speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks Phil, just looked at the pictures above again and the dead palm fronds really look bad. Nothing like a dead plant to frame a picture:eek::p.

I'm at a pretty good place right now as the room sounds better than it looks. Cosmetic issues are much easier to fix;). My hope is that I don't get as anal about the video as I have been with the audio:eek::).
Good luck on that one. Being picky about the audio easily carries over to video and vice versa. I still just like the feel of the room as the colors kinda sets the mood if you will.

Cheers,

Phil

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
hey RMK, nice job with your room. I've complimented you a while ago at AVS, back when you "only" had dual subs. hehe. Thanks for your impressions on the improvements as well... I've been thinking about ceiling treatments for the future. I currently have two traps hidden in the front corners, and two traps on the floor, between my center and mains.

My ceiling is easily the most reflective surface. (Floor has rugs on top of carpet, and side wall has curtain). I did think about painting it black, but I couldn't get myself to do it. I have a friend who painted her room black once, not for light control, but cause she's an eccentric artist, and when she decided to change the black just did not want to come out. Which leads me to my question...

Did you consider using brown/black treatments for the ceiling? I understand matching aesthetics, but additional light control would never hurt, right? Or is there anything that would lead you to believe that darker treatments there would be actually be more detrimental? I would have an uneasy time deciding.

Thanks.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
hey RMK, nice job with your room. I've complimented you a while ago at AVS, back when you "only" had dual subs. hehe. Thanks for your impressions on the improvements as well... I've been thinking about ceiling treatments for the future. I currently have two traps hidden in the front corners, and two traps on the floor, between my center and mains.

My ceiling is easily the most reflective surface. (Floor has rugs on top of carpet, and side wall has curtain). I did think about painting it black, but I couldn't get myself to do it. I have a friend who painted her room black once, not for light control, but cause she's an eccentric artist, and when she decided to change the black just did not want to come out. Which leads me to my question...

Did you consider using brown/black treatments for the ceiling? I understand matching aesthetics, but additional light control would never hurt, right? Or is there anything that would lead you to believe that darker treatments there would be actually be more detrimental? I would have an uneasy time deciding.

Thanks.
Thanks jostenmeat,

In looking back over this thread I surprised myself with the number of equipment flips I've done over the past few years.:p I'm pretty happy now with the Audio and may need to get back to playing golf instead of playing with the system. More fresh air in that hobby.;)

Regarding your ceiling treatments question, I actually traded in three extra coffee colored panels for the off white I installed on the ceiling. GIK was very nice in letting me do this. I'm not sure that it would have made much of a difference using the coffee panels but the off white definitely blends better with the current off white ceiling. The way the ceiling panels are positioned, I do not see them when seated on the sectional and they do not pick up any reflection from the projector that is noticeable.

I installed some roller blinds behind the thick brown curtains and now have great light control in the room. My biggest concern was the white double doors as they are more in the field of vision but I really don't notice them during a movie.

The lights from my equipment cabinet are also visible and I'm sure there are some who would hate these distractions but for me it really is no big deal.

The good thing about a dedicated space is that changes are much easier to make as there are less esthetic compromises. I do want the room to look nice but that is not the main objective.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
Yeah. It is really difficult to draw the line sometimes between looks and acoustic treatments. It seems your room is definately leaning toward a more dedicated space look. If you can get away with it, all the more power to you.

I have finally convinced my wife to allow some of them in our shared space.

Now, if I can only find the time to do it.

Great job!!!! It really is a nice looking room!

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Thanks Westcott,
I’m afraid I’ve taken another step away from a combo use space. I have been finding that I can’t seem to get into a comfortable position for movie watching on the sectional couch. In fact, a lot of fidgeting and a stiff neck are very common these days when spending a couple of hours watching a movie, concert or sporting event. As the sectional was pricey and is only 9 months old switching it out for theater seats seemed wasteful. My live-in ID (Interior Decorator) solved the problem by wanting to use the sectional in another room thereby making my move to HT seating guilt free:cool:.

In keeping with my ready, fire, aim modus operandi, I found a nice red leather Berkline set on clearance and it will be delivered this weekend. I’m not too sure about the red leather, but the ID swears it will look good. Frankly I don’t much care as it was a great deal and very comfortable. Most importantly, I will be able to say good bye to the stiff neck.

Last edited:
ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Red leather will look great in there.

We were looking at the same chairs yesterday.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
Thanks Westcott,

In keeping with my ready, fire, aim modus operandi, I found a nice red leather Berkline set on clearance and it will be delivered this weekend. I’m not too sure about the red leather, but the ID swears it will look good. Frankly I don’t much care as it was a great deal and very comfortable. Most importantly, I will be able to say good bye to the stiff neck.
Make sure you only get two seats. Any more and you won't be able to readily get rid of guests who outwear their welcome!!!!:eek:

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Red leather will look great in there.

We were looking at the same chairs yesterday.
Thanks Greg, I hope so. I was sold on these as soon as my butt hit the chair. I'm 6'6" and used to things not fitting but these Berkline HT chairs fit me perfectly.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Make sure you only get two seats. Any more and you won't be able to readily get rid of guests who outwear their welcome!!!!:eek:
Thats funny ... the set I chose has only three seats but has two really large wedges and is approx 150" wide. With my daughter, the SO and me self that pretty much rules out any guests. Good thing I'm anti-social:p;).

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Here is the Berkline set I’m getting tomorrow (only in red leather).

Apparently these are an 06 style that was discontinued due to poor sales. I think they are some of the best looking seats I have seen but they are very inefficient in terms of space utilization. The large wedges take up so much space that you only get three seats in a space that would normally be four. Not an issue for me but I can see where that would be a tough sell.

Notice who's sitting in the "money seat":p

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
HT Seats

The Berklines arrived yesterday as planned and the room is looking more like a dedicated HT. They take up a lot less space than the sectional so I have room to add additional seats if necessary. The red leather is actually a little darker than the photos. I also covered the Revel in-walls metal grilles with speaker cloth. I had painted them the wall color but they never looked right, the brown speaker cloth did the trick. They now look like mini acoustic panels.

Most of the people who have seen the room think the panels are speakers anyway. One neighbor (he's kind of a blow hard) was explaining to his wife and kids (without asking me) that the panels were all speakers ... I didn't argue with him so his reputation as an expert on everything is intact:p.

We watched Master and Commander (bluray) last night and that is without a doubt the best sounding movie ever. As good as the regular DVD's DTS track was, the DTS Master HD track on the bluray is just amazing:eek::D.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Very nice! Looks quite a bit more streamlined/cleaner now, IMO. Let alone more comfortable.

Ever feel like sitting in the middle, and saying "Captain's Log, Stardate..." or, "Make it so, #1"? :p

Heh, theater seats are so great, I've been thinking of getting that type for my stereo seat. Cupholders should be a requisite!

W

westcott

Audioholic General
It's official!!!!

You have crossed over to the dedicated home theater.

I am glad that it all worked out for you. Comfort is often overlooked and it is fortunate your SO was able to fit your other furniture into another room.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Congratulations!!!!!

P.S. Wish I lived near Carmichael. I would love to spend a few hours enjoying your system.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, yeah. That's the stuff! My jealousy grows a bit more every time I visit this thread... :)

Matt34

Matt34

I really like those! My wife probably won't though; she doesn't like leather seats hence why I went with the suede.

I take it that is a power cord running to them on the left side. Are they power recline also or just for the lighted cup holders?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Wow nice addition. I like them much better than the couch you had before. Did you get the "money seat" or did you give that up to the wife?

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Thanks Guys

It is much more comfortable for me but the SO isn't sold on HT seats. She was uncomfortable last night during M&C (think princess and the pea;)) so I'm going to have to find something seat wise that works better for her. But these seats are definitely staying.

It's official!!!!

You have crossed over to the dedicated home theater.

I am glad that it all worked out for you. Comfort is often overlooked and it is fortunate your SO was able to fit your other furniture into another room.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Congratulations!!!!!

P.S. Wish I lived near Carmichael. I would love to spend a few hours enjoying your system.
Thanks Westcott, yes I've crossed over to the Dark (room:p) Side. If you (or any of you guys) are ever in the area, you are more than welcome to visit.

I take it that is a power cord running to them on the left side. Are they power recline also or just for the lighted cup holders?
Yup, power on the ends but the middle seat is manual (it was a floor model group that I got cheap). Lighted cup holders all around and actually, I like the non-powered better and it's just a coincidence that it is the money seat ;).

Last edited:
Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Nice seating.... Now all you need to make it complete is some speakers and a few subs... :rolleyes:;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis