me they actually had one in back new and sealed. Needless to say with the cash I had on hand from the Samsung I said I would take it. So I got the Kuro for $1,700...

I can't believe it still...the picture on this thing is just phenominal and cannot wait for the girlfriend to get home with her truck to go pick up. This long speil aside...there are some GREAT deals to be had right now with the models changes....especially on some plasma models....

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
Oh yeah sorry...I should keep it simple....because I had $700 in cash with from selling the old TV...

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
Thats an absolute steal for the 111. Let the tweaking begin:D
Exactly...supposedly the picture mode 'Pure' is a really good place to start. The default settings in that mode are very accurate from what I have read thus far...

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Exactly...supposedly the picture mode 'Pure' is a really good place to start. The default settings in that mode are very accurate from what I have read thus far...
the nice thing is you can start with anothers isf settings(if your not affraid of the sm), as there is almost zero variance from set to set. Id set it up for day and night veiwing first. Do you have any calibration software?

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
I don't have any calibration software, and of course they offered to do calibration but I highly doubt they do a full or acceptable job given how much they charge for the service...

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I don't have any calibration software, and of course they offered to do calibration but I highly doubt they do a full or acceptable job given how much they charge for the service...
Accutally the geek sqaud is listed on the ISF website for Houston. If you inquire make sure it is for a full ISF with cal equipment

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
You probably know more about this than me Bandphan, but the Pro-111fd has an optical sensor that automatically adjusts display settings based on room light---does this negate the need for day and night viewing settings???

Last edited:
bandphan

bandphan

Banned
You probably know more about this than me Bandphan, but the Pro-111fd has on optical sensor that automatically adjusts display settings based on room light---doe this negate the need for day and night viewing settings???

i gave you the wrong link sorry....http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1053444

As for the room sensor, it would be set to off when calibrated. Its a nice feature but you do not want the display altering settings;)

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
This week I sold the Samsung LN-40A550 LCD I put in the bedroom because I really was not at all happy with the picture and never really watched it (after having plasma you can never really go back to LCD). My intention was to go to Best Buy to see the new Panasonic line of plasmas to that would replace the TH-50PX80U in the living which was going to move to the bedroom...

So, the intention was to look at the 50" and 54" G10 and V10 Plasma to disern the differences and justifiable $$ difference....that was until I wandered into the Magnolia section (I should know better :rolleyes:) just to look at which Pioneer models they had. At this point to much suprise, I am looking at the GORGEOUS Elite Pro-111FD and noticed the price of $2,400....:eek:

I figured this had to be for the display model but wanted to confirm with a sales rep...to which he informed me they actually had one in back new and sealed. Needless to say with the cash I had on hand from the Samsung I said I would take it. So I got the Kuro for $1,700...

I can't believe it still...the picture on this thing is just phenominal and cannot wait for the girlfriend to get home with her truck to go pick up. This long speil aside...there are some GREAT deals to be had right now with the models changes....especially on some plasma models....
Well... technically you still got a Panasonic.... right? :D This is one of the late model Pioneers (made by Matsushita for Pioneer), right? Or is this a model from their last self-made units from 2008?

-Chris

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
Pioneer is not entering into a partnership with Panasonic until March 2010. All of the 9G plasmas are Pioneer made.

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
Well... technically you still got a Panasonic.... right? :D This is one of the late model Pioneers (made by Matsushita for Pioneer), right? Or is this a model from their last self-made units from 2008?

-Chris
You raise and interesting question, as I had read several places that Panasonic was building the plasma panels for Pioneer towards the end there...the PRO-111FD is the Elite 2008 model....which has carried into 2009. If the 111-FD indeed has a Pansonic built plasma unit, then I wonder what Pioneer does in terms of processing / technology that gives the elite models such noticably better performance than the vast majority of the plasma field. While at the Magnolia, I was down to choosing between the 111-FD and the new Panasonic TC-P54V10 -- of the two I thought the Pioneer was without a doubt the better display (granted calibration and proper set-up must be negated from consideration while looking at displays in a major retail store like a Magnolia -- nonetheless the question still stands)....

Last edited:
bandphan

bandphan

Banned
You raise and interesting question, as I had read several places that Panasonic was building the plasma panels for Pioneer towards the end there...the PRO-111FD is the Elite 2008 model....which has carried into 2009. If the 111-FD indeed has a Pansonic built plasma unit, then I wonder what Pioneer does in terms of processing / technology that gives the elite models such noticably better performance than the vast majority of the plasma field. While at the Magnolia, I was down to choosing between the 111-FD and the new Panasonic TC-P54V10 -- of the two I thought the Pioneer was without a doubt the better display (granted calibration and proper set-up must be negated from consideration while looking at displays in a major retail store like a Magnolia -- nonetheless the question still stands)....
Pioneer was going to be specing and buying the panel from panasonic. The processing was to be all Pioneer.

V

valvesnvinylfan

Audioholic

Wow--you got a super deal on a Pioneer panel, AND you have a truck-owning GF? My friend, you are the luckiest man on earth :)

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
Thanks man...I could not be happier with both the display and the GF as well...Still some super deals to be had on plasmas as the new models move in. I was in my local high-end store listening to speakers and when I told the salesman about the Pioneer he said that the last one Pioneer they were able to get was about 6 months ago...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis