which speaker is good on classical music?

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

louisgce

Enthusiast
Hi All,

I already source for the information online for a few week, there are plenty of speakers in the market, after some research, I'm narrow down the choice to a pair of Jamo bookshelf speaker C 803. But I haven't had a chance to listen to them yet, maybe will get some audition this weekend.

Meanwhile, just wondering is there any other choices that is good on classical music? My living room is about 18x20 foot. of course my budget is not more than $800.

Appreciate anyone can give me some recommendation.

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
Out of curiosity, what other speakers did you consider?

Personally, I like Aperion Audio speakers. My 533Ts sound great. Aperion has recently redesigned their lineup. I have not heard any of them. The 6B bookshelf speakers would be in your budget.

The Jamos look nice. I've never heard them before.

-pat

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Seriously, classical music is the HARDEST music to reproduce realistically, of any type, since all of the instruments are acoustic/unamplified and the supposed space is a large chamber or huge hall.

For starters, look for speakers with the widest off axis/even dispersion and lowest resonance(both cabinets and drivers). You need to allow plenty of space for the speakers to be placed from the walls, if you actually find speakers with desirable characteristics in your budget range. Speaking of which - what is your budget range?

-Chris

L

louisgce

Enthusiast
Hi pzaur,
at first, i'm looking at yamaha soava-2. But found to be too pricey to me.

Hi WmAx,
I'm not looking for those high-end, not affordable....
Plan to get a pair of front speaker first, other can add later. Because my space is quite limited, so prefer a bookshelf instead of floorstanding, but i don't mind to consider floorstanding if the sound is significantly better.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Hi pzaur,
at first, i'm looking at yamaha soava-2. But found to be too pricey to me.

Hi WmAx,
I'm not looking for those high-end, not affordable....
Plan to get a pair of front speaker first, other can add later. Because my space is quite limited, so prefer a bookshelf instead of floorstanding, but i don't mind to consider floorstanding if the sound is significantly better.
You have not yet given a budget range/limit.

-Chris

L

louisgce

Enthusiast
Hi Chris,

My budget is not more than $800 for a pair, already stated on the beginning of this thread.

Cheer.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I am going to make an unusual recommendation, because your music choice is rather different from most on this forum. I will recommend the Morrison Audio Model 7. It is a small omnipolar speaker of moderate quality. It takes special care in dampening the backwave, and it has a very linear off axis response through out it's full bandwidth. It is a small speaker, and has only modest SPL ability, and ideally should be paired with stereo subwoofers, one placed near each speaker, and crossed using a precision active crossover. But the stereo subs and active crossover could wait until a later date.

You do need to place such a speaker several feet(ideally 4-5) from the rear wall, and about 2' from side walls. If you can't do that kind of placement, then you need to completely ignore this suggestion, as an omnipolar is a disaster when placed near the walls.

Later, you should add the stereo subs and a capable DSP xover/EQ device like the Behringer DCX2496 to extract the most performance from the set up.

The Model 7 will be slightly above your stated budget(around $900-$1000/pair), but I don't think you are likely to find a better speaker for primarily classical music listening in this price range.

Probably not a great idea for HT use, if that is important, due to the modest SPL ability.

http://www.morrisonaudio.com/index.htm

-Chris

L

louisgce

Enthusiast
Hi Chris,

Don't quite understand about your short-form(SPL,DSP). Sorry, I just starting on this.

Thanks for the great advice, but I'm afraid that I really don't have such a big space to place the omnipolar speaker, my living room is quite congested actually.... there are dining table, desk, chairs & a TV.

anyway, i think it is still possible for me to place the speakers 2-3ft away from the wall. I already own a small yamaha sub, it is from the old HT system, I think i would temporarily stick to it first.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Hi Chris,

Don't quite understand about your short-form(SPL,DSP). Sorry, I just starting on this.
DSP= Digital Signal Processor/Processing

SPL=Sound Pressure Level/loudness

Thanks for the great advice, but I'm afraid that I really don't have such a big space to place the omnipolar speaker, my living room is quite congested actually.... there are dining table, desk, chairs & a TV.

anyway, i think it is still possible for me to place the speakers 2-3ft away from the wall. I already own a small yamaha sub, it is from the old HT system, I think i would temporarily stick to it first.
The absolute minimum you could get away with using omnipolar units is 3' from the rear wall and 1.5' from the side walls.

-Chris

J

jamie2112

Banned
Hi Chris,

SPL means "sound pressure level" and DSP "digital signal processor" Chris is the man on this issue....oh you already beat me to it. Like I said you da man....

Last edited:
L

louisgce

Enthusiast
Hi Chris,

The morrison model 7 really looks interesting.
Really appreciate for your help. I try to upload a floor plan, just wondering could I place the speakers beside the tv?

Need your further advice, seriously.

Last edited:
WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Hi Chris,

The morrison model 7 really looks interesting.
Really appreciate for your help. I try to upload a floor plan, just wondering could I place the speakers beside the tv?

Need your further advice, seriously.
Tough situation. Of course, be sure you have the speakers at very minimum 3' from that back wall. You would have to move the tv to the left by about 2'. You then place the right omnipolar about 1' from the side of the tv, just to the inside of it. However, doing this, you need to place some acoustic absorption material on the side of the tv to prevent the omnipolar from reflecting at this point. For the left speaker, place it in similar position. However, you need to enhance the left side reflection. Do this by placing a large flat sided object 3' approximately, to the side and slightly forward, of the left speaker. You could for example use one of those decorative folding screens and position just right to accomplish the needed effect. Also, ideally, you would sit closer to the speakers for optimum sound experience. You want a greater relative separation and closer sitting proximity, ideally.

Again, please remember, these speakers are of modest SPL/loudness ability, if you plan to use these for home theater. If you want loud/dynamic home theater sound to replicate the SPLs you get at the cinema, these are not a good choice. I recommend these solely for the purpose of maximizing classical music enjoyment/realism within the available budget range. Down the road, plan to add stereo matching subs, one near each speaker, and use active crossover to properly combine them(do not just use a sub and then run the speakers full range). A couple of small 8" subs of modest quality are all that is needed. If you have not yet purchased the receiver/preamp/amp or whatever you will use, you should consult me on what type of gear to get in order to make the future enhancements feasible. The stereo subs, properly integrated to my specification, will be a seamless extension of the main speakers and only enhance the music. A standard home theater style subwoofer addition will be a pros/cons kind of situation; many people actually eschew subs in such situations for music due to lack of knowledge in regards to successful integration techniques.

-Chris

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/Image-Series/Image-T45-Tower

or

http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/Image-Series/Image-T55-Tower

I own the T45s and have a fairly large classical collection in both CD and vinyl format. I love these speakers for classical. Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto in D sound so amazing on these, especialy in the 1st movement where the two violins are moving in and out of tune with respect to one another. The treble is revealing without sounding harsh. These speakers invite one to listen rather than push the sound in your face. Tonality wise, these speakers are spot on.

These speakers throw a very wide soundstage with good imaging. If you have a dealer, its worth an audition. They may not be to your taste since I hear differently from you. All I can say is that I find them very good with classical.

You may have to visit your layout as its not the best. Ideally you want the speakers away from the side & back walls by at least a foot minimum. Its best that both speakers surroundings were the same, not one have walls while the other is standing free and in the open. Throws off the imaging of the speakers. Ideally as well, you want to sit the same nce away from your speakers that the speakers themselves are seperated from...ie equalateral triangle is what I'm trying to say.

I hope this helps. :) Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
The Era D4 is my favorite small bookshelf speaker in that price range. It will probably be under budget. But it's a beautiful sounding, small speaker that can be wall mounted easily. They also have furniture grade finishes that are outstanding. Their extension is down to about 58Hz (not bad for it's size), but perfectly suited for use with a sub.

The D4 combined with a Hsu STF-2 when you get the chance would make a sweet little system for a small space on a budget.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Do some research around the audio forum world on these speakers from ID companies.

Asend Acoustic
Sierra-1
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRM1/srm1.html

SVS (IMO an outstanding speaker to re-produce classical music)
SBS-01
http://www.svsound.com/products-spks-mts01.cfm

Swan
D2.1SE
http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php/loudspeakers/swan-high-end/p/swan-d2-1se/cPath/21_23/products_id/69

These are over your budget. You can purchase these on sale, or b-stock anywhere from $1200-$1500 bucks. I just want to point these out to you, because IMO for classical these would be incredible. IMO worth saving for.

AV123
Strata Mini
http://av123.com/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,34/category_id,18/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,37/

C

cornelius

Full Audioholic
I think Chris is sort of on the right track. I haven't heard the Morrison Audio speakers, but I can recommend Ohm MicroWalsh Talls (I own a pair).

These are going to be a lot easier to place, because they're not true omni-directional speakers (they don't radiate 360 degrees - but almost). They're very easy to place in a room, the only thing is they don't like overly "live" rooms (most speakers don't). The sweet spot is huge, so you'll be able to be anywhere in the room to enjoy your music - this makes placement a lot easier...

When I put on some big orchestral pieces, I heard (saw) for the first time the orchestra physically laid out in front of me. In this price range, I have yet to hear another speaker achieve this.

http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/walsh/micro.html

If you email your room layout and call Ohm, they'll give you great advise on what to do.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
I went to this site and was generally impressed by this idea (I've certainly seen some very expensive speakers focus on some of the same things).

I disagreed with some of his criticisms about forward-firing loudspeakers (he fails to understand ears), but it wasn't too bad. Then I got to "Don's Views".

It's hard to take these speakers seriously when the creator(?) is so adamantly trying to correct for patently false claims. I'm tempted to start a rant on his rant.

(one quick example: It is indeed quite possible to create stereo well from monoaurial recordings of insturments. In fact, the same algorithms used to ray-trace light work qite well in sound. )

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto in D sound so amazing on these, especialy in the 1st movement where the two violins are moving in and out of tune with respect to one another.
Just FYI, its only one violin. I believe I know what part you are talking about. I did succeed in losing my lone recording, and my copy of the score. I've worked on this mvmt many, many years ago, so Im decently familiar with it. Its just one violin. Yes, this mvmt is very difficult, and unlike a lot of other violin works, this one is ridiculously demanding in terms of right arm endurance. And the contrapuntal lines are not described as "out of tune", for they are perfectly in tune.

Once you get over your shock that a single instrument can do that, you should check out Bach fugues. If you love violin, try the sonatas and partitas. My favorite Bach stuff are fugues for the keyboard, if I had to pick something.

edit: recommendation
http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Sonatas-Partitas-Solo-Violin/dp/B000001GXY

though the Perlman recording will have better AQ most likely.

edit #2, though I like Milstein, I don't recommend his Bach as much, just throwing out my opinion...

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Just FYI, its only one violin. I believe I know what part you are talking about. I did succeed in losing my lone recording, and my copy of the score. I've worked on this mvmt many, many years ago, so Im decently familiar with it. Its just one violin. Yes, this mvmt is very difficult, and unlike a lot of other violin works, this one is ridiculously demanding in terms of right arm endurance. And the contrapuntal lines are not described as "out of tune", for they are perfectly in tune.

Once you get over your shock that a single instrument can do that, you should check out Bach fugues. If you love violin, try the sonatas and partitas. My favorite Bach stuff are fugues for the keyboard, if I had to pick something.

edit: recommendation
http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Sonatas-Partitas-Solo-Violin/dp/B000001GXY

though the Perlman recording will have better AQ most likely.

edit #2, though I like Milstein, I don't recommend his Bach as much, just throwing out my opinion...

Wow. One violin eh? That makes that work even more special.

This piece is an absolute acid test for a speakers tweeters and I must say that both the T45s and my older 1Bs flew through this without sounding harsh or strained. I'll think I listen to that piece tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis