UPS Out for Delivery...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Good News & Bad News

The good news is that I just finished installing my projector.:)

The bad news is that it only fills 110" of my 120" screen.:eek:

Oops. I guess my room is not long enough. It needs about 16 ft distance to fill a 120" screen, but my room is only about 15.5 ft long. Damn it!

So far the picture quality and brightness is outstanding. And I only have the brightness on economy (low light).:)

I would say the PQ of the projector is the same as my 62" Mitsubishi DLP 1080p HDTV. Of course, I'm not an expert.:D

Another mistake I made is the screen itself. I should have spent some money and gotten a Carada or better screen. During brighter scenes I could see some vertical lines on the left side of the screen. I guess when I buy a new house, I'll have to upgrade the screen!

So far my conclusion is that the Optoma HD81-LV has outstanding PQ and Brightness. However, placement is VERY Limited so it's definitely not for everyone.

I cannot recommend the Optoma screen. It sucks. It's a good thing I only paid $200.:D

I'll have to post some pics later.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the update! I'm glad that you got it from UPS and got it all set-up. As for the screen, I guess that you'll be entering the next Carada contest that AH holds. ;)

[Image of Greg chuckling with glee. :D]

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the update! I'm glad that you got it from UPS and got it all set-up. As for the screen, I guess that you'll be entering the next Carada contest that AH holds. ;)

[Image of Greg chuckling with glee. :D]

Yes, Greg is evil. Pure evil I tell you!

He probably did some voodo magic mumbo jumbo and caused this whole fiasco!:eek:

Yeah, I will definitely wait for a new house with a better dedicated HT room and then I'll probably spend $2K on a bigger, better screen.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
The good news is that I just finished installing my projector.:)

Oops. I guess my room is not long enough. It needs about 16 ft distance to fill a 120" screen, but my room is only about 15.5 ft long. Damn it!

So far the picture quality and brightness is outstanding. And I only have the brightness on economy (low light).:)

I would say the PQ of the projector is the same as my 62" Mitsubishi DLP 1080p HDTV. Of course, I'm not an expert.:D

Another mistake I made is the screen itself. I should have spent some money and gotten a Carada or better screen. During brighter scenes I could see some vertical lines on the left side of the screen. I guess when I buy a new house, I'll have to upgrade the screen!

So far my conclusion is that the Optoma HD81-LV has outstanding PQ and Brightness. However, placement is VERY Limited so it's definitely not for everyone.

I cannot recommend the Optoma screen. It sucks. It's a good thing I only paid $200.:D

I'll have to post some pics later.
Congrats on your projector :) :) and nicely written review ;)

ENJOY!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What kind of screen do you have?
I got the Optoma DF-GWII9120F - it's a 120" 16:9 fixed-frame screen.

Do you think my screen is just defective (vertical bands on screen)?

I will contact Optoma and see what they say.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Well, how was the movie on your new set up you RAT-Bastard???

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, how was the movie on your new set up you RAT-Bastard???
You know I watched Transformers BD with my new PJ, and I could have sworn that it sounded a lot better.:D

I already have plans for next year:

New house w/ 800 s.f. HT room + $2,000 140" Screen.
Denon AVP-A1HDCI.
I'll probably get 3 more BP7000SCs just for the hell of it.

Then I'll probably retire from all this upgrading business.

Cheers.:D

Now back to the movies.:D

ivseenbetter

ivseenbetter

Senior Audioholic
You know I watched Transformers BD with my new PJ, and I could have sworn that it sounded a lot better.:D

I already have plans for next year:

New house w/ 800 s.f. HT room + $2,000 140" Screen.
Denon AVP-A1HDCI.
I'll probably get 3 more BP7000SCs just for the hell of it.

Then I'll probably retire from all this upgrading business.

Cheers.:D

Now back to the movies.:D

Retire from upgrading!? LOL, yeah right. :D

ivseenbetter

ivseenbetter

Senior Audioholic
What? You don't think that's possible?:D

Okay, here are 4 more pics from the HD81-LV projected onto a sorry-a$$ Optoma "flagship" screen:rolleyes: :

View attachment 6258

View attachment 6259

View attachment 6260

View attachment 6261
Good luck trying to find that spot where you can stop upgrading...let me know when you find it so that I can just copy your system and go from there. :p

Is the Optoma really that bad? I have a motorized Elite and it is considered a Cheap screen. IT seems to work great for me though. Granted I haven't done much comparison but I just don't see how a screen can make too much of a difference. Probably just me oversimplifying things though.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Is the Optoma really that bad? I have a motorized Elite and it is considered a Cheap screen. IT seems to work great for me though. Granted I haven't done much comparison but I just don't see how a screen can make too much of a difference. Probably just me oversimplifying things though.
I agree with you. I don't put too much stock into screens either - as long as there are no DEFECTS on the screen like vertical/horizontal permanent lines and waves.

I've own a cheaper manual pull-down screen in the past, and it looked better than this Optoma fixed-frame! I think the problem is the rolled screen process. It caused some creases/lines on the screen. An electric/motorized or even manual spring-loaded roll-down screen would be more protected from this issue.

I talked to Optoma and I think the solution for me is to swap this fixed-frame screen for either a manual or electric screen.

Lesson learned: if you want a fixed-frame screen, buy a good quality screen from Carada, Stewart, Da-Lite, etc. Otherwise, buy an electric/motorized or manual pull-down screen.

So this Optoma Fixed-Frame screen is history!:mad:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's not about WHAT you know, but WHO you know?

Well, I talked to my friend (Optoma Director of Sales) about my problem with the fixed frame screen (vertical lines).

He then talked to his friend (Optoma Director of Customer Service).

So last night his friend just shipped me a new Optoma Electric Motorized screen (DE-GWII9120E) via UPS at no charge at all. I just tracked it on UPS. It should arrive next Monday.

Not only that, but I get to keep this other screen. I'll just donate this screen to the Salvation Army. Maybe some church could use it or something.:D

Sometimes it's not about WHAT you know, but WHO you know?:D

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Well good for you. That is very lucky. Did you friend tell him you were a mad poster on audioholics and you would bring us down on them if they didn't replace it?:D

I just purchased this from ebay today. It has everything I want and the price was right. Now all I need is the projector.:)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis