which speaker is good on classical music?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fredk

Audioholic General
To the OP, my appologies. This thread really got derailed.

Chris. Relax nobody here challenges your knowledge, nor was I, in my original post, challenging Andrew's. There are, however, others who also have a high level of knowledge, that do not always agree with your position.

In science, there is always disagreement and variation in conclusions. Perceptaul (credible and otherwise) research is a current body of knowledge not immutable set of facts carved in stone and should be discussed as such.

Back to the OP. There are lots of good suggestions for speakers in this thread. Go out and listen and trust your ears.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
He is right in saying that we are hijacking the thread... so let me see if I can sum without furthering the tangent.

We both agree that, where sound comes out (on-axis, off axis, or omni-access) the fidelity (in whatever measurement you want to use) is very important.

We disagree that having reflected sound in a room is preferred to not when it comes to accurately reproducing a source sound.

I suspect we agree on more than we disagree on even within that (I agree that the presence of off-axis sound is inevitable as is sound reflection, we disagree on whether that should be desired to improve "sound quality" or whether it's a detriment that, at best, can be taken advantage of).

For the money involved, I am more than a little tempted to grab a pair of the speakers you recommended. I'd love to hear them and I'm sure I can find them a home somewhere in my house.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I suspect we agree on more than we disagree on even within that (I agree that the presence of off-axis sound is inevitable as is sound reflection, we disagree on whether that should be desired to improve "sound quality" or whether it's a detriment that, at best, can be taken advantage of).
To put it more in perspective, you disagree with Floyd Toole, the researcher that concluded that the presence of that off axis sound contributes to sound quality in the ways I have specified.

For the money involved, I am more than a little tempted to grab a pair of the speakers you recommended. I'd love to hear them and I'm sure I can find them a home somewhere in my house.
Just remember, if you do this, that I recommend these on the price point, and these should be used with stereo subwoofers, due to the limited LF extension. Also, certain basic 'fixes' should be effected on these speakers to prevent possible air leak and a possible point that may vibrate/rattle internally. Details available upon request.

-Chris

the grunt

the grunt

Audioholic
Fredk said:
In science, there is always disagreement and variation in conclusions. Perceptaul (credible and otherwise) research is a current body of knowledge not immutable set of facts carved in stone and should be discussed as such.
Spot on Fred.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
There are, however, others who also have a high level of knowledge, that do not always agree with your position.

Back to the OP. There are lots of good suggestions for speakers in this thread. Go out and listen and trust your ears.
The information I give is based on the current understanding/conclusions of the most credible researchers(that is, the ones with the most exhaustive/careful conclusions in regards to statistical validity and proper experimentation protocols).

That's all I have to say in regards to this issue.

-Chris

C

crazyd1415

Enthusiast
kinda late in here but a general question. if a speaker plays classical music well would it not be good for all types of music minus perhaps how low they can go.

J

jamie2112

Banned
kinda late in here but a general question. if a speaker plays classical music well would it not be good for all types of music minus perhaps how low they can go.
Thats a loaded question right there my friend......but generally that would not be the case.....I would think a good classical speaker should reproduce really low frequencies. And in that case should be able to handle rock reggae and hip hop as well????? That is of course my view askewed.....

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
start at the begining, its about a reproduction of the original recording, including instrument placement and spatial feeling, not just "good speakers".

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
if a speaker plays classical music well would it not be good for all types of music.
I would say that is an accurate statement.

A good classical speaker should be one (IMO) that can produce a large soundstage. Also the clarity, and detail of the speaker should be superb. The bass extension should be super-tight, and always distortion-free. The highs should be smooth, and the mids articulate. The speaker should provide a wide, even dispersion of all frequencies.

L

louisgce

Enthusiast
Dear All,

Haha..... actually a lot of the discussion are out of my knowledge.
I really hope my thread do not create to any argument.

I think everyone just want to share their best to me.

Cheers.;);)

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
This IMO would not be a good classical speaker. But for Marilyn Manson yes.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey Mazer, wouldn't Manson sound better on a speaker that you would pick for classical? BTW: I'm resisting my urge to start Manson bashing.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
In theory, yes. But when you consider the finer points of practical use, then the answer is: not necessarily.

I pointed out earlier that the human hearing system tends to perceive easiest, the longest delays/reverbs, whether these are from the room, or from the recording. With the minimum set up of a true wide band omnipolar speaker in a normal room, significant room delay/reverb will be present. Now, this can be minimized to work well with all music types, but it's not likely in what amounts to casual placement of the speakers with little to no acoustical treatments to specifically address this issue. In the original posters circumstance, his set up is going to have significant delays that will be of negative consequence when the recorded music has very short or no delay/reverb. Now, the original poster wants to primarily listen to classical music. Nearly all of such music has substantial delays/reverb as a consequence of the recording environment(s) typical for this music genre. As such, this would dominate the perceived playback, with the room signature delay/reverb with much shorter time window would be heavily masked. Now, if you play back studio recorded music with little to no delay/reverb(rather common on present day pop/rock/etc.), the room is going to become far more audible, most likely to an annoying extent. In addition, most omnipolar speakers have substantially lower output SPL ability as compared to monopolar speakers - there for if one likes to listen at moderately high SPL - the speaker's mechanical limitations, and even amplifier limitations, may become an issue.

Now, one could have large broadband absorber panels and perhaps some diffusors to put on the side walls, and set these up behind the omnipolar speakers to remove the rear reflection(s) for low delay/low reverb music, and avoid many of the room problems. Then take down these devices for classical music or other music with heavy/long delay/reverb. If one is willing to do this, them they could have the best of two worlds. However, one more factor enters here: treble power. With an omnipolar design, the treble will usually be reduced in level more, as compared to a monpolar design, as the amount of total radiated power in both circumstances is radically different in proportion with the midbass band. The correction for this would be to add a shelving filter to the line level signal to boost/reduce the treble power for each mode of operation. A digital DSP EQ would make this a simple/easy adjustment.

-Chris

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
Hi All,

I already source for the information online for a few week, there are plenty of speakers in the market, after some research, I'm narrow down the choice to a pair of Jamo bookshelf speaker C 803. But I haven't had a chance to listen to them yet, maybe will get some audition this weekend.

Meanwhile, just wondering is there any other choices that is good on classical music? My living room is about 18x20 foot. of course my budget is not more than $800.

Appreciate anyone can give me some recommendation.
I'd be looking for bookshelves with good bass extension (are you planning on adding a sub?)

My first choice would be a pair of Ascend CMT-340. I'd also look at Polk LSi9's. The Polks need some power...not sure what you'll be driving them with.

You can get all crazy with omnipolars and acoustic panels, active crossovers, dual subs, sound meters and get better sound no doubt. But if you want a good sounding pair of bookshelves and aren't planning on getting out a sound meter and measuring tape, neither of the above speakers will do you wrong ;)

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I'd be looking for bookshelves with good bass extension

My first choice would be a pair of Ascend CMT-340. I'd also look at Polk LSi9's.
Ascend 340's bass extention??? :eek:

LSi9's I would agree with. Excellent low end. :D

J

jamie2112

Banned
The Jamos are great speakers for classical music. The c 607 reproduces a full symphony very well.....

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I concur with the Ascend recommendations for classical music. Wide soundstage and pinpoint imaging. I have had bad experiences with Lsi, but firstly I am truly the rarity here, and secondly the listening was done in a less than ideal room.

I almost exclusively listen to classical. I have, I don't know, maybe 6 cd books filled up, and 5 of them are classical. During auditions, I always had at least 6 cd's, which 5 would always be classical. Chamber, orchestral, guitar, choral, and solo piano, at the very least for my auditioning array.

So far... and my opinion is always subject to change... I vote Ascend for modest budgets + classical.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
louisgce. Welcome to the nutty world of audiophylia. Hopefully with all this advice we have narrowed your choice down considerably, say to the best 100 or so speakers in your category. ;)

Not to worry about that argument stuff, if it wasn't your post, we would have found another.

Seriously, there are a lot of good speakers out there that you will probably be happy with, and the differences between some/many of them will probably be subtle. Pick some, take your favourite music and listen. Take notes if you like doing that sort of thing.

If you can narrow it down to two that seem to stand out, see if you can audition them in your home at the same time. Pick one, don't worry, be happy... and if you miss us, we'll still be here arg, er, discussing .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis